Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FreeMe Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No - not all of them (us). The "what you don't like" thread just reminded me about something that I find really irritating. So many guys think that it is a good idea to buy a gun and immediately begin to "fix" things that he read somewhere need fixing (regardless whether his particular gun needs it or not), using the technique that he read somewhere or heard somewhere..........but would never be done by a competent gunsmith - at least not in that manner or to that gun. I see far too many posts from guys admitting (even bragging) that they have done this. Used to attempt to tell them why they should not - but it usually seems to go in one ear and out the other.

It is for this very reason that I advise inexperienced handgun shoppers to buy new instead of used, unless they have someone knowledgeable in the given design to go with them.

I shouldn't complain though. You should see what some guys do to boats.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like what?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
FreeMe Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Like what?

Let's see....

Probably the one I hear most is polishing a 1911 ramp or "throating" the barrel. Usually not needed, and most likely not the problem....if there is one. Lots of potential to go too far with a dremel, which seems to be a popular tool.

Adding extra-high-power recoil springs. Again, probably not what should be done to fix (or prevent?) a feeding problem. At least it's reversible. Pretty harsh on the gun.

We all know about the abuse done to sears and hammers on various guns, by those who don't have the tools or the skills to do a proper trigger job.

I am not a gunsmith, so I know I can't begin to make a comprehensive list of offenses. But I about gag every time I read the words "buff & fluff".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Probably the one I hear most is polishing a 1911 ramp or "throating" the barrel. Usually not needed, and most likely not the problem....if there is one.

If you've ever tried feeding flat nosed JHP's through a non-throated barrel with a piss-poor magazine, you'll revise your thinking really quick-like.

Fortunately, virtually all commercial barrels have been throated for some time.

MM

FreeMe Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Probably the one I hear most is polishing a 1911 ramp or "throating" the barrel. Usually not needed, and most likely not the problem....if there is one.

If you've ever tried feeding flat nosed JHP's through a non-throated barrel with a piss-poor magazine, you'll revise your thinking really quick-like.

Fortunately, virtually all commercial barrels have been throated for some time.

MM

Well, yeah. I should have qualified my remark, in that I was referring to the "throating" of barrels that already came that way. I'm sure you are aware that some guys think it just ain't enough, and don't even know there are proper angles and clearances to respect.

IMO, no one should be touching a tool to a ramp or a barrel unless they have the skill and the tools to check if the geometry is correct.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IMO, no one should be touching a tool to a ramp or a barrel unless they have the skill and the tools to check if the geometry is correct.

Yeah, I do agree with that in all respects.

However, taken on the whole & looking at the larger scope of 1911's today...............

There are lots of manufacturers of that model today, & fortunately most are pretty good & the components come from a relatively few suppliers, but not all 1911's are created equal & not all have all the necessary details accomplished to the level of delivering a reliable gun with all ammo out of the box.

If the gun is intended for plinking, then it doesn't really make much difference; if it's a gun that is carried or is a home defense weapon, then it matters a lot.

Personally, on a typical mass produced factory gun, if it's mine, I check all the parts for fit & function & adjust as necessary before it ever fires a round.

On a semi-custom or high-end gun, I inspect it & I just use the mags I like & shoot it, usually with no issues, since whoever built it likely did what I'd normally do.........occasionally there may be an minor adjustment needed or a minor tweak, usually not.

I believe strongly in a polished feed ramp, a polished throat & a polished chamber & a tuned extractor........I was taught that early on in my exposure to 1911's & every semi-custom or high end gun I've seen has those things done, so there is, obviously, validity to their value.

However, I did learn from a number of very talented shooters & machinists who were gunsmiths & I have the tools I need to do what might be needed.

Honestly, except for a few (foreign) guns which had genuine dimensional deviations, I've never seen a 1911 that couldn't be made reliable from a functioning standpoint.

YMMV

MM

FreeMe Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you pointed out for the audience that you are, in fact, qualified to do the work.

I question whether fine polishing is necessary for reliability, but it does look nice. And it certainly can be done without harm by someone who has the knowledge and skill. OTOH, I have seen at least one rough-looking ramp that functioned just fine. Not confidence-inspiring on the face of it. No. And I wouldn't expect it to look that way after a visit to a 'smith.

But the idea of Joe New Gun Owner going at it with a dremel until it shines (as is all too common) without even knowing what makes the gun tick - that's what bugs me. I firmly believe this is some of the stuff that gives people the idea that the 1911 is unreliable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good thread. I'm not a gunsmith so I leave the gunsmith work to competent gunsmiths.

My Colt Gold Cup gave me trouble right out of the box but to be honest it was designed to be a bulls eye gun and not an all around combat/hunting piece. Wilson fixed that. It's a shooter today.

One of many reasons for going with a Wilson was I did not want to buy a gun and then have to send it in and have it fixed to be reliable. So I just paid the big bucks up front got the gun I wanted and went out and shot it. Good decision on my part.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't do my own brain surgery either. laugh

Sam......

FreeMe Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, DD. And if you saved the invoice from Wilson (I bet you did), I would probably not have a problem buying your used Gold Cup (were we inclined to enter into such a deal).

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Come on Sam where's the fun in that! laugh

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't do my own brain surgery either. laugh

yep there's only 1 DIYguy crazy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we're overdue for that thread.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But the idea of Joe New Gun Owner going at it with a dremel until it shines (as is all too common) without even knowing what makes the gun tick - that's what bugs me. I firmly believe this is some of the stuff that gives people the idea that the 1911 is unreliable.

I've seen more than 1 aluminum alloy frame's ramp polished through the (hard) anodizing...........you can probably guess what happens then. laugh

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I like my handguns just like my underwear - I don't change a thing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I admit it. I just dremeled a WHOLE BUNCH on my perfectly good,much loved, awesome feeding RIA 10mm....

On the Rosewood CT GRIPS that I just put on it! I did not and will not touch the metal parts with any kind of cutting tool. The grips were pretty fat and slippery, and can be removed/replaced in seconds with only the removal of four screws. I dremeled in a way for my thumb to reach the magazine button as well as get a better overall grasp of things, and a place for my fingertips to reside and grip on the left panel of the grips. Last I heard, the grips don't have much to do with function so long as one can keep a firm hold of the gun.

I also added skateboard tape to the front of the non checkered grip frame.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman
OK, I admit it. I just dremeled a WHOLE BUNCH on my perfectly good,much loved, awesome feeding RIA 10mm....

On the Rosewood CT GRIPS that I just put on it! I did not and will not touch the metal parts with any kind of cutting tool. The grips were pretty fat and slippery, and can be removed/replaced in seconds with only the removal of four screws. I dremeled in a way for my thumb to reach the magazine button as well as get a better overall grasp of things, and a place for my fingertips to reside and grip on the left panel of the grips. Last I heard, the grips don't have much to do with function so long as one can keep a firm hold of the gun.

Boy you really screwed things up now that gun will never work again. laugh

How you doing BTW?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My dad said "There are 2 kinds of people that work on watches, jewelers and idiots".

I figure that applies to all kinds of repairs...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Been throating barrels and polishing feed ramps for decades, I don't have any tools to check if the geometry is correct. Honestly, I'm unaware of any such tools.

No geometry changes should ever be made. Polishing a feed ramp involves taking as little metal off the feed ramp just to remove any machine marks up; geometry shouldn't come into play.

Throating a barrel that has not been throated means taking the throat that's already there and carrying it up about 80 degrees on either side. The geometry of the throat never chances, nor should there be any less support on the case head. I will check with a fired case periodically, but it's a visual check (you can eyeball down to a thou).

Last edited by GunGeek; 07/18/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by safariman

Boy you really screwed things up now that gun will never work again. laugh

How you doing BTW?

Yeah, I had better go test it out today.

I am feeling a bit worse, have to sleep a lot etc. but I FINALLY have paperwork in hand and all of the approvals (Insurance co, my Nephrologist, their chief of the Kidney Transplant center) to now be an official patient of the U of W Kidney Transplant center aka Virginia Mason transplant hospital. So, whhile I feel pretty craappy a lot of the time I try to live life to the fullest my body will allow me, and I am hopeful and excited about the future now. Getting a Nurse coach conversation today, then off to a 3 day battery of tests and testing to determine my Kidney match markers etc.

THANK YOU for asking!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 76 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.