Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is the latest?? Seems around here ammo is not to be found. Wal-Mart says they get 1-2 bricks in at a time, every week or two ??

Are individual re-sellers shorting the store inventory at the distributor level, or is the production not running as in the past? Seems the hoarding would have ended by now and folks would have enough already.

What gives?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Production is running at a higher rate than in the past, but demand is still outstripping production, due to hoarders, re-sellers, new shooters and even gun companies, since they're selling so many guns they need more ammo for test-firing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the insight John. Seems ironic sales go up in guns in 22LR
when ammo seems dried up - but maybe those already hoarded a stash.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I understand the domestic production of .22 LR is about 12 million rounds a day, more or less. If there are, say, 36 million people who own and shoot .22's, that amounts to one round being manufactured for each shooter every 3 days.

Before the panic, most shooters probably felt OK if they had a brick or two on hand, and assumed they could stop by the LGS and pick up a few boxes any time they needed it. But now, just about EVERYBODY who owns a .22 would be a "hoarder" if given a chance to buy ammo at a price they felt was reasonable.

I don't think that any informed rimfire shooter would ever feel OK again with just a brick or two of ammo on hand, after experiencing the shortage of the past 2 years. Therefore, ammo gets snapped up faster than it can be manufactured and the shortage feeds on and perpetuates itself.

If you were not accumulating .22 ammo over the years to build a decent supply, you are probably trying to hoard it now, if you define "hoarding" as buying more than you anticipate using in the immediate future.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/15/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, a lot of people are "hoarders" now, even though they ay not think of themselves that way, but the re-sellers have a major effect, especially on prices outside of stores.

If the re-sellers hadn't gotten into the act I suspect we'd be seeing .22 ammo on more store shelves--just like we're seeing .223 ammo. The re-sellers, however, either can't or won't pay the price for .223 ammo to resell. Instead they find stores where .22 rimfire is still priced relatively low, just enough for the store to make it's normal profit.

I didn't buy any .22 rimfire ammo during the first year of the panic, since I had enough on hand. But when things were still just as crazy after a year I decided screw it, and bought a few bricks of practice ammo when it showed up for a reasonable price on the Internet. I don't do much much varmint hunting with hollow-point .22 ammo anymore, preferring the .17's and .22 Magnum, and already had a plentiful supply of hunting ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I stopped by the sporting goods dept in a Walmart Sunday evening and (of course) asked if they had .22 ammo. The man at the counter told me they haven't had any arrive in two months and that it has gotten worse rather than better. I wasn't expecting them to have any ammo on a Sunday evening but I wasn't expecting to hear things were the worst they'd been.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been seeing 22lr ammo in the local small gun shop here in st Louis last couple times I was in there. not a huge selection in terms of brands but ammo to be had none the less.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I expected by now that more European made RF would by showing up on the shelves.

Last edited by websterparish47; 07/15/14.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is getting better. I've picked up 2,500 rounds or so over the last few months without even really trying, just buying it when I see it...mostly at Academy. It used to be that in order to get any, you had to be waiting in line when the door opened and standing at the counter when they brought it up from the truck. Now, if you just walk back to the gun section sometime during the day of a shipment, there are pretty good odds that you will get some if you want it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last visit to a Sportman's Warehouse I was advised to be there Thursday morning at opening. It's 140 miles away, so I don't think so.

1Minute
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I understand the domestic production of .22 LR is about 12 million rounds a day, more or less. If there are, say, 36 million people who own and shoot .22's, that amounts to one round being manufactured for each shooter every 3 days.

Before the panic, most shooters probably felt OK if they had a brick or two on hand, and assumed they could stop by the LGS and pick up a few boxes any time they needed it. But now, just about EVERYBODY who owns a .22 would be a "hoarder" if given a chance to buy ammo at a price they felt was reasonable.

I don't think that any informed rimfire shooter would ever feel OK again with just a brick or two of ammo on hand, after experiencing the shortage of the past 2 years. Therefore, ammo gets snapped up faster than it can be manufactured and the shortage feeds on and perpetuates itself.

If you were not accumulating .22 ammo over the years to build a decent supply, you are probably trying to hoard it now, if you define "hoarding" as buying more than you anticipate using in the immediate future.

Well stated.

It amazes me that in these times people seem to call a person a hoarder for buying 2 bricks of 22 ammo. When I bought my current supply of 22 ammo 10+ years ago to have an available inventory, never did the words Hoarder come to mind. Those of us that live in the country do the same when we grocery shop, we buy more than we need so we don't have to drive to town to get groceries and supplies, save gas, and avoid the city folk at the supermarkets ( lol). I fill my pantry with goods for a rainy day just like I used to do with ammo. I am just now using up primers I also bought 20 years ago, mainly purchased at a good price, for future use.

The only way I would use the term HOARDING is for those that are buying to resell, not for the intelligent buyers stocking up when a product is available. These anti-hoarding threads do nothing for us, maybe a way to vent for those that don't "wisely buy in bulk" LOL.

Allen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
websterparish,

There is more European (and other foreign) .22 ammo showing up, but mostly on Internet ordering sites, perhaps because some is just as expensive as re-sellers are asking. Midway's had a bunch of Aguila, Eley, Fiocchi, Norma and RWS .22 Long rifle for sale.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I work part-time at a 'big box' sporting goods store, and we are getting quite a bit of 22LR each week.

We do have a group of individuals that 'storm' the ammo aisle every morning when we open, looking for 22LR. It is the same guys, each and every morning. I suspect they are speculators.

I have noticed that, in general, the customers who come in in the morning will buy all they can, whereas I have seen customers in the late afternoon come in and only buy 1 box, instead of all they can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can buy truck loads of 22 rimfire ammo about any day of the week on internet auctions. The stuff never seems to dry up, and the guys putting it on the auction blocks have no trouble keeping tons on hand for sale. It aint like going into the local Walmart and purchasing it at normal prices, but if anyone had to have 22 ammo, you can buy it anytime you wish, if you are willing to pay the internet re-seller price.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
websterparish,

There is more European (and other foreign) .22 ammo showing up, but mostly on Internet ordering sites, perhaps because some is just as expensive as re-sellers are asking. Midway's had a bunch of Aguila, Eley, Fiocchi, Norma and RWS .22 Long rifle for sale.

Yes sir, that's true. Although a quick check shows only Eley and Norma available at this time.(only checked the first five pages)

I don't think my old Rem.552 would benefit much from either. I guess Europeans don't make "promotional"ammo.

I still have a brick of CCI Green tag I bought when Clinton was running for Pres. After that's gone I'll go to the Wolf Target Match I got when Obammy was running the first time. After that I'll have to pay whatever the market bares.

Hmmm, wonder if Privi Partison makes RF. Their CF is pretty good and very reasonable.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can thin out the Midway list considerably by clicking some of the options on the left side of the page, especially by eliminating "Out of Stock" items. Right now the .22 Long Rifle in stock is Eley, Norma and RWS, but over the past few months often they've also had Aguila and sometimes Fiocchi, though the Aguila tends to go quicker than the others because some is priced considerably lower. I've picked up three bricks of cheaper Aguila myself when it appears, one brick of target ammo for around $45 as I recall, and two of non-target for around $35.

You do have to check now and then to find when it's in, but the trip only requires a couple minutes on the Internet, instead of the gas and time to check brick-and-mortar stores. I also pick up bargains in bullets and brass now and then from Midway, and some of them in the same order reduces the per-item shipping rate for a brick or two of ammo.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've picked up Aquila shorts from them (midway) for about 37.50 a brick.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
it's hit or miss around here in North Florida. No consistency with availability.
I am still not convinced that the various manufacturers are making it like they say they are.
I'm still not convinced that .gov isn't involved with the supply issue.
Tin foil or not, the unavailability beggars credulity.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Walked into a well stocked LGS today. Lots if everything available with quantity restrictions on powder/primers.

Walked out with 5# jug of RX 7 and the first brick of rimfire ammo I've purchased in years. Win production .22 WRF. Never hoarded rimfire in the past, just did not need to purchase any. Don't plink and spend little time at the range.

It was a bit unusual to see thousands of boxes of bullets in most every caliber and weight imaginable but not a single box I wanted however. They did have a lot of brass. Anyone need some .45-120 Norma brass? See Space Coast Cast Bullets online.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought this issue had been settled a long time ago - weren't the sole causes of the shortages found to be hoarding by Mule Deer (with his secret connections) with the actual ammo being sold by Shrapnel, splitting the profits to pad their respective off shore bank accounts?

David

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.