-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I always enjoy seeing how y'all do things in other parts of the country and in work that I've never been around. I got to spend some time around some scaffolding last night and it reminded me of the Bluedreaux that I was, before I was Bluedreaux. I thought some of y'all might enjoy seeing some stuff that's relatively specific to the industrial refining industry.

Way back then I wasn't allowed to have a camera at work and never thought to take pictures of stuff anyway. But I found some pics online and metal sticks all look the same anyway.

The most fun I've ever had at work was building scaffolding in refineries. We never used the frame stuff, it was all stick scaffolding put together one piece at a time.

The guys in the middle had a crap job....You just stood there and passed 40# boards and legs to the guys above you all day long. But if you weren't afraid of heights and had some hustle you would stay at the top putting it all together. The decks were put on as you built it up, so you never had a deck to stand on to build, you just stood on the horizontal bars or the lips on the legs.
[Linked Image]

They would get complicated sometimes, having to build around weird tanks or building hanging scaffolding kinda like in the second pic.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I liked it best when we went straight up. The highest I ever went was 140'. And when you got that high you were nearly all by yourself, standing on a 2" pipe, handling 10' long 40# legs, just swaying in the wind.
[Linked Image]

There were usually too many guys going up when the day started and after breaks to use the ladders so we'd just grab a leg on a corner and start shimmying straight up to the top. It was a blast.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After I got on full time with a maintenance crew we also did asbestos abatement and insulation / metal work.

After building the scaffolding we'd wrap the entire thing in several layers of plastic sheeting, spray glueing and duct taping as we went. After it was all closed in we attached giant air movers with HEPA filters in them to the ground floor (blowing out) to keep negative pressure on the whole structure.

The refineries wouldn't shut the machines off until the very last minute, which was after the asbestos was removed. So we worked all day in respirators, rubber boots and doubled up Tyvek suits. When we stopped for a break we would pour the sweat out of our boots like we'd been standing in the rain.

The reinforced plastic we used melted at 325*. One of the plastic walls was about two feet from the end of a tank we were stripping and kept melting so fast that we had to station one guy at the wall to just keep replacing that piece of plastic every few minutes. It was literally like working in an oven and they'd sometimes have to rotate us out of the structure every twenty minutes or so.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After the asbestos was off we'd reinsulate the pipes and tanks (with stuff that's just as dangerous and they'll have to remove the same way in 20 years). But after the insulation was on we'd wrap it all in aluminum or stainless steel.

This job wasn't as fun as the scaffolding because you were usually crawling through pipes and working pretty cramped a lot of the time. But it soothed my OCD more than anything else I've ever done. I really, really miss doing the metal work. All of the metal was cut to length and the corners / valves / end caps were laid out in our shop. So if you could lay out the corners and heads you could skip most of the insulating to work on the metal back at the shop.

Some of it was just regular piping and you might run hundreds of feet of uninterrupted pipe. But some was a maze of corners and valves and joints. To get the metal in place on the large tanks we'd buy bungee cord on a spool and wrap the entire tank-or use metal bands with giant springs every 20' or so.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The heads would need the insulation cut into blocks around 3"-6" wide and filled in with wedges. Then they'd be mudded over with a quickcrete type mixture and given a contour that the metal would cover without buckling. When the tank was vertical and we had to do a bottom head each piece of insulation had to be kept in place with a bungee strap until we could secure the section with stainless tie wire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When I left the job money was tight and I aaaaallllllmost sold my banders (that you used to tighten the SS straps around the metal) but I hung on to them. They're like these, only all the finish is worn off of them. I keep them around now to remind me that no matter how bad I think my job is, I could always be back in a refinery in a plastic oven.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Posts like this absolutely make these fora.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helluva post. Better you than me. Pears sent. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Eric, I am glad there are folks that are willing to do that sort of work. God knows I would be a disaster 'up there', swaying in the wind.
Good pictorial, and thanks. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're my boy Blue......You're my boy.

Thank God I'm not fond of heights.
Thanks for spilling the beans. Good write up.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interestink, veddy interestink Blue. I was a plumbers apprentice and grew up on a farm, decided police work was more to my liking.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd still be doing it but one day I realized that carpenters never retire, they just become old carpenters. At some point I wanna stay home and enjoy time with my wife, so I do this instead.

I'm eleven years in and I suppose it's just a phase, but I'm really done with this gig. I hope I get over it before I do something stupid like quit, but there are other things to do that would be much more rewarding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you do now, Blue?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some here assume I'm a cop but I'd never admit to it, lol.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
So you gave up the bear wrasslin' gig?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We trained [bleep] to fly in spacecraft in the early 60,s.

Good job building scaffolding with your erector set Jimmy Neutron.

Working for dad in office supply
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
So you gave up the bear wrasslin' gig?

I ain't dead yet, there's still time!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Gotcha! Good luck with the bear wrasslin' gig. If you need any help keepin' the ladies in line....

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blue, my estimation of you has risen to new heights. I owned and operated a company in SOCAL for10 years doing the same thing.
interesting but not what wanted to d when grew up. still don't
know what that is {except for fishing, hunting, being big game hunter in Africa, treasure hunter etc.) alas though all I do is hunt and fish.

those are great pictures that demonstrate the things that made this country great and the things that are eating away at that greatness. like the removal of static asbestos just to satisfy some EPA's stupid edict. been there done that. Escaped

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We make a lot of springs that are used in refinery piping of one sort or another, also the insulation jacketing systems.

Wish O would approve Keystone, it would probably increase refining activity, which would be a good thing for us.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can forget Keystone. the only things zero approves is if it is bad for the country.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
you can forget Keystone. the only things zero approves is if it is bad for the country.

Zero has a different pipeline coming up through mexico...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.