Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Was looking at my aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 17 and wanted to see if it would fit into my Model 19, nope longer in dimensions between the breach and lug area than the Model 19 barrel. Looks heavier duty too.

Have read of the Model 17's lasting along time in mileage, wondering if the smaller framed versions will hold up as well?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will take the 19 over the 17 any day

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bea175

�..why? Just for ease of carry or do you shoot it better? Not judging, just curious.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by HE112
Was looking at my aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 17 and wanted to see if it would fit into my Model 19, nope longer in dimensions between the breach and lug area than the Model 19 barrel. Looks heavier duty too.

Have read of the Model 17's lasting along time in mileage, wondering if the smaller framed versions will hold up as well?

�..I heard Hackathorn opine that the Glock 17 was the original-design-format and that all other models deviated from it and in the long run it's probably the ONE to have if you're going to just have ONE (however; he was carrying a G19 the last time I was on a range with him). The same argument is made with 1911's---JMB designed it to be a 5" bushing-barrelled gun and that all others are deviations from the original design. That doesn't keep me from carrying a Commander however. I know that I shoot a G-17 better than a G-19 and my wife is just the opposite; however, those are our guns---might not be true with stock or unfamiliar guns. One rarely hears of problems or kabooms with 17's versus other models------Ken also said that if he had to grab only one handgun with which to head for the hills, it would be a G-17----I think Vickers said the same thing. That doesn't make it right, just their opinion.

Last edited by gmoats; 07/17/14.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Will they hold up as well? Probably not. But good luck wearing one out. The G19 is a well proven piece of equipment.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If I only could own 1 hand gun I would choose the G 19 as it is a bit more comfortable to conceal. I shoot both the 17 and 19 several time/week and both are easy to shoot well and I have no problems transitioning from one to the other. Both have identical frame treatments, triggers and sights. I typically carry the 19 AIWB and the 17 in a Safariland ALS. My time to 1st shot is about .2 sec quicker from AIWB but I can live w/ either if I practice regularly. I shoot 200 rounds/week through each and have never had a malfunction. I also dryfire about 10 minutes/day from concealment as I consider this my highest shooting priority.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmoats

�..I heard Hackathorn opine that the Glock 17 was the original-design-format and that all other models deviated from it and in the long run it's probably the ONE to have if you're going to just have ONE (however; he was carrying a G19 the last time I was on a range with him). The same argument is made with 1911's---JMB designed it to be a 5" bushing-barrelled gun and that all others are deviations from the original design. That doesn't keep me from carrying a Commander however. I know that I shoot a G-17 better than a G-19 and my wife is just the opposite; however, those are our guns---might not be true with stock or unfamiliar guns. One rarely hears of problems or kabooms with 17's versus other models------Ken also said that if he had to grab only one handgun with which to head for the hills, it would be a G-17----I think Vickers said the same thing. That doesn't make it right, just their opinion.
I'd say that's a pretty good assessment. When Glock started making guns in cartridges other than 9mm, things went horribly wrong. Non 9mm Glocks were some of the LEAST reliable pistols out there in the late '80's to early '90's. I generally don't talk about this much, because I don't want people to think I'm a Glock hater (I'm really not). But Glock has had OODLES of troubles over the years with all their guns; even the 19/17's (although the 19/17's issues were very minor).

I take points away from Glock because they really should have recalled a whole lot of guns, and they never did. They kept spinning things to buy time and not have to make refunds. I guess that's what you have to do when you have a big company, but there were a lot of people who were depending their lives on Glock's products, and it's lucky that Glock's policies never cost a life (that I'm aware of).

Where I give Glock points, is their willingness to never stop developing their product. The G17/19 is one of the most proven pistols out there (not THE, just one of), and they're just brute tough! If I were going to grab one gun and head for the hills and a G17/19 were available, I'd take that over my 1911 in a heartbeat.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If I only could own 1 hand gun I would choose the G 19 as it is a bit more comfortable to conceal. I shoot both the 17 and 19 several time/week and both are easy to shoot well and I have no problems transitioning from one to the other. Both have identical frame treatments, triggers and sights. I typically carry the 19 AIWB and the 17 in a Safariland ALS. My time to 1st shot is about .2 sec quicker from AIWB but I can live w/ either if I practice regularly. I shoot 200 rounds/week through each and have never had a malfunction. I also dryfire about 10 minutes/day from concealment as I consider this my highest shooting priority.

mike r

�.wow Mike, that's quite a shooting regimen�.doing that consistently takes more discipline (and ammo) than most can or will devote.

You mentioned frame treatment, triggers and sights��what do you use? Unfortunately I've wound up with a grab bag of different stuff on different guns--have you altered the triggers? If so, what did you use?
Thanks,
Greg

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
...If I were going to grab one gun and head for the hills and a G17/19 were available, I'd take that over my 1911 in a heartbeat.

Woooo��. the room is spinning...reality as we know it has shifted�.hell may have frozen over��. laugh laugh

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
gmoats, I work on a gunrange so time and ammo do not factor in. I love to train and instruct so I have kind of a dreamjob. My Glocks have the frames stippled to enhance the grip with some hand sanding around the trigger guard and below the tang to accomadate my girly little hands. They all have Meprolight tritium sights for uniformity from gun to gun. All have stock 5.5 lb triggers and all internals are OEM because I value reliability over all other factors in a defensive/fighting gun.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
gmoats, I work on a gunrange so time and ammo do not factor in. I love to train and instruct so I have kind of a dreamjob. My Glocks have the frames stippled to enhance the grip with some hand sanding around the trigger guard and below the tang to accomadate my girly little hands. They all have Meprolight tritium sights for uniformity from gun to gun. All have stock 5.5 lb triggers and all internals are OEM because I value reliability over all other factors in a defensive/fighting gun.

mike r

�..thanks Mike�..I've been to a couple of indoor ranges in LV�.perhaps we've met.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...If I were going to grab one gun and head for the hills and a G17/19 were available, I'd take that over my 1911 in a heartbeat.

Woooo��. the room is spinning...reality as we know it has shifted�.hell may have frozen over��. laugh laugh

I'm not a Glock hater, nor do I think the 1911 is the end all. I think my LW Commander is the right daily carry gun FOR ME. I don't think it's the best gun for the zombie apocalypse, or necessarily "heading to the hills", although it wouldn't be a bad gun, provided I took an extra 9mm top half just for greater ammo choices when ammo runs low.

My reality is painted by the FACT that I'm much more likely to be hit by lightning TWICE in the same day, as to need to just "head for the hills" spontaneously while I'm at 7/11 with no warning or time for any preparation whatsoever.

I have the highest respect for Glocks. They are such a great choice for a military...but I'm not a military nor will I be in a military situation. I carried a Glock when I did executive protection in Mexico because that's what was handed to me, and I was quite happy with it.

What I don't get is the slathering Glock-a-holics who think it's the end all, and must be the end all for everyone.

To be dragging the same pistol through extreme conditions, for years at a time, the Glock would be very hard to beat. But on a daily basis, I don't need that, nor do I envision that I ever will.

As great as a Glock is, it's just not the gun for me. If I want the ultimate in reliability, I'll go with a Browning Hi Power since it fits my hand better, carries easier for me, and I shoot it much better than a Glock. I have yet to see any pistol that is more reliable than a Hi Power; and that includes Glocks.

Here's what I NEED. I NEED a pistol I shoot well; very well. I shoot a Glock well, but I shoot the 1911 much better.

I need a pistol that is 100% reliable with my carry ammunition. I have that. In the 11 years I've carried my LW Commander, it has yet to malfunction on me even once. I shoot about 1k rounds per year through that pistol.

I need a pistol that is flat, light weight, and easy to carry. The LW Commander is as light as a Glock, flatter/thinner, and every bit as easy to conceal with an IWB holster as a Glock 19 (ON ME).

So if I have a choice between two pistols, all else being equal; why would I choose the one that I shoot worse over the one I shoot better?

If the answer to that is "because someone tested it, and it's able to digest more thousands of rounds before it malfunctioned"; my answer would be...I carry two mags; what does that extra supposed reliability get me when the pistol is empty? And if anyone has studied gun fights, especially civilian gun fights, you know that magazine capacity is never the deciding factor; it just isn't. Hits count, that's it. High magazine capacity??? You can never miss fast enough to catch up.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...I'm much more likely to be hit by lightning TWICE in the same day, as to need to just "head for the hills" spontaneously while I'm at 7/11 with no warning or time for any preparation whatsoever.

�.you mean this wasn't you, Kevin??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjI8AxZnrx8

What I don't get is the slathering Glock-a-holics who think it's the end all, and must be the end all for everyone.
�..there's nothing wrong with a Glock that wouldn't be improved if each came from the factory with a muzzle or at least a gag-order for their owners.

To be dragging the same pistol through extreme conditions, for years at a time, the Glock would be very hard to beat. But on a daily basis, I don't need that, nor do I envision that I ever will.

I need a pistol that is flat, light weight, and easy to carry. The LW Commander is as light as a Glock, flatter/thinner, and every bit as easy to conceal with an IWB holster as a Glock 19 (ON ME).

�..like you, I carry a LW Commander (Wiley Clapp gun in my case); however, one thing that the Glock has over 1911 is that the Glock comes straight out of the box with no pride of ownership. I never worry about scraping, scratching, dropping or losing the Glock----with the 1911 I do. It's the Bic-lighter analogy. I've been in a couple of situations that I wished I wasn't carrying as nice a handgun as I had on at the time. Obviously, when the SHTF, that feeling will evaporate quickly.
...if anyone has studied gun fights, especially civilian gun fights, you know that magazine capacity is never the deciding factor; it just isn't. Hits count, that's it. High magazine capacity??? You can never miss fast enough to catch up.

�..I would love to see someone do a probability study on the quantity of ammo used in a civilian encounter. I bought a book titled "Probability for Morons" and discovered that the probability was that a moron won't finish reading the book (I didn't)�..however I also bought a book titled "The Drunkard's Walk, How Randomness Rules our Lives" which I did read and left me with the distinct impression that random events are immune from standard probability equations---someone smarter than me will have to figure it out. It does beg the question tho, "how much ammo is enough?"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Speaking of randomness, since a lot of malfunctions in semi-auto pistols are caused by mags perhaps carrying a spare would be a good thing.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems like when a lad decides to buy a handgun, many times it is in a 9mm and also many times it's a G19. Great choice and a great value....not the greatest gun but a great gun.

After he decides that he likes this shooting thing and decides to get more into it he postulates that he needs more shooters. It's then that the purchases become much more specialized for given situations for him than before. He may decide that he needs a .22lr auto pistol or a 44Mag. He becomes interested in finding those pistols/rifles that meet specific needs.

On the other hand if you have someone who has been through that learning curve of finding out whether this shooting business is for him; he will have a tendency to buy those specialized handguns from the get go and acquire many of them.

To me the G19 is a great entry gun. The G17 and the G26 talk to me as meeting more unique needs. I see it as like someone who decides that he wants to start hunting/shooting centerfire rifles and is told that a .243 is a great "starter" caliber. "you can shoot coyotes and deer and antelope with it" is the call to purchase. Another lad will decide that he needs a dedicated varmint rig and will buy a .204 or a 22-250 and then maybe a .300Win Mag to the deer/elk end of it.

I love my G17 gen4 and shoot it very well along with my G27 for CC. I don't know if one of those frames is stronger than the other....different needs = different pistols.

And I also have an old G19 and a .243 that now Mrs. Redhill shoots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't consider myself a Glock fanatic, but I do own several of them. And like Kevin, my prefered personal every day carry pistol is a 1911 LW Commander in 45acp.
I do find in teaching TX CHL Shooters, that new shooters with no experience seem to be able to shoot a Glock better, and more accurately with a shorter learning curve on trigger control. All though turning a new shooter loose with a handgun without a manual safety causes me a lot of concern.

The one statement that I do disagree with is that a Glock 17 is "stronger" than a Glock 19, or other Calibers adopted to Glock's 9mm original platform. If that statement was true, I seriously doubt that Glock would ever release a .357 sig, 40s&w, or the .45 Gap on the same frame.

Personally, I have put many thousands of rounds down range through my Glock 32, which is the same as a Glock 19, except in the .357 Sig caliber. Plus several thousand rounds down range through my Glock 20 in 10mm with +P handloads. And at least 1000 rounds or more through a Glock in .45 GAP.

And I bought both my Glock 32 in .357 Sig and my Glock 20 in 10mm when they were first released, and "early" versions. And ive Never had a failure or so called "kaboom" with ANY of my Glocks. Period.

Like I said at the top of my post, my daily carry gun is a LW 1911 Commander in .45acp. It's a Kimber Custom Shop Super Carry Pro. Its Super reliable & very accurate.
But if I was forced to sell all my handguns and could only keep one for personal defense, hunting, ect, it would be my Glock 32 in .357 sig.
Why??? Because it's indestructible and IMO, a more powerfull and versatile cartridge.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of randomness, since a lot of malfunctions in semi-auto pistols are caused by mags perhaps carrying a spare would be a good thing.

mike r
OMG the man just said something that makes sense.

Mike as long as you're being an arse, I'll call you an arse. But every damn time you say something that makes sense, I'll give you credit.

Here's what I learned from John Farnam & Mas Ayoob...

When there is an encounter that involves shooting, you do your shooting and the first chance you get, you head for cover. Once you reach for cover, you reload, and here's why.

1 - No one has ever counted rounds in a gunfight
2 - You may not get another chance
3 - Do you want to face the next engagement with an unknown number of rounds in your gun?
4 - You don't discard the magazine, put it in your pocket in case things get really desperate.

You also rake the slide when you reload, and here's why:
1 - By doing so you ensure that your pistol is fully loaded, and functional. What if your pistol malfunctioned on the last round of the first engagement? In a gun fight you'll be focused on the threat, you won't be focused on your gun. If your training has you reloading in such a manner, than ensuring proper function of your pistol during a gunfight becomes automatic.

Plinking and competitive shooting involves some different practices than training for combat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
...Glock 32... it's indestructible...

A Glock is a very tough pistol, and they will go more rounds than most before things start coming apart. But the Glock and other synthetic frame pistols do have a weakness that is very specific to synthetic frames. They are vulnerable to impact damage to the frames. Honestly this is a very small deal as it's rare a pistol is taken out of action from impact damage, but it does happen on battlefields. Guys running with a pistol in their hands, they take a face plant, and the pistol goes down hard on a rock. I've seen broken dust covers and even grips that were broken half way down (just past the trigger guard).

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...Glock and other synthetic frame pistols do have a weakness that is very specific to synthetic frames. They are vulnerable to impact damage to the frames. Honestly this is a very small deal as it's rare a pistol is taken out of action from impact damage, but it does happen on battlefields...

I have a very close friend that is a part time instructor for Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch and also a Krav Maga instructor (DocRocket knows him). He has "torn" the slide off of numerous Glocks doing "improvised baton" training (it's his "why you never use a Glock as a club" demonstration).

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I probably shouldn't get in this dogfight, but then i am not sensible. I like to say glocks are a pistol that have no soul, and are kind of uncouth, but they usually work. Having taken the top off one with a squibb load one time, they will take a lot. Courtesy of a poster on here, i got a new slide/barrel, and the pistol is still working like a top.
They are just a tool for the masses, really. Now my heart really belongs to a 1911, if for no other reason than the trigger, or even better the model of 1935, Which is what john moses intended, after he had time to think about it.
The first time i shot a hi power probably 40years ago, i was amazed at how controllable it was, and how i could hit with it.
I can't see wacking anybody with a glock or synthetic, but i sure can with some of those ol steel guns.
But with advancing age, gasp, i still probably shoot revolvers more than anything, and that truely dates me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...Glock and other synthetic frame pistols do have a weakness that is very specific to synthetic frames. They are vulnerable to impact damage to the frames. Honestly this is a very small deal as it's rare a pistol is taken out of action from impact damage, but it does happen on battlefields...

I have a very close friend that is a part time instructor for Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch and also a Krav Maga instructor (DocRocket knows him). He has "torn" the slide off of numerous Glocks doing "improvised baton" training (it's his "why you never use a Glock as a club" demonstration).

Yep, just one of the "weaknesses" of a Glock. EVERY pistol has an Achellies heel; every last one. Best idea is to find one, find out what it is, then determine if it's an Achilles heel you can live with, or mitigate somehow.

Sig's...They have no backstrap on the frame, so break the grips and the pistol is all but useless (grips are pretty tough). How to mitigate? Hogue's are all but indestructible, but they also make the grip significantly fatter.

Beretta's - If you don't treat the locking block as a wear part and change every 5k rounds, it WILL break and completely lockup your pistol. Slide mounted safety takes a good deal of extra training to live with; better do it.

Look closely and you'll find a weak spot on EVERY pistol.

Last edited by GunGeek; 07/18/14.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I haven't given it much thought as to the impact weapon use of my Glocks, but I do have a D cell maglight next to my nightstand gun. ASP training back in the day said, never use your flashlight or pistol as an impact weapon. I can buy another Maglight for $35 and the pistols start as over $500 and the light doesn't launch bullets. I am now paranoid about falling on rocks while running.
Thanks for the heads up about Achilles heels. I wish a Glock 20 had a 1911 style grip, or a CZ75 in 40 S&W wasn't so blocky. A crisp S&W single action trigger on every revolver would be nice too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not gonna hit somebody with a gun unless I want to kill them, in which case shooting them makes more sense. And if it's empty and I'm beating somebody with it, let it break.

I've seen training like that and have been subjected to it too. It makes me cringe.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's unlikely to have to use a Glock as a club. They tend to work well as a firearm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bea175

�..why? Just for ease of carry or do you shoot it better? Not judging, just curious.

Ease of carrying, i can't tell any difference in shooting them

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend who instinctively thumped a suspect in the head with his drawn Glock after the suspect jumped out of the bushes and rushed my friend at close quarters. The slide jumped the rails and made the gun totally inoperable, as in not even a single shot. That was 10-12 years ago, though, and I have no recent reports of such a thing happening with newer model guns.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In answer to your question, neither. Get a 1911. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Carson
I haven't given it much thought as to the impact weapon use of my Glocks, but I do have a D cell maglight next to my nightstand gun. ASP training back in the day said, never use your flashlight or pistol as an impact weapon. I can buy another Maglight for $35 and the pistols start as over $500 and the light doesn't launch bullets. I am now paranoid about falling on rocks while running.
Thanks for the heads up about Achilles heels. I wish a Glock 20 had a 1911 style grip, or a CZ75 in 40 S&W wasn't so blocky. A crisp S&W single action trigger on every revolver would be nice too.

I don't advocate using a pistol as an impact weapon, unless it's empty and you're in a struggle for your life. But you have to consider, one good face plant on a hard surface can do exactly the same damage to the gun as using it as a club.

And might I offer a correction in your description of your Mag-Lite...It's an attitude adjustment tool, with built in flashlight wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I have a friend who instinctively thumped a suspect in the head with his drawn Glock after the suspect jumped out of the bushes and rushed my friend at close quarters. The slide jumped the rails and made the gun totally inoperable, as in not even a single shot. That was 10-12 years ago, though, and I have no recent reports of such a thing happening with newer model guns.
IIRC the 2nd Gen Glock's failed the Secret Service's "Frisbee" test, where they threw it like a Frisbee onto a concrete surface; the slide popped off nearly every time. That was embarrassing to Glock, so when they made the Gen-3, they fixed that problem.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would think the more compact nature of the G19 would make it stronger. All things being equal, the cantilever effect of more mass would make the G17 weaker. Not an exact engineering description but most will get the point...

The G17 is not a large frame Glock either...

Last edited by supercrewd; 07/27/14.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done an overload work up in a Glock 19, and like other 9mm pistols I have tested, it is stronger than the brass.

The stock G19 barrel has feed ramp intrusion to .19".
Most 9mm brass have a .16" web, leaving .03" of thin unsupported case wall over the feed ramp. That causes a bulge with typically 60% more powder than published maximum loads.

Typical 9mm.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the mid '80s,Glock people traveled around giving demonstrations at large companies that had armed security.The new Glock 17 was dunked in a mixture of mud and crud and then fired.The pistol was frozen with co2,and then fired.The gun was dropped from a chopper to land on the hard pavement to be kicked back and forth,and then fired.Last but not least,the Glock was was rolled over and parked upon by a pickup truck,and then fired,RAPIDLY.Apparently,a lot of folks were impressed with the demos,because Glock is still around and a very large company.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The barrel lugs are different, but the G19 and G17 have essentially the same frame, not counting length of course. G17 magazines can be used in a G19.

You have to move up to the G20/29 or G21/G30 to get the 'large' frame.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been shooting Glocks (and other pistols, too...) off & on for nearly 20 years now. I have owned and sold off a dozen or more over the years, but somehow I always keep coming back to the G17 and the G19 (although G30SF is a tidy little package in its own right!). I don't know if the G17 is really stronger than the G19, but it's certainly not weaker. As others have pointed out, the G17 was Gaston's first and basic design, and it's stood the test of time.

I took an "advanced" pistol class at Chapman Academy about 10 years ago in which we went through a phenomenal quantity of ammunition. The pistol I took was a G17 with NY-1 trigger and a 3.5 pound trigger connect that was fairly new to me. I put nearly 4500 rounds through that pistol in 5 days and it never hiccuped... and to the best of my recollection it was the only handgun in that class that made it all the way through the full course of fire.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Which range do you work at I get out to LV a few times a year, would love to stop by and say hello.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Since the 80's people have done some real dumb things trying to break a Glock. Suppose if your determined enough you can do it. As much as I love the slimness, trigger and the feel of a quality 1911 or Hi Power, I carry a G17, with +P+ loads. I have found that evil normally brings an accomplice and more bullets available is never a bad thing.

I believe the polymer striker fired handgun is here to stay. With Wilson Combat 1911's running around 4 grand with a 9 round capability, and the new H&K VP9 at 600 dollars with 16 rounds in the gun, many are looking hard at the H&K/Glock/M&P platforms. Knowing there are no safety's to manually engage and disengage, or having to struggle with a DA/SA, and decock and holster under stress, just engage the threat and shoot. Yes, the triggers are at best OK, but I feel these polymer striker fired semi autos are the new revolver in both simplicity of use and durability.

While the G19 is the most popular 9mm sold today, I would carry which ever feels and shoots best to you. If there is a durability edge, however slight I'd have to guess it would go to the G17 as its the platform that's been tested the most. I would also purchase the 3Gen series, as the 4th Gen has had some teething problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.