Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents:

Am looking for a small utility/day pack to wear on my back that would have a concealed holster of some type large enough for a Browning Hi-Power. Would like to be able to access the pistol easily without removing the pak.

Any idears?

Appreciate input,
tom

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a pack to wear on your front? smile

I have one of these, and really like it. Much more comfortable than it looks.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...etails/mid/1916/ProductID/6/Default.aspx

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a day pack with a pocket in the top flap. I am sure it was intended for a map or other quick access item but it fits my 1911 just right. The zipper faces the front and I leave it unzipped. I can easily reach behind my head to access the pistol.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Mauser--any problems with the pistol staying put w/the zipper open?

Jordan: is it still pretty fast to get into being zippered?

interesting, have not considered a front pack until now...I know it won't work for my wife...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
oops--just saw the video link...looks pretty fast--as long as you pull the right zipper, I imagine...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tomk
Gents:

Am looking for a small utility/day pack to wear on my back that would have a concealed holster of some type large enough for a Browning Hi-Power. Would like to be able to access the pistol easily without removing the pak.

Any idears?

Appreciate input,
tom

I've got this one:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FATBOY-VERSIPACK-29p31.htm

And this one:

http://www.511tactical.com/rush-moab-6.html

I like them both and they both have a pocket designed for a pistol. The Fatboy may be a little small for the high power, but it may be close. My full size Xdm won't quite fit, but midsize and smaller would work.

You won't have any problem with the 5.11 Rush 6 in terms of it fitting. This pack is a little bigger than the Fat Boy. It is also the pack that I use more often. I use it when I'm riding my bike to work and it works great.

You can get multitudes of color options for either one.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, they aren't too concealed...in a pack--but I do like looking at the girls wearing those...

Gents, I admit to be a throwback to another age and don't wanna step on you younger guys feelers in any way, but just gotta say here, it will never ever ever never get cold enough for me to walk around in the hinterlands of the UP with something that looks like I borrowed it from my daughter...

The Hills people deal might work though--was hoping to hear from someone who had a utility or daypak that you could kinda reach behind yer back and access said Browning without to much angst. Now that I pontificate some more, it do appear easier when hanging in front of you...

Wrecks being wrecks, reaching up quickly over my head might not be a good idea on those occasional days when the hydraulics aren't working real well...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Anything else is a huge mistake.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Gents, I admit to be a throwback to another age and don't wanna step on you younger guys feelers in any way, but just gotta say here, it will never ever ever never get cold enough for me to walk around in the hinterlands of the UP with something that looks like I borrowed it from my daughter...

I guess I'm semi-young (early 40's), but I don't think that the Moab 6 I recommended looks like something borrowed from a woman. But, hey, maybe it does. eek Oh well. It goes across the back like you wanted, but because its a sling pack it's really easy to bring it around the the front to access the pistol quickly.

Pic borrowed from the web, but this is the one I have:
[Linked Image]

I use mine when riding bike to work and when hiking. I don't "wear it around town".

Last edited by RyanTX; 07/15/14.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'll second the Hill People Kit bag, it's great. The handgun compartment is constructed so that you can rip open the zippers easily without having to pull on them. Here's a pic of me this past weekend with mine. Had an S&W revolver, camera, binos, and snacks in there, barely knew I was wearing it:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Another vote for the Hillpeople Gear rigs. It wears well under all my packs and affords very quick access to my handgun. It allows me to access my rangefinder, winddust and leatherman w/out having grope for them on my belt or remove my pack. The best part is I can remove my pack w/out being separated from my handgun. The construction quality and materials are outstanding as are the people you deal with.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mauser--any problems with the pistol staying put w/the zipper open?

Jordan: is it still pretty fast to get into being zippered?

interesting, have not considered a front pack until now...I know it won't work for my wife...:)

No issues. the pistol stays put. The pistol rests on the back side of the pack with the zippered opening just barely facing front. It is an easy reach.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for all the input, Gents.

Will spring for the Hill gear and give it a shot

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A good move. This is one of my favorite pieces of gear I've bought in recent years. The handgun compartment is in the rear and has two zippers. They can be left parked at a corner with the corner slightly open. Insert a thumb and pull and the zippers will give way giving instant access. As quick as a holster IMO. The back compartment is dedicated to the handgun you're carrying so you don't have to monkey around a loaded gun while accessing other gear.
The separate front compartment can be used for maps, gps, compass, reading glasses, snacks, knife, etc, etc.
The harness can be removed and the kit bag attached to your backpack straps(which is the way I usually use it). I've also worn it with its harness and a backpack on top with no issues. This allows you to remove your pack but keep the kitbag on around camp.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Zackly what I was gonna suggest. I love mine!! It is perfect for me. I bought two. It is more versatile than you realize.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

If you buy it & don't like it, send me a p.m. & I will pay what you have in it including shipping.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
grinning, appreciate the offer reloder...

did you combine the kit bag with any of their other packs?

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No sir, just the kit bag. I absolutely love it.

Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.