Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Was looking at a used, but never fired, Henry .45-70 the other day and was wondering what a fair price would be for it. I've seen new ones listed online at Cabela's for $749.00. Also the rear aperture is rather large, can those be changed out and if so through whom?

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Made an offer and got a hell of a deal. E-mailed XS on the sight and will wait to hear from them. Thanks.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
XS sells three smaller sizes for the ghost ring rear sight. Something like $7-8 each if I remember right. Just give them a call and they will fix you up. I bought two different sizes for mine but found a Nikon 1x4 in the safe so am putting that on it instead.

Give them a call, they shipped mine out the same day.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Phoned XS and ordered a .191 rear aperture from them. They were out of the .150 but recommended Brownell's. They run $12.00 each. There is also a threaded option so you can use various threaded disc apertures. Thinking the .191 should be open enough for close work and tight enough for distance. Stock Henry size was a .230.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Just an update. Tried the .191 which really measures about .185 and it was still too large. Ordered a long shank that's threaded to accept various apertures from XS and ordered a 3 aperture set from Brownells that thread into it. The set gives me a .050, a .093 and a .125 aperture. I'm thinking the .050 is def. too small but there is hope for the other two. If all else fails I got the scope mount base numbers from Leupold and Weaver. May end up with a small magnification scope yet. 1x5, 1x6, 2x7 etc.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Tried the .093 and the .050 apertures a few days ago. With the .093 aperture my groups came down to about 4-1/4 inches at 100 yards. I can certainly live with that. The .050 really didn't do any better. The best part was it only took about 30 seconds to swap from one aperture to another. Starting to like the Henry a little better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know what the intended use for your Henry is, but before heading afield try out those apertures on an overcast day on a low definition target (think deer in the brush or bear in the shadows) The good thing about the screw in aperture is you can take it out and stick it in your pocket when you find you cant get a sight picture, hopefully before the chance at a trophy presents itself.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Good idea. That has been in the back of my mind during this entire process of elimination. I want to be able to effectively place shots, but still get a good fast sight picture on bear or mountain lion. I don't plan on carrying different apertures around with me and will have to decide on one. I'm discovering the key to hitting anything with a large rear peep, for me anyway, is practice, practice, practice. Hopefully as I get better I can go up?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might consider an adjustable disc by Merit that goes from .025" to .155" by simply turning a ring on the disc....kinda like a variable scope. It has an aperture similar to a camera lens to vary the opening diameter.

merit #4 huning disc

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Kind of like that. Could just dial what I want. May still scope it just to see what the rifle is capable of. But at least for now I'm hitting the target.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I put a 1.5x5 Leupold with a German post on mine and I really like it. The field of view is huge and the stock design seems built for using a scope otherwise I need to really press down with my cheek to the stock.
47 grains of RL7 with a 350 grain bullet is the only load I have tried so far but 3 shots is pretty much a cloverleaf at 50 yards. Might drop it down to 45 grains.

When I feel nostalgic I'll carry my Winchester extra lite with the peep sights:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.