Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone here who hikes and backpacks in the mountains had this (or have a friend who has)?

Just wondering how it turned out and how it affected your ability to get around in the mountains.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The alternative to a fusion is often no getting around at all...:)

Was in for a triple arthrodesis post wreck--told Doc I liked to hunt the hills and so did he as it turned out.

He did a double to give me a little more wiggle room.

Time on feet is limited, but with a great pair of mountain boots, currently Hanwags, one can get the job done.

Slower...:)

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess I need to look into the difference between a single, double, and triple, I assumed there was just one type.

So, a double leaves you with more flexibility than a single?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Less, I imagine. More natural flex--more pain. But don't know for sure--it was nearly 30yrs ago, too and I would think things have improved a bunch. He said then grinning, "use it now, before it turns to mush." I usually get into the Rockies at least once a year, DIY for the lion's share.

At the time, it was just a trade-off, a little more flexibility to climb in the hills, but more pain. Heel and lower were crushed. Are you wearing it down from an old injury?

Personally I do as little as possible to keep you going with maximum flexibility--you can always fuse more later as you wear it out. An accomplishment, like wearing out a barrel...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I dunno. I blew up my heel and ankle and fusion was an option, but we didn't take it. Don't know why�it was up to the Doc. Anyway I was briefed before the surgery that sidehilling would be tough as the ankle would have no flex�so good boots and being careful would be the order of the day.

As it turned out with mine theres enough scar tissue in and on the ankle that the damn thing doesn't have any flex anyway�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Chronic osteoarthritis from multiple ankle sprains when I was younger. It's getting a little more sore every year, and 800 mg. of Ibuprofen ain't what it used to be.

I've done some checking on-line, and been to two good orthopedic surgeons. Both said I'm not a candidate for ankle replacement, I'm not old enough and my activity level would wear out the prosthesis.

I'm not ready for fusion yet, but the day is coming so I just wanted to get some opinions from guys who've done it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The more joint movement the more pain. The pain is from arthritic joints. The fusion takes the joint movement away to decrease pain. So, it's a trade off residual movement vs residual pain.

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My buddy has had this done...and before that the insert...and before that something else. He just had his knee replaced a few weeks back.

We were in an unnamed wilderness area about 6 years ago when he had the plastic insert and took a short cut across a big long rock slide. He didn't have the balance he once did and fell a few times- once breaking the plastic insert in there. They told him the insert wouldn't work again and they had to fuse. I know for a fact he likes it better- no pain- though he doesn't have the flexibility. Tough sumbitch tho.

Before this last knee thing, he got around Ok, limped a little though. He didn't want to do pack trips as he wasn't supposed to carry a lot of weight, but still can carry a light 25# pack, just not heavy meat loads.

I'm sure he would be happy to fill you in on all of his ankle and knee surgeries, pm me if you want his number.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Smoke, that sucks man.

What did the docs have to say about your vitamin I intake?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grinning, you old guys are wrecks...

sidehilling isn't pretty...need a stick to stay on the hill

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tomk

Stick around awhile, you can play too grin

Last edited by docdb; 07/18/14.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Can't help with ankles, thank God, but I'm your huckleberry with rotator cuff surgery. Good luck with your decision!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I didn't wait for old age to get me, but jumped right in early to see what all the whining about the lower unit joints was about...:)

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by B_Lance
I'm sure he would be happy to fill you in on all of his ankle and knee surgeries, pm me if you want his number.

PM sent.

Originally Posted by cwh2
Smoke, that sucks man.

What did the docs have to say about your vitamin I intake?

It's not so bad, yet. It only really bothers me after a couple days of walking. But the day is coming.

As far as the Ibuprofen, the doc didn't bat an eye at that. 800 mg. is prescription strength for the average-sized person which is I believe 150 lbs. and I only take it when I'm hiking.

Old guys rule!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by docdb
Can't help with ankles, thank God, but I'm your huckleberry with rotator cuff surgery. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. I'll get back to you on the rotator cuff. A wise man once said "old guys are wrecks......"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

"Old guys rule!!" My wife and girls tell me this only happens between my ears...:)

fwiw...and that applies to anything I have ever said...I use an elliptical to keep the arthritis at bay for the knees/hips and to stay in the hills. I used to run (poorly) to keep the lower in shape but a foot doc told me a few years back that was a bad idea as there it is just a matter of wear and tear.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm still OK in the gym, and I don't run either. But after a couple days carrying a pack in the mountains, the ankle is barking at me, and giving it a biscuit doesn't shut it up.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by docdb

Stick around awhile, you can play too grin

My thoughts as I read your post.

Growing old beats the alternative. And then there's that marble yard, people dying to get in.

Every day above ground is a good one. Good to have our ticket, just don't want it punched too soon...

It's been said, never mess with an old guy, he'll take you out with his experience and treachery...

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Phil, sent you a PM with my buddies contact info...if anyone is an expert on how an ankle replacement or fusion affects your hunting -its he

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks B, sure sounds like it, exactly the kind of opinion I'm looking for.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
I dunno. I blew up my heel and ankle and fusion was an option, but we didn't take it. Don't know why�it was up to the Doc. Anyway I was briefed before the surgery that sidehilling would be tough as the ankle would have no flex�so good boots and being careful would be the order of the day.

As it turned out with mine theres enough scar tissue in and on the ankle that the damn thing doesn't have any flex anyway�.

I am in Ingwe's boat my ankle is fused for lack of a better word by a Ti rod and screws holding the leg together. No flex at all and need to watch the sidehill. I am 5 months out of being hit by a car doing 45 mph and was told it would be rough for life and I am already stomping around in logger boots on inclines and wet slopes but NC isn't Colorado or any other higher elevation area. We are flat so we will see how it does in the mountains. Good luck with it however it goes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spoke with B Lance's buddy, he was a wealth of information. He said going downhill with a fused ankle was the hardest, since you can't point your toe down and the heel strikes first. Makes sense to me. Also seems to me that if you were sidehilling, having your ankle basically locked wouldn't be such a bad thing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...

With a double, you get a small amount of toe up/toe down as that part of the joint is not fused, so it is not difficult to go down, you just angle some more when descending. A triple would take that from you.

However, if the lower joint is fused (which provides the lateral movement), sidehilling is much more difficult as only one leg has the lateral movement for leaning to the uphill side

strap a stick to you leg and try it...:)

without lateral ankle movement, the pressure is put upon the knee and the Rockies will prove that point to a guy

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I spoke with B Lance's buddy, he was a wealth of information.

Glad that helped you.he has had more surgeries than anyone i know- shoulders, knees, ankles- all multiple times. Even my buddy that played in the NFL for 10 yrs has less surgeries than he.

FWIW, chuck still gets around pretty good but his backpacking for sheep days are over- though I wouldn't put it past him to try....he is a tough SOB.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, you'd be hard=pressed to find a guy who likes to backpack hunt and has had as many different things done to his ankles, thanks for making the connection.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Down hill stinks with limited mobility as does trying to bend down and pick stuff up since the ankle needs to slide back between the Tibia and Fibula when you walk or bend it is kind of like a piece of wood sliding inside a y if that makes sense. I am learning all kinds of things about what the muscles in the lower leg and ankle do. It sucks and I feel for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.