Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
JK1986 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Been looking at getting a new rifle for hunting in general but mainly for deer. I have already purchased a 3-10X50 Meostar for the new setup. Now I have completely confused myself with what rifle to mount it on. Where I live I do not get the opportunity to hold a lot of different brands and models so it will have to be an ordered in rifle more than likely. I was dead set on a Kimber Montana in 7-08 until I read all the accuracy horror stories. I would hate to chance the funds on a rifle that has a history of accuracy issues. If those are a thing of the past then I would lean that route. Really would like to keep the cost around $1k give or take a few hundred and rather have a stainless/synthetic over wood but either is fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

BP-B6

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My choice would be a Winchester M 70 Ultimate Shadow in either .30-06 or .270.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having done a Kimber and a Weatherby, I think I'd look hard at a Sako M85 Finnlight

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't be afraid of the Kimber. A little tinkering (if needed) will make them shoot and you will have one of the best handling, best feeling rifles available.

PS. I have had but one rifle in the last 10 years that needed no tinkering; a Cooper 7mm-08. But, they are a little more than you said you wanted to spend.

Cooper Excaliber stainless 7mm-08. I know, just a three shot group, but it does it over, and over, and over. This is with 140 gr. Partitions over RL-15.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weight is 7 lbs. 2 ozs. with Talley lightweights and an FX II 6x36 on board.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer hunting is an awfully broad description of the hunting you intend to do and says nothing about the terrain. Size of deer (100lb or 250 lb) and type of hunting (stand in the woods or hiking above timberline) also would help in getting recommendations that would fit your situation.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Tikka T3 in 300wsm should be great medicine on any deer in any terrain.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Montana 7mm-08. It shoots very well but is more difficult to shoot well than my heavier rifles. It takes better technique and better concentration. If you want light right at $1000, there is no equal to the Montana.

If you want a good rifle still fairly light, the Tikka Superlight sold at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas's is a very good choice.

If you want a good rifle in moderate weight, a model 70 Winchester is a find choice. I would say Rem 700 too but I would rather have an older one than a new one.

If you want a decent rifle at a great price the Ruger American is tops IMHO.

If I wanted assurance of accuracy in the least weight I would save a little more and get the Cooper Excalibur.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by LoneWati
Tikka T3 in 300wsm should be great medicine on any deer in any terrain.

Why in the world do you need a 300 wsm to kill a deer?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
RH,You can't kill deer too dead..

mk, I am a long time Rem. fan.. But as someone said, I would prefer older 700's. I agree with elkhuntermn. I bought my first model 70 in many years.. After shooting it, I don't see how you could go wrong.. The ONLY thing I have against is the trigger adjustment.. But the fit, finish, and accuracy of the rifle left nothing to be desired.. Go 7mm-08 if your heart is set on it, but again, like elk, I would go 30-06 or .270. If I were buying this afternoon, it would be a .270.. I have all three and killed game with all three. Second would be the 06, and a distant third the 08.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I were going to buy a new factory sporter in the price range you mentioned, I'd be looking very hard at the Winchester M70 EW in .308.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
TC Venture 30/06 165 grn.hornady interloc btsp 50gr imr 4064 seated to the cannalure.mine shoots these sub moa out to 500yrds.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What would a Winchester 70 Featherweight Compact in McMillan Edge weigh? I'm thinking that it would come in under six pounds and all told, run about $1,200 or so.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

J
JK1986 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Deer hunting is an awfully broad description of the hunting you intend to do and says nothing about the terrain. Size of deer (100lb or 250 lb) and type of hunting (stand in the woods or hiking above timberline) also would help in getting recommendations that would fit your situation.

Average size of deer runs between 165-230lbs. Terrain is both thick and open. This will be a stand rifle but need to be suited for the stalk into the stand as well. A walk up to or over a mile with a treestand and gear on your back weighing close to 30lbs is normal. Most hikes are on average 45min -1hr. Vegetation and terrain is very diverse. One minute you are on flat ground next can be barely making it up the side of a steep ridge. Visible distances can go from not seeing more than 10yds to wide open up to 300yds. If I know the stand setup is relatively thick and the shots are known to be close I carry my brush rifle which is a Rem. 760 in 30-06.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by mkirk
Where I live I do not get the opportunity to hold a lot of different brands and models so it will have to be an ordered in rifle more than likely.
I have been pondering a new Howa Stainless Alpine model mountain rifle, they can be ordered with a Bansner stock installed and a 20" #1 contour barrel available in 7mm/08 or .308 Win..

Also would like to have a new Tikka Stainless Camo rifle.

I trust both of these brands for consistent quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Average size of deer runs between 165-230lbs. Terrain is both thick and open. This will be a stand rifle but need to be suited for the stalk into the stand as well. A walk up to or over a mile with a treestand and gear on your back weighing close to 30lbs is normal. Most hikes are on average 45min -1hr. Vegetation and terrain is very diverse. One minute you are on flat ground next can be barely making it up the side of a steep ridge. Visible distances can go from not seeing more than 10yds to wide open up to 300yds. If I know the stand setup is relatively thick and the shots are known to be close I carry my brush rifle which is a Rem. 760 in 30-06.

Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Given your criteria, I would favor staying with 308 and above for that size deer although you could certainly go smaller and I'm sure there will be a hue and cry about shooting deer with tiny bullets but that is just not me. Since you already have an -06 that would be my first choice.
Next would be rifles and again just my $.02 but I favor medium to lightweight bolt action rifles especially when you are packing a lot of stuff so about 8 lbs all up is my limit including sling, scope, mounts, and full mag. The M70 FWT is about as heavy as I would consider and I have one of the newer ones and the fit and finish are very nice. Also have a Kimber and they may need a bit of tweaking but don't be afraid of them.
Don't have any experience with Tikka but they are well regarded. Wouldn't be afraid to look at a used M700 or other brands that you could pick up inexpensively and customize and still stay within your budget.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been looking at getting a new rifle for hunting in general but mainly for deer. I have already purchased a 3-10X50 Meostar for the new setup. Now I have completely confused myself with what rifle to mount it on. Where I live I do not get the opportunity to hold a lot of different brands and models so it will have to be an ordered in rifle more than likely. I was dead set on a Kimber Montana in 7-08 until I read all the accuracy horror stories. I would hate to chance the funds on a rifle that has a history of accuracy issues. If those are a thing of the past then I would lean that route. Really would like to keep the cost around $1k give or take a few hundred and rather have a stainless/synthetic over wood but either is fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you this past weekend. I really wanted a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 but was worried about some of the poor accuracy reports I had read. I talked to a few folks on here that have overcome those issues and I'm not worried about the issues anymore. So I ordered one yesterday. The rifle does feel and handle well! Hope it gets here by Friday.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
If I were going to buy a new factory sporter in the price range you mentioned, I'd be looking very hard at the Winchester M70 EW in .308.

John

I can't come up with an argument against that one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I know the stand setup is relatively thick and the shots are known to be close I carry my brush rifle which is a Rem. 760 in 30-06.

That "brush rifle" is good to your distance of 300 yards +.
But I do understand the "need" for additional guns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
everyone has ideas, there are a lot of fine rifles. i have a savage american classic in 308...kimbers are also great rifles

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.