Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
As a general rule, are cast bullets (rifle) from a nose-pour mould more accurate than those from base-pour moulds?

It seems to me that if nose-poured bullets were significantly more accurate, there would be way more nose-pour moulds offered. I've only seen the ones by Hoch offered for sale.

Thanks!

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nose pour molds are a pain to make in quantity. The whole concept comes from the need for perfect bullet bases for serious accuracy, or perhaps more correctly the perceived need for such. Nose pour bullets also concentrate the tiny air bubbles in the nose of the bullet, where they'll detract from the bullets accuracy the least. That said, very few makers offer nose pour, and it's true value can easily be questioned, but can be difficult to defend.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nose pour also makes for a flat point when the sprue is cut. I have 3 nose pours and they make good killer bullets. Ask my moose,buffalo and two wild pigs. They shoot as well as you require to ventilate a big critter.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I should have been more specific, sorry, I'm wondering whether nose-poured bullets will help you shoot smaller groups (off the bench) than comparable base-poured bullets? That is, are they inherently more precise?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Theoretically yes, if the base is cut square in the mold, and its dimensions produce a bullet precisely fitted to its barrel. Ever since Dr. Mann's experiments over 100 years ago proved it so, it is gospel that the base of a bullet is far more important accuracy-wise than the point. An unskilled caster could induce flaws in the bases of bullets cast in a base-pour mold (poor fill-out, lumpy sprues, rounded corners, etc.) where the base of a nose pour bullet theoretically wouldn't have those defects, or at least the propensity for them. In practice though, there isn't much real world difference that I can see.

If I were to build a killer single shot target rifle to the tune of several thousand dollars, I would probably hedge my bets and have a custom nose pour mold lathe bored. Otherwise, accept the teeny tiny groups shot by the CBA wizards in benchrest competition mainly with base-pour molds as proof that it pays to be anal about a lot of other things rather than which end of the mold lead gets poured into.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were competing in BR I'd at least test a nose pour mold, you never leave anything on the table when it comes to accuracy and test for the best compbination.

But, if you're talking factory rifles and handguns, I'd say in my experience I haven't seen a good base pour mold leaving anything on the table in terms of accuracy. I've shot moa 100 yd groups with rifles and handguns, and those with bullets cast from a quality multi cavity base pour mold. The key is not the mold, the key is the consistency with which you cast your bullets, and inspecting them to cull the defects.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.