24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a few bummer 1911's out of about fifteen or so I've owned over the years. One was a stainless AMT Hardballer. It seemed fancy compared to the old Series 70 Gov't Colt that I had at the time. The Colt had lousy sights, but it always fed the the 230 gr. ball ammo I could afford. The Hardballer was supposed to make me a hip combat shooter at my local club. Problem was the damned thing jammed so often I seldom completed a match. The older members tried to help me with it but nobody could make it run reliably.

I had a stainless Series 80 Gov't that was temperamental. It would throw a wreck just often enough I never trusted it. A Colt Gold Cup broke roll pins in the rear sight. It's front sight took off to parts unknown during a match. I finished the match, score took a decided down turn with no front sight! smile

The last one was a Kimber Tactical 4" gun that was fouled up right out of the box. It shot about 18" low at 25 yards. Turned out it had the wrong size front sight on it. Kimber took care of that. Then the MIM magazine catch broke. That was just under 800 rounds through the gun and the mag catch just crumbled into my right palm during a shot string and dropped the partially loaded mag out of the gun. I put an Ed Brown steel part in for a replacement. The right side safety lever got excessively loose early on and required a new safety be fitted. Then it started having extraction problems and it had Kimber's bad attempt at external extractors. I didn't care for it any more and swapped it off.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Bigfish, was it a Caracal?

Sounds close. Stainless with wood grips but they offered a GI model. Think the GI was model 100 and the stainless which I had was a 200 series.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My RIA GI had an occasional misfeed when it was new. Tuning the extractor improved it a bunch, but still wasn't perfect. Turns out that gun didn't like the Novak (ACT) mags that it came with all that well. Switched to using only Colt-spec mags in that gun, and no further problems.

There was a day not too long ago that I would have said a 1911 wasn't worth that kind of bother. What a dummy. Really was no big deal....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am fairly new to the 1911 camp, but devoted. Haven't sprung for a "good' one like I want yet, so the 3 I own are all "entry level" pistols. My stainless Taurus PT 1911 has been very good so far. It does require proper length in ammo, but doesn't care about bullet type, and seems to be happy with about any magazine I've tried. Shot my Springfield Mil Spec very little before putting the .460 Rowland barrel in it - which is a good way to tell how much a 1911 will take. Have had zero problems with it, do wish it had a better trigger (ditto the Taurus). My latest is a Para Expert Carry, a "compact" with a 4" barrel. By far the best trigger of the three. It did not like the Para magazines it came with, but when I started using my Wilson mags the problems went away. Since then I have tried the Springfield and Taurus mags in it with good results, and it even seems to have decided to run properly with the Para mags now, also. Although I have Ruger, Charter Arms, and Colt revolvers plus Contender single shots in various calibers, I can't see me buying any other type habdgun in the future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Bigfish, was it a Caracal?

Sounds close. Stainless with wood grips but they offered a GI model. Think the GI was model 100 and the stainless which I had was a 200 series.

Probably a Citadel

I have had a few 1911s.....an original M1911 from 1918, only fed it hardball ammo but never had a hiccup with the exception of a surplus mag that wouldn't feed right

A taurus PT1911 that functioned flawlessly and a RIA that is smooth as butter and functions flawlessly as well smile

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had utter reliability with all the 1911s I have owned, all Colts ranging from WWII A1's through Series 70 and 80. The only breakage I incurred was in a Series 70. After over 10,000 rounds through it the disconnector broke on the 2nd shot of a full magazine, the remaining rounds cycled through on full auto in the blink of an eye. Pretty exciting for a second. I sent it back to Colt pronto, and had it back in two weeks with a new barrel bushing, barrel, hammer, and a set of rubber Pachmeyr factory grips to boot. That was the one and only time I ever sent a gun back to the factory. With all the freebies they tossed my way, I was hoping another one would break...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Only problem I've ever had with 1911's has been obviously caused by faulty ammo. (Mostly cast bullet loads when I was first learning bullet casting and reloading for auto-pistols at the same time.) Currently have a Sig, a Colt and a S&W 945 (strictly speaking not a 1911.) If I get another one it will be a Les Baer and I will be through buying pistols. Probably.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How many rounds do these reliable 1911's go between cleaning and oiling?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cleaning I have gone a few hundred. How many does it need to go before cleaning? Is there a magic number? I know it will go more rounds then I am ever going to carry on my person.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I carry the same amount of magazines with my 1911 as I do my M&P's. But the M&P's do hold more.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine was a Series 70 Commander back in the 70s. Wouldn't feed for crap. Until I learned how to shoot it - I was just a kid. Since then, they've all been perfect.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR

Ross Seyfried once wrote that he never competed with a clean 1911. That he never went to a match with less than 200 rounds fired after cleaning. A 1911 should always go bang, if not get the problem corrected.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Done pretty well with all the 5" guns. All good with the 4 1/4" also. When you get shorter than that, things start to get sketchy. With quality guns, magazines, quality/type of ammo and limp wristing causes the majority of the problems.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I had one, had race gun parts in it and I didnt know it, replaced them with Ed Brown internals and sold it.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR

On my Colt and Wilson 300 to 500 rounds of hard ball for cleaning. About every 50 rounds for oiling.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by TWR

On my Colt and Wilson 300 to 500 rounds of hard ball for cleaning. About every 50 rounds for oiling.

That helps put things in prospective, thanks.

That also explains why guys with Glocks or M&P's like myself think the 1911's are not as reliable. I ran 300+ rounds through my new Shield in one afternoon, my full size M&P has seen more than that without a bobble or sending off to a smith or filing, sanding, adding, changing anything.

But for some unexplained reason, I keep looking for the perfect 1911.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

What exactly does that tell you? If you had one pistol that would shoot 500 rounds and then start jamming, and another pistol that shot 5,000 round before it started jamming...but you shoot the 500 round pistol much better; which pistol would you choose?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by TWR

That helps put things in prospective, thanks.

That also explains why guys with Glocks or M&P's like myself think the 1911's are not as reliable. I ran 300+ rounds through my new Shield in one afternoon, my full size M&P has seen more than that without a bobble or sending off to a smith or filing, sanding, adding, changing anything.

But for some unexplained reason, I keep looking for the perfect 1911.

Todd Jarrett shot 1000 rounds through a stock 1911 as fast as he could shoot and change magazines without a failure and of course no cleaning.

Is that good enough?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Future son in law has a Springfield the fails to feed about every other mag with every kind of bullet we have tried including hardball.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by TWR

What exactly does that tell you? If you had one pistol that would shoot 500 rounds and then start jamming, and another pistol that shot 5,000 round before it started jamming...but you shoot the 500 round pistol much better; which pistol would you choose?

Give me reliability over reducing my groups by less than half, it's not like I can't keep my M&P on target. In fact you yourself opined that Americans worried too much about accuracy in reference to the AK vs the AR. So why the difference?

I'd love to get a 1911 to run 500 rounds without a hiccup but the fact remains that I've yet to make it through 100 rounds without some kind of failure. Again my main 1911's were the STI Ranger and my Colt Combat Commander. I've shot a few race guns that ran fine but why can't these stock pistols be in working order out of the box?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.