Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9029329 07/17/14
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
My brother has a 7600 carbine in 30-06. If the chamber is not constantly kept clean, The fired case will stick in the chamber. At least twice I have seen him actually pull the rim off the case while trying to get it unstuck. Where we hunt, it can get dusty or damp, and you may only get a chance or two a season. Asside from just keeping a chamber brush in his hip pocket, is there anything that can be done? My first thought is to either have the chamber poloshed or maybe even chromed, if that's possible. Any ideas?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duh! Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. If you polish the chamber there's little left for the brass to cling to when the shot is fired and the case expands. That produces more thrust on the bolt and eventually will cause bigger problems. Chroming the chamber will reduce the chamber dimension. That's not a good thing either and may lead to problems chambering cartridges. You've hit a problem head on that our troops ran into in the sandbox. Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. wink Just for curiosity's sake, does he carry a round in the chamber or hunt with an empty chamber. If the action is closed with a round in the chamber dirt can't get in. If the chamber is empty then you're inviting all kinds of crusty stuff to make their home there.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Duh! Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. If you polish the chamber there's little left for the brass to cling to when the shot is fired and the case expands. That produces more thrust on the bolt and eventually will cause bigger problems. Chroming the chamber will reduce the chamber dimension. That's not a good thing either and may lead to problems chambering cartridges. You've hit a problem head on that our troops ran into in the sandbox. Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. wink Just for curiosity's sake, does he carry a round in the chamber or hunt with an empty chamber. If the action is closed with a round in the chamber dirt can't get in. If the chamber is empty then you're inviting all kinds of crusty stuff to make their home there.

I'm not dumb. I know if you keep the chamber clean it will function. He hunts with a round in the chamber and it still happens. The rest of us hunt in the same environment as him and don't have this problem. That's why I was thinking he must have a rough chamber. I hunt deer here with an auto shotgun, and have come to the conclusion that ,to keep it functioning properly, I have to totally break it down and clean it every 2 weeks or so. If I could find a way to lessen the need to clean it so often, I would. That's what he was looking for. He cleans it every couple weeks. Right after cleaning, it does fine. If he hasn't cleaned it in a little bit, and shoots at something, he may only have one shot.

Last edited by fldoghunter; 07/18/14.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by fldoghunter
My brother has a 7600 carbine in 30-06. If the chamber is not constantly kept clean, The fired case will stick in the chamber. At least twice I have seen him actually pull the rim off the case while trying to get it unstuck. Where we hunt, it can get dusty or damp, and you may only get a chance or two a season. Asside from just keeping a chamber brush in his hip pocket, is there anything that can be done? My first thought is to either have the chamber poloshed or maybe even chromed, if that's possible. Any ideas?

I would take it to a good gunsmith and check it out, it might have some rust in there or something that is making it hang up. It could have been chambered from the factory with a undersized chamber. Good LucK

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is he using factory ammo? May try other brands. If it were my gun, the gun and chamber would get checked by a good gunsmith. The problem needs to be fixed or send the gun down the road. He may lose a nice buck because of it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's already screwed up the chamber by not cleaning it often enough.
There's very little that can be done now

There's a reason those guns come with a chamber brush

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would venture to guess that the chamber has suffered the effects of rust and may be a bit rougher than normal. I would find someone familiar in the complete dis assembly of the rifle and have the chamber polished while spinning and centered in a lathe.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
He is using factory rem and win ammo. I'll pass on the info. Thanks, fellas.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If they were nice, they might have suggested running a cleaning rod down the barrel, open the tip end of a slotted tip and insert a piece of scotch-brite, put it into the receiver and screw back onto the rod. With the end of the rod in a drill he can polish the chamber. The same trick with an oversize brush will clean up the shoulder and throat.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd trade it for a 7400....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
send it to Remington and they will fix it or replace the barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
send it to Remington and they will fix it or replace the barrel
Maybe - for a price...

I'd bet money that all this barrel needs is a good chamber polish. then, at the end of each day, open the action and quickly clean/lube that chamber to prevent any surface rust from re-forming.. Let any rifle like that with a fouled chamber in humid conditions and the owner is just begging for trouble..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it was mine, I'd remove the barrel retaining nut, separate the barrel from the receiver, stick the barrel in a padded vice and give the chamber a good polishing with a drill and emery cloth.

Then, I'd be real particular about keeping the chamber clean.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'll get him over here and we'll try that. Saw a video online how to take it all the way apart, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Thanks, fellas

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That nut can be pretty tight. Use a good fitting wrench. You may need some heat to get it loose. Just don't go crazy with the torch...!

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fldoghunter
I'll get him over here and we'll try that. Saw a video online how to take it all the way apart, and it doesn't look bad at all.
Oh, so it's never been fully disassembled and cleaned?? I was under the impression it had been done from the OP..

Two things: you WILL need a bit of heat to break the factory red lock-tite on the action tube.. Second, when you get it apart, also clean the inside of the action tube and inspect/lube and/or replace the O-ring that's there..

Heat is applied to the lower 1/2" of the action tube just ahead of the receiver.. Done once, you won't have to do that again..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Lee.

Your explanation was better than mine...

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice tutorial, bea.

Thanks for posting.

The barrel retaining tube is a bit different than the barrel retaining nut on earlier models. The idea and function are the same.

OP should now be able to rock and roll, polish the chamber and live happily ever after... cool

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.