Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9027515 07/16/14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I posted this in the Campfire section but thought i'd try posting it here too.

How valuable of a tool are these 2 books when it comes to purchasing a vehicle? Are they accurate enough to use when making an offer?

I'm looking at a pickup that is considerably over priced (by at least $5500) compared to the book values i've come up with using the info on the truck from their website.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used values are really tough to peg, especially in AK where prices seem to run much higher than blue book. If you're looking at a used vehicle from a dealership, expect it to be much higher than blue book, private sale a bit higher.

And then there are some people that haven't a clue and ask way more than their vehicle is worth.

If you're looking at a $40k blue book and they are asking $5500 more and have a bunch of upgrades, might not be unreasonable. If KBB is $4500 and they are asking $10k, I wouldn't even bother calling them.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The truck I was looking at is in Seatlle and it a 1997 Ford F250 CC SB with the 7.3 Powerstroke and has 103k miles on it. They are asking $18,950, which is approximately $7k over KBB. A bit high IMO.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It boggles my mind the resale on diesel trucks. I got my 2006 ram cummins new for $32k, and eight years later the blue book is right around $20k.

The reason I bought the truck new is there was no way I was going to pay $20k for a used truck with 100k on the odo. $12k, maybe $15k, but no way I'd pay anywhere near $20k.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you get a chance, check out the Northwest Motorsports website, they have a lot of nice trucks but are mostly way overpriced.

I'm a patient guy and can wait for the right truck to come along up here.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully this will be the last truck I ever have to buy.

It definately pays to be patient, have cash in hand and know what you want so when the right deal comes along you can jump on it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Hopefully this will be the last truck I ever have to buy.

It definately pays to be patient, have cash in hand and know what you want so when the right deal comes along you can jump on it.

Exactly my plan.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I look at KBB as another data point. Useful in that it provides a number to argue around, but not much more than that.

KBB considers condition, mileage, options, etc. "Condition" is a pretty relative thing, but it helps.

There are a lot of L48 dealerships that advertise in AK craigslist. I can only assume that they do it for entertainment purposes. I find stuff like this pretty entertaining.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It is interesting that before the "average Joe" had access to these sources, they were the "gospel", now the car salesman tell you "oh, that trade in value or whatever doesn't really matter"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Ford F250 CC SB with the 7.3 Powerstroke and has 103k miles on it.

Some trucks command a premium, this is one of them.
Low mileage p/s is very much in demand.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Not sure what the metal looks like on trucks in Alaska after 27 years but I know here they can look new with paint but brake lines and fuel lines, a little fur on the frame and some dry as a fart suspension components add up pretty quick. ESPECIALLY if it was only driven 4K a year.....

Would rather take a 2007 and pay another 10.... JMO

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckster
It is interesting that before the "average Joe" had access to these sources, they were the "gospel", now the car salesman tell you "oh, that trade in value or whatever doesn't really matter"

Yup.

Around these parts, here is how to use those books:

Go to the dealer that has the used vehicle you want. Look up "high book" or "retail" on it. Now look up "low book" or "wholesale" on your trade. Subtract.

That's why there's Craigslist........ to get somewhere in the same universe of what your trade is actually worth in the current marketplace.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As in all retail businesses, a dealer has to buy low, sell high to stay in business. He can't give you top price for your trade-in because he can't mark it up enough to make a buck. You'll almost always get more selling it yourself. I have an advantage in that I live on a busy highway. I have many times put something out front with a sign and sold it. In fact, I have never failed to sell something that way. A number of times, we've had some junk to haul to the dump. I'll set it out there with a FREE sign and it's gone by morning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As in all retail businesses, a dealer has to buy low, sell high to stay in business. He can't give you top price for your trade-in because he can't mark it up enough to make a buck.

Yeah. I got that and I'm all for it. It's the American way.

But I'm old enough to remember when a dealer worked off the same line in the book for his vehicle as he did for your trade......... given the conditions of both vehicles are similar. If you want "high trade-in" for your trade that's fine. But expect to have that considered against "high retail" on the dealer's vehicle. Likewise if you insist upon low-balling the dealer's asking price into wholesale range, you could expect to receive wholesale for yours on trade.

Few weeks ago I stopped by a reputable & respected local used car dealership. Was looking to trade an '05 Expedition with good miles in very good condition on an '04 Tahoe with lower than average miles and in similar condition to my Ford. Their asking price was very nearly high retail. what I was offered on trade was rough trade-in or a bit below. That has just become general practice around here anymore.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
KBB always seems high to me and I prefer NADA but I am not sure if there is a big difference. It comes down to the simple fact that it is worth whatever somebody will pay for it on that particular day. Good luck.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My local dealers refuse to acknowledge KBB or NADA as baselines for trading or buying, and refer to a "blackbook" that they use for pricing.

As a result, I have not bought anything from them.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The black book that dealers use seems to somehow value your trade as being worth squat and their vehicle as having gold plating on it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I decided to pass on the truck, as much as I like the truck, it's just too much money IMO. This is the truck in question.

[Linked Image]

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
490 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.