Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking of starting another bedding job. This time on a Remngton 700 ADL. It has an aftermarket HS Precision stock (aluminum) on it. Any issues with bedding aluminum stocks or Remington actions that I should be aware of before I proceed? Anyone have any pics of where to apply the bedding material? Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Skim bed the action area and 1" infront of the lug. JMO

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What's the difference between bedding and skim bedding? Less material? I will research it some. Thanks.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You need to scuff the aluminum with sand paper to make sure the epoxy sticks.

If it shoots nice now, I wouldn't mess with it though. Those HS stocks usually shoot pretty good without bedding.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was planning on doing some light drilling of holes to help hold it and then scuff it? The barrel channel was huge for the sporter barrel and off center. I had it re barreled with a thicker contour to "fill" the channel and noticed the barrel no longer free floated. I sanded it out and free floated it. I have only shot 2 loads through it and thought it could do better and be more consistent. I had one great group almost 3 through the same hole then went back to the range and tried 6 rounds of that same load and couldn't reproduce the results. I figured heck I may as well bed it? Guess I could try a few more loads before bedding?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Check for rub marks on the front of the recoil shoulder in the stock and the back of the recoil lug of the barreled action.

If there's movement causing rub marks, until you bed it you're just spitting into the wind testing loads.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I will check it out.

J
J
just skim bedded 2 H-S lightweight stocks. One stock bolted up solid before bedding, the other stock had a pronounced rock while bolting up. Did one with Acra-glas and the other with devcon. Both shooting around half inch now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
I'm thinking of starting another bedding job. This time on a Remngton 700 ADL. It has an aftermarket HS Precision stock (aluminum) on it. Any issues with bedding aluminum stocks or Remington actions that I should be aware of before I proceed? Anyone have any pics of where to apply the bedding material? Thanks.

Esox, you may want to ask Rick Bin and Eddie Fausnaugh. Those guys are fn awesome with bedding remington 700's. When I bed them, it's under the whole receiver. It's up to you whether you put a little under the chamber area, but generally I just freefloat the whole barrel, even under the chamber...Your idea of drilling shallow holes to help anchor the bedding is a good idea along with scuffing it up well. I'd also use devcon steel 10110 bedding compound and call it a day..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Check channel on left (if you bed it, too) for clearance of bolt release. Bedded my .280 Rem BDL DM that way and had to dremel a bit away to be able to depress the bolt stop...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks BSA and the other guys. Anyone have any pics? Can someone differentiate "Skim Bedding" from "Bedding"? Not sure of the method?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Bedding is much more in depth. Ie Pillars, lots of stock work, bedding blocks etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3soqc66ds

Adding a fine layer to correct small imperfections between the stock (or in this case bedding block) and the action is Skim Bedding.

This is how I understand it anyways.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Bedding is much more in depth. Ie Pillars, lots of stock work, bedding blocks etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3soqc66ds

Adding a fine layer to correct small imperfections between the stock (or in this case bedding block) and the action is Skim Bedding.

This is how I understand it anyways.

Pretty much. I wish Eddie F or Rick bin would post some pics of some of their work. Here is one I did a while back (actualy a rem 788) and it is not very good work, but at least it is a picture so you have an idea of where the glass goes. Accuracy was excellent. I left a little clearance on the bottom and front of the recoil lug:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link Panh!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
NICE BSA!! I will give it a shot.

Here is another link I found on a way to bed if anyone is interested on how they did it? http://rdprecision.net/do-it-yourself-action-bedding/

Last edited by Esox357; 07/19/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Skim bed the action area and 1" infront of the lug. JMO

I've bedded several 700s of own and a few for others. One of my go to hunting rifles is a 700 SS 30-06 bedded in an HSP stock/aluminum bedding block. HSP claims that no bedding is necessary. I skim bedded the action, paying close attention to the recoil lug area and the tang. The rifle went from a 2" shooter to this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good go know. I may just do the bedding block and tang and skip the skim bedding it looks like it could turn into a mess quick?

Nicely done though getting it to shoot like that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you "inlet" or remove much of the stock before bedding?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The stock you have will only need skim bedding if the RIFLE tells you it needs it.
The only way to tell when you have an ALUMINIUM BEDDING BLOCK already in the stock is to soot the barreled action and carefully reinstall it into the stock, torque the action screws and then dismantle it again. You then need to look at the contact points and decide if a skim job is needed. This is normally done when the stock is made to ensure good contact before it is shipped.
The biggest thing with these stocks is the fact that the pillars are in full contact with the action, and when assembling the rifle after teardown that you pull the rifle rearward to make full contact with the recoil lug, if not it will shoot erratically.
If you decide to skim bed this rifle, do not make the recoil lug tight, you will regret it later on, trust me, if it has full contact now, I would leave it alone. Skim bedding means just that, a skim layer of bedding to fill small imperfections, you do not inlet, drill or remove bedding block or stock material, just a light scuffing of the aluminium is ample. You will still need to leave room for the recoil lug on the sides and in front, but this area is done from the factory 'just right' anyway.
Repeatability in a load is not always due to a poor stock bed, it can be caused by the weather, heat, humidity etc.

Cheers.

Last edited by 416RigbyHunter; 07/20/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very well explained. I appreciate your advice on the stock. Someone said Prussia Blue could help identify if it is rubbing as well? Not sure since I have never used/heard of it? I will post back once I get her figured out and my results. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 72 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.