Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Never owned a tree stand before and need to acquire one to use on our property in Tennessee where shots will be limited to 75 yards or less. The only thing I know is I would like to buy a two person stand simply to have more room. My wife and I will take turns in the stand so it should be easy for her to get up and down as well.

Thoughts?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only a ladder stand will hold two people, or possibly one of those stands that are completely covered. No real need for anything other than a double ladder though - just make sure to get some cushions for the seat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Slidel says, you're looking for a good double ladder stand.

I've had good luck with [color:#3333FF]Big Game[/color][/b] brand tree stands.

I own 4 or their hang-ons and 1 ladder. All have been overbuilt and hold my overweight carcass up in the air nicely.

I'd look at something like their [b]Partner Pro ladder stand where the foot platform attaches to the tree.

They're generally heavy and made of steel, but they feel very sturdy once properly secured.

The first thing I do when I get one of their stands is to cut off their attachment strap/buckle setup and buy a Heavy Duty ratchet strap.

Their setup will hold and is probably easier to put up, but I like the sense of security a big ratchet strap with a safety factor of 4 gives...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, needs to be a ladder stand. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a few River's Edge stands. They're decent enough. One of them I've had in the woods for a few years and it's fine other than tightening some bolts every year. If you can, try to find one with a foot rest that goes all the way to the back of the stand. That way you can keep a pack and thermos there without kicking it over.

I also have a Gander Mt. brand stand that's been in the woods since 2009 and it's doing well.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my first stand 2 weeks ago. I ended up with a River's Edge Standard 2 man ladder stand. The reviews seemed okay on it. I won't know til this season to really give a Yay or Nay? I purchased it through the Sportsmansguide.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Most importantly the wife needs to feel safe and secure so the stand needs to be solid.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't think you'll have a problem with feeling solid. Make sure you get her a harness as well. A "shooting rail" will also help make a person feel a bit safer. Though, I don't really think you can shoot from them unless you're about 9 feet from the deer.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Most importantly the wife needs to feel safe and secure so the stand needs to be solid.

Only you can provide that feeling. The best stand on the market isn't worth a hoot, if you do a half-hearted job of putting it up, and attaching it to the tree. The brands listed above are good stands, but only as good as the installation.

I'd get a couple extra rachet straps and be sure you have it tight on the tree at the seat. Get the "feet" for the bottom of the ladder so it doesn't sink into the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Only you can provide that feeling. The best stand on the market isn't worth a hoot, if you do a half-hearted job of putting it up, and attaching it to the tree. The brands listed above are good stands, but only as good as the installation.

I'd get a couple extra rachet straps and be sure you have it tight on the tree at the seat. Get the "feet" for the bottom of the ladder so it doesn't sink into the ground.

Yep - sage advice here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We have several deer stands and the Big Game is one of the best. It has a shock corded seat.
MUst haves I suggest:
Shooting rail
Foot rest
padded back rest

Nice to haves:
Double side ladder rail to make ridgid
full mesh floor

Keep on section of the ladder out to make it feel more solid. Our older hunters in the crew like it better and the ladder bounces much less.

Avoid the menards brand stands.
Spending $75 more really gets you a better stand.
We add lots of ratchet straps on ours and we do not leave them out and pull them in every year. I don't trust the paint on most of them. Watch for a store that has them on display outside and see how the paint is standing up.

Good luck.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oh... on the installation...

never try putting it up without the "cross your heart and hope not to die" crossing ropes that hold it to the tree while the brave person climbs up to install straps.

Always use the mid-ladder tree support bar. Always. These stands are designed flimsy & lightweight so you can actually tip them up, but they can buckle and bow easy.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Just build a nice stand with a roof, walls, and windows. She will appreciate it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the ladder stands where I hunt here at home. I have 5 . Makes sitting on stand for long periods of time more comfortable. I have bought a couple from Dicks sporting goods and a couple from the sportsman's guide. Never spent more than 120 bucks on any of them and got a 2 fer one time for less than that. They are rock solid once strapped to the tree. There's a lot of stuff out there for a lot of money but IMHO there is no need to spend a lot on one.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My vote goes to Big Game. We've got four of their ladder stands which includes one double with double ladder rails. Solid as can be and still remain portable. You can also get replacement seat, rail, and back pads when necessary. Our oldest is 11 yrs. and still in good shape. They stay out all year, we just bring in the pads. We do check them out good each year before the season opens. We have had to replace some of the ratchets and straps on a few.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too like Big Game's stands. I'd also suggest going with a sling style seat. Much more comfortable IMO...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oh... the cushy sling seats are nice. Get one of the stands set up for 1.5 hunters (wide guys) and it will be comfortable. Cabela's has one on sale for $180 and its tempting me now.

What ever you do... don't get the $60 ladder stands if you plan on sitting there for more than a hour. Too small.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The only thing I know is I would like to buy a two person stand simply to have more room. My wife and I will take turns in the stand so it should be easy for her to get up and down as well.

Thoughts?

My 'FAV' ladder tree stand is a 'Big Dog' brand. It's not a 2 man but has ample room, 27" inside, good foot room and foot rest. Also has shooting rail that can be left UP, which is behind you against the tree, or swivels down in front of you.

It is 17 1/2' to the seat and DOUBLE tubed ladder for strength and rigidity. The ladder is in 3 sections then the platform is wider -27"- inside. It feels very comfortable and mine came with seat cushion and shooting rail camo cover.

I've had/used smaller ladder stands and have looked at 2 man stands which are necessarily heavier and bulkier.

I've had mine several yrs and I don't know if they're still on the market. IF you can find a Big Dog, I highly recommend them based on mine. Mine was $120. but I expect they're higher today, inflation you know.
Good Luck

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An UPDATE -

I just googled 'big dog' tree stands and they ARE still available. Better yet the 171/2' like mine is STILL $120. Now shipping/delivery wasn't mentioned.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll take a look at the Big dog and big game stands.
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 34 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.