Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd rather kill my own. That is, if you're OK with that.

Then go kill a cow, not much cholesterol in an old canner. (See above post for a rational answer.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok, so I have to buy a rifle, but I had a rifle anyways and I had ammo anyways, so I filled my freezer for the past 2 years for free.

I'd rather eat venison than I would beef.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Then go kill a cow, not much cholesterol in an old canner. (See above post for a rational answer.)

I would rather have a deer, elk or moose. You kill the cow.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Point is, "it's for the meat and nothing else" is a poor rationalization.

That would be a poor rationalization if that was what I'd said.

But it's not even close to what I said. I said "sometimes I just want the meat" and you changed that to "and nothing else."

Sometimes, I just want the meat. Do you doubt that? When I get a late season doe or cow tag, and go out to fill it, that means the freezer needs filling because I didn't get a buck and/or bull. I'd rather eat game meat than beef. Do you doubt that too?

It's also an acknowledgement that some people do in fact hunt just for the meat. For them, it's not about "fair chase," it's about filling the freezer and a 1,000 yard shot is just as ethical as a 1,000 yard trip to the grocery store.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You gotta have your egress routes down pretty solid if you want to shoot a cow.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could tell a story but it's better for a real campfire.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What is the best bullet and caliber if you need to take a "raking shot" at a bad angle on a cow? Is a 7-08 enough gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's been a few cows I would have liked to kill. laugh

I like venison too as a change from domestic meat but I can buy that, at least buffalo locally. Guns and gear and vehicles and time, not to mention years when you get nothing back but tag soup, make game meat pretty spendy per pound for most people. I hunt for other reasons, the meat is a part of it but more of a delightful bonus. If you examine the question of, "Why do I hunt" critically there is more to it than just meat. Or shooting a cow or deer in a pen would be just as satisfying.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Its NOT a CCI Mini-Mag

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's been a few cows I would have liked to kill. laugh

I like venison too as a change from domestic meat but I can buy that, at least buffalo locally. Guns and gear and vehicles and time, not to mention years when you get nothing back but tag soup, make game meat pretty spendy per pound for most people. I hunt for other reasons, the meat is a part of it but more of a delightful bonus. If you examine the question of, "Why do I hunt" critically there is more to it than just meat. Or shooting a cow or deer in a pen would be just as satisfying.

Again, it's been free for me the past few years.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you examine the question of, "Why do I hunt" critically there is more to it than just meat. Or shooting a cow or deer in a pen would be just as satisfying.

No one said otherwise. Also, if you look at how the majority of people answer the question "why do you hunt," just recently for the first time ever, getting the meat was the #1 answer.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What is the best bullet and caliber if you need to take a "raking shot" at a bad angle on a cow? Is a 7-08 enough gun?

My neighbor has a problem with fencing, and I have a problem with his cows eating my corn. I find the 45/70 an excellent all around cow gun.

As my neighbor likely does not own a computer, know how to read, or seem to give a schit about his cows, I am able to comment on the effectiveness of the .45 government as a cow dispatcher of choice.

He seems to "loose" a few every year usually during the best part of hunting season so he can chase around on a four wheeler and F up everyone else's hunting. If we had a test to own and operate a 4 wheeler, there may be generally less of those, and that would be a greater benefit in the overall scheme of things than than marksmanship test I suggested earlier.

Last edited by tcp; 07/14/14.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is the 45/70 a good choice for "raking shots" on 4-wheelers? Or do you have to wait until they're broadside?

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I do not own a four wheeler. My Marlin Guide Gun has proven quite handy from the seat of a tractor and effective at both frontal and "raking" shots. 360 grain cast bullets seem to work well at all the yardages I am comfortable using iron sights.

Should others want to shoot their nuisance cows at ultra long range using lots of gizmos its fine by me.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the 45/70 a good choice for "raking shots" on 4-wheelers? Or do you have to wait until they're broadside?

The .45-70 is awesome for everything. I'm sure it crushes four wheelers.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
These sum it up pretty well.

Originally Posted by deflave

If I want to see nature, I go camping.

If I want to kill schit, I go hunting.

Travis

A shooting test?

[bleep] that schit.

You can't regulate stupid people. So don't try.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by moosemike

The .45-70 is awesome for everything. I'm sure it crushes four wheelers.

Yup, I wasn't talking about shooting from a four-wheeler......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think allowing folks to use those four-legged horse thingies in the backcountry is bullschit.

Travis

Well if you chase game half way across the prairie so you can get up next to them and stick an arrow in...

So it's unfair to use it to kill the animal, but not to bring it out?

Travis

No, but chasing from "vehicles" is clearly traditional and primitive. Norms change. And Indians lost a few so chasing bison and I guess ATVers would too. Does that make it fair chase?

Yeah, just throwing dust in the air. wink

Which explains a lot.
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.