24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if they shot well in my rifle, I'd shoot Partitions. the "premium" cost is negligible on an elk hunt.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gary O
Originally Posted by a12
What say you? I can hand load if I can find some components... Thanks.
Gary, if it's for the high fence shoot from the other thread, it should be fine. Probably won't escape the fence, even with a marginal hit.

Do I "need" a controlled expansion bullet here? I am considering a cow hunt.

A 7-08 will work great if you can shoot. A local 13 year old girl killed a very large bull a few years back at 400 with one shot. If a kid can do it, you should be able to do so too.

I've hunted elk with a 139 Hornady Interlock and would again based on their performance on several large hogs. Accubond, TTSX and Partition bullets would work too. The biggest question is how well you shoot.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do I "need" a controlled expansion bullet here? I am considering a cow hunt.

Do you need steel-belted radials when plain polyester cords sufficed for millions of people for many years? Do you need 4x4 capability when 2-wheel drive is good enough the vast majority of the time?

A bullet that fails to expand, as Barnes XLC's appear to have done for me, is one extreme. One unfortunate antelope took two to the chest yet refused to die. The tipped TTSX and older MRX seem to have solved that problem and have provided more straight down DRT results than not for those in my hunting parties.

The other extreme is bullets that sometimes come completely apart and may not penetrate well as a result.

In-between you have controlled expansion bullets. The Partition has been around forever and still works great. A-Frames and Trophy Bonded are a step up IMHO. It took me 20 years to recover a Grand Slam and when I did it had destroyed both shoulders on a 5x5 bull elk. Tipped monos like the Barnes TTSX expand reliably but hold together and penetrate very well - we've yet to recover one.

The cost difference between the various types is pretty low when compared to the total cost of an elk hunt, even for resident hunters like me. Practice with cheap ammo and hunt with the controlled expansion bullets. At worst they will cost you a little extra but they may make the difference between harvesting an elk or losing it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've only shot one with it but if I was going back tomorrow same rifle is going with me loaded with 140 accubonds
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have seen around 20 bulls fall to the 7-08, majority of the shots in the 500-700 yard range with 120 TTSX. Have not seen one shake it yet. My 260 AI and the 7-08 are my go to rifles for elk.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 7MM-08 Rem is very closely related to the 7MM Mauser. And how many elk have been invited to dinner by the 7MM Mauser?

The 7MM-08 Rem is an excellent rifle for everything except maybe the largest bears. But then again, with 175 Partitions, it'll probably get the job done there, too.

I always harken back to my formative years of reading stories about our Northern brethren who were once part of the empire upon which the sun never set. After the Great War, surplus .303 British rifles were as common there as were Springfields south of them. Canadians killed EVERYTHING with the .303 British including polar bears. In full disclosure, polar bears were a lot easier to kill back them because they didn't have access to steroids. The reason I remember stories of the .303 British is because a very close friend of mine somehow got a hold of an old Enfield .303 British. I remember his rhetorical wondering how many Germans that that rifle killed. Anyway, when I shot it I wasn't that impressed. Being just a teenager, I wondered how our Northern Brethren managed to kill anything with it. As I grew somewhat wiser, it dawned on me that it was all about shot placement. Big game don't know difference of cartridges. But they do know when their hearts and lungs quit working.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I always harken back to my formative years of reading stories......

Could've stopped right there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
I always harken back to my formative years of reading stories......

Could've stopped right there.

If I had, you wouldn't have learned.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Could've saved yourself the trouble then. I stopped reading after the phrase I quoted......

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
What say you? I can hand load if I can find some components... Thanks.

Wife shot a decent 5x5 bull at 318 yds with a 7-08ai at just a little over regular 7-08 levels pushing a 140 gr TSX at 2940 fps. Right now her deer load is 120 gr TTSX at about 3200 fps and that will be her elk load next time we get to go.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The 7MM-08 Rem is very closely related to the 7MM Mauser. And how many elk have been invited to dinner by the 7MM Mauser?

The 7MM-08 Rem is an excellent rifle for everything except maybe the largest bears. But then again, with 175 Partitions, it'll probably get the job done there, too.

I always harken back to my formative years of reading stories about our Northern brethren who were once part of the empire upon which the sun never set. After the Great War, surplus .303 British rifles were as common there as were Springfields south of them. Canadians killed EVERYTHING with the .303 British including polar bears. In full disclosure, polar bears were a lot easier to kill back them because they didn't have access to steroids. The reason I remember stories of the .303 British is because a very close friend of mine somehow got a hold of an old Enfield .303 British. I remember his rhetorical wondering how many Germans that that rifle killed. Anyway, when I shot it I wasn't that impressed. Being just a teenager, I wondered how our Northern Brethren managed to kill anything with it. As I grew somewhat wiser, it dawned on me that it was all about shot placement. Big game don't know difference of cartridges. But they do know when their hearts and lungs quit working.

Holy crap! the elk forum has be invaded by Lee24 and goo-fo... which is short for googled information.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, don't you read stories and google stuff as the foundation of your knowledge? And then pontificate via regurgitation of the same?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I humbly apologize to the two elk killed with my 708 by my dad and brother last season... I obviously wasn't fully vetted in the history and implications of their eminent demise.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
150 gr Nosler Partition is your friend wink

That's what I use in my 7x57, which is probably as close to a 7-08 velocity as any other similar cartridge.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/11/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by msuhunter
I've only shot one with it but if I was going back tomorrow same rifle is going with me loaded with 140 accubonds
[Linked Image]

Guessing Unit 32 or 34 New Mexico...

Elk in the creosote - Love it...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody knows you need a super nitro express belted magnum to kill an elk.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 22 LR is enough. We beat this stuff to death.

A fully packed Prius is enough to get you across the the US but why use it if you have an suv that makes yer journey more comfortable.?

220 Swift still king.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True on the SUV vs Prius, but I think where people get hung up is when someone says you have to use an SUV because a Prius is not up to the task.

If you want to drive a Prius cross-country, and it works, then no, you don't need an SUV for the trip.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

7-08 enough for elk?

Yes.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not sure about the 7-08 but its little brother is pretty impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Honorary Gouger per Travis
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.