-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for input for my upcoming bowhunt. I'm comfortable with diaphragm calls. What should I buy and what should I avoid?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This cow call has worked well for me.

Carlton Cow Call

I don't even have a bugle.

Last edited by prm; 07/17/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The Skeery has always worked for me, but also, the Lil Chucklr from Elknut Productions work great as a bugle and cow call as you can take the mouth piece out to use as a cow cal.

The old original Cow Talk plastic ones works well also.

I can't use a diaphragm call. It doesn't hurt to have 2-3 reed calls hanging around your neck

Lot of guys swear by the Hoochie Mama, but you don't get much variation with them and they suck when they get cold.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A hoochie mama and a diaphragm call in combination are good for sounding like more than one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a ton of them including mouth reeds and the famous hoochie momma, my favorite because of all the different sounds you can get out of it is Cow Talk by E.L.K inc.

The easiest-hoochie momma.

The hardest- mouth reeds.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Worst: Hoochie Mama, might as well bring a bike horn.

Best: Combo of the Bugling Bull ELK All-Star Diaphragm Call and a Bitterroot Custom Call. For a couple of bucks more than the hoochie you can get a hand crafted call that sounds like an elk.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks fellas, I obviously need multiple

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best cow call: my friend Leonard
The worst: any one you purchase

"it's the man, not the machine"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 2 for 2 with a plain old Hootchie Momma.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Blowing a cow call the first time in the elk woods I felt like the last chair in the trumpet section. I had to be the worst.

As a I stood there shaking my head and vowing to not try that again, a bull bugled less than 150 yards away. So I guess the worst can fool 'em sometimes.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LA - elk make all sorts of strange sounds and sometimes the noise you make works.

During second rifle season last year, we were following up a small herd through some thick trees when one of the worst bugles I have ever heard sounded off about 50 yards behind me. I stopped and stood there shaking my head and was a little pissed that some nit-wit was following us, right up our tracks. I stood there for less than a minute when a nice 6x6 came walking up and stood broadside, smiling at me less than 30 yards away. He seemed proud of the guteral sound that he had made.

And yeah, I had a cow tag while my friend with a bull tag was too far to my right to see the bull.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Primos lead cow and calf for me

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cowtalk by E.L.K., Inc....no doubt about it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only time I elk hunted and called I used a Primos Imakadabullscrazy (or something like that). Bull came in like a freight train but didn't give me a clear shot. Definitely got the blood pumping though.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I found a dead bull elk during archery season a few years ago. It was sitting in a low spot and would have been difficult to find. Couldn't decide what to do. Marked the location in my GPS, then decided to go ahead and yell and see if a hunter looking for an elk could hear me. After a couple minutes of yelling from the top of a deadfall I hear sounds below me. Cool, they heard me. Turns out it was one of the oldest, biggest 5x5 bulls I have seen walking up the hill towards me. So much for all that sneaking around in the woods or using fancy calls. Didn't get a shot, but it was a great experience. I haven't tried the yelling call since. Maybe I should.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

... It doesn't hurt to have 2-3 reed calls hanging around your neck

This is a hidden gem. Excellent advice.
If you aren't an expert caller and don't really know the elk language a few soft mews from more than one call can camouflage your presence. Just try to sound like a close, brief exchange between companion elk rather than a loud query to an unknown one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 100 or more elk living around my house almost year round except for heavy snow years. I can get the elk calling back with just about anything - hoochie mama, cow talk or mouth imitation. Elk aren't hard to call. My 10-year old is the king of mouth bugling elk.

However, when I hunt, I don't call anymore. My success has gone up by not drawing attention to myself.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by brymoore
However, when I hunt, I don't call anymore. My success has gone up by not drawing attention to myself.

My thoughts are similar. I do a few cow calls on occasion just to give credence to the noises I'm making. Definitely never bugle. Only time I will call for sure is if I've lightly spooked some elk. A few cow calls can often get them to go back to what they were doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A buddy and I used to call the Skeery the "Scary" game call. We ran elk out of the country when we tried that sucker! grin

Elk are funny, they'll come to some crazy sheit.

Got seperated from a hunting buddy on a quicky evening hunt, and being almost out of daylight I lit up the bugler and called one on top of the other, as fast as I could, so it would be obvious to him it was me, and not a bull. He later told me a big 6x6 circled downwind of me, and that was on top of the raghorn that almost ran me over.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.