Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
good elk backpack for a bowhunter that wont break the bank? Anybody know where i can get a good one pretty reasonable? Thx, RH

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is reasonable to you? What is your bank roll? The classifieds on here usually have some good deals. I would look there.

But before you go breaking your bank I would find out what packs feel good to you and fit you well.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Badlands 2200! Not the best but VERY good as a day pack and will haul plenty of weight. I am a huge fan of Horn Hunter packs as well. US made and well built. Lastly, look around for a used kifaru and as said packs must fit well.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fyi, the sort of pack you need really depends on what you intend to carry, and how you plan to use it. I actually take 3 to camp with me:

1. lightweight "belt" pack- just enough to carry water, a couple snack bars, knife, etc for a 1/2 day hunt. I dont use it that much anymore.

2. medium sized pack- enough to carry water, food, and all gear for a whole days hunt, and enough expansion room to carry enough to do an overnight if so desired. I use this one most of the time.

3. external pack frame- if I was doing a spike camp, this is what I'd use to haul my gear. So far, I never have used it for that purpose. all I use it for is packing elk off the mountain. unfortunately, this one doesnt get used nearly enough....

Last edited by Billy_Goat; 07/16/14.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can find one, a Dwight Shue pack is great. They're no longer made but used ones can be found occasionally. It's basically a child size Coleman Ram-X frame with adult sized straps. It's narrow so it doesn't inhibit shooting a bit yet it will carry as much weight as an adult size. The frame is flexible so it moves with you. It also rides a bit low which helps a lot ducking under low limbs and brush. Since it's plastic, there's no creak (other than your joints).
I have a homemade version that's an excellent archery pack.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

K
K
I spent several years researching the same question. Where I ended up was with a Dana Design Terraplane. They haven't been made in a while, but they do come up for sale occasionally. Like EBAY. I needed a tough, durable pack that I could pack 150lbs. out with some sort of comfort. They do that. No frills, just a great, hard working pack.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm still looking for a pack I can use to pack out 150 lbs. with some comfort.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm still looking for a pack I can use to pack out 150 lbs. with some comfort.

It is called the "Horse" pack. 150-lbs is never comftorble smile

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kinda what I was thinking. A hundred pounds is a toad of a load, in elk country.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP should check out Kifaru's inventory of pack frames. Buy a frame this year, strap a duffel to it and get by. Then buy a bag and add that the following year. Can't go wrong buying better quality upfront, especially on stuff that gets heavy use.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wtf are you packing in Vermont that weighs 150 lbs?

OP, save some dough, good packs are expensive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabelas makes a good frame and pack for around 200 but 150 lbs is pushing it ive packed 75-100 multiple times and its rough Ive also packed a whole quarter on my badlands 2200 pretty easy too probably 75 lbs

Last edited by azelkhuntr; 07/17/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by starsky
Wtf are you packing in Vermont that weighs 150 lbs?

OP, save some dough, good packs are expensive.

I am guessing he needs it for an out of state Elk hunt. Plenty of Moose and or Bear to hunt in and around VT too.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/17/14.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point. Probably an unfair judgement by myself.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
fyi, the sort of pack you need really depends on what you intend to carry, and how you plan to use it. I actually take 3 to camp with me:

1. lightweight "belt" pack- just enough to carry water, a couple snack bars, knife, etc for a 1/2 day hunt. I dont use it that much anymore.

2. medium sized pack- enough to carry water, food, and all gear for a whole days hunt, and enough expansion room to carry enough to do an overnight if so desired. I use this one most of the time.

3. external pack frame- if I was doing a spike camp, this is what I'd use to haul my gear. So far, I never have used it for that purpose. all I use it for is packing elk off the mountain. unfortunately, this one doesnt get used nearly enough....

I fall in this catagory. I use a fanny pack with shoulder straps for the day trips and the "go-light" and "cover some ground" days with little chance of bad weather.

I have a Badlands Super Day for lighter loads and the "need more just in case" trips out of camp, or hunting with a younger member of camp.

I have an Ox frame and pack for "carry one" out trips.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check out the Bull-pacs frame and add a small day pack. The frame is for carrying what you ask. The other one I've heard great things of but have not used myself is from Barney's.

I have yet to see a small daypack that can be converted to carry heavy loads.

β€œYou never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

οΏ½Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.οΏ½ - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used a Cabelas Alaskan frame pack for many years and retired my original one after over 1400 pounds of meat hauled. Are they the best-probably not, but they serve me well and don't break the bank. I only hunt elk with a rifle, but I see no difference. I have two now. One I fill with sand bags to get ready to hunt and the other I use on the hunt.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Day trip.....go to Walmart

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the Eberlestock X2 and Blue Widow for elk hunting but 150 is more than I can carry in steep country for any distance.

I use the x2 as my do everything pack and have several accessories to go with it - my first quarter comes out with the X2 then I switch to the Cabelas external frame Alaskan as a dedicated meat hauler - flashlight rope water and meat or empty game bags and of course a knife and saw or hatchet. I have lugged over a 100lbs a couple of times the longest maybe 2 miles and found it to be very challenging.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I could be wrong, but I really don't know if any manufacturer makes a pack that will comfortably carry a 150 lb. load; especially in mountain terrain. I own a G2 Kifaru Longhunter, a Eberlestock J34 and a couple of other packs. It took me a while to adjust these packs for heavier loads. In fact, I'm just now able to carry 75 lbs. in my J34 with any level of comfort. It may just be my age, but any more than 75 lbs, for even 3 or 4 miles, I'm calling an outfitter to bring in a pack animal or two.

Last edited by Biggs300; 07/21/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.