Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
I dunno. I blew up my heel and ankle and fusion was an option, but we didn't take it. Don't know why�it was up to the Doc. Anyway I was briefed before the surgery that sidehilling would be tough as the ankle would have no flex�so good boots and being careful would be the order of the day.

As it turned out with mine theres enough scar tissue in and on the ankle that the damn thing doesn't have any flex anyway�.

I am in Ingwe's boat my ankle is fused for lack of a better word by a Ti rod and screws holding the leg together. No flex at all and need to watch the sidehill. I am 5 months out of being hit by a car doing 45 mph and was told it would be rough for life and I am already stomping around in logger boots on inclines and wet slopes but NC isn't Colorado or any other higher elevation area. We are flat so we will see how it does in the mountains. Good luck with it however it goes.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spoke with B Lance's buddy, he was a wealth of information. He said going downhill with a fused ankle was the hardest, since you can't point your toe down and the heel strikes first. Makes sense to me. Also seems to me that if you were sidehilling, having your ankle basically locked wouldn't be such a bad thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...

With a double, you get a small amount of toe up/toe down as that part of the joint is not fused, so it is not difficult to go down, you just angle some more when descending. A triple would take that from you.

However, if the lower joint is fused (which provides the lateral movement), sidehilling is much more difficult as only one leg has the lateral movement for leaning to the uphill side

strap a stick to you leg and try it...:)

without lateral ankle movement, the pressure is put upon the knee and the Rockies will prove that point to a guy

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I spoke with B Lance's buddy, he was a wealth of information.

Glad that helped you.he has had more surgeries than anyone i know- shoulders, knees, ankles- all multiple times. Even my buddy that played in the NFL for 10 yrs has less surgeries than he.

FWIW, chuck still gets around pretty good but his backpacking for sheep days are over- though I wouldn't put it past him to try....he is a tough SOB.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, you'd be hard=pressed to find a guy who likes to backpack hunt and has had as many different things done to his ankles, thanks for making the connection.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Down hill stinks with limited mobility as does trying to bend down and pick stuff up since the ankle needs to slide back between the Tibia and Fibula when you walk or bend it is kind of like a piece of wood sliding inside a y if that makes sense. I am learning all kinds of things about what the muscles in the lower leg and ankle do. It sucks and I feel for you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.