Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All parts are there, standard model in good shape, 85% wood/metal, no alterations, factory stamped barrel/chambering. Does anyone have an idea what to offer? Past sale prices? I don't see this chambering very often.

Appreciated in advance,

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't think they ever made a 35 Whelen in the pre 64 model 70. As far as I know, the first factory made 35 whelen was introduced in 1987 (by Remington in their 700 Classic). Even though the "wildcat" cartridge was developed by Col. Townsend Whelen in 1922. I'd like to see pics of your "factory stamped barrel/chambering" 1952 model 70. What you have is more than likely a re-barreled rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here was one, at least...
http://www.liveauctionworld.com/Pre...lt-Action-Carbine-in-35-Whelen_i19367549

I don't know how much the transition action and auction process influence price/value.

I am also a little hesitant to buy a gun just to have in the safe, but if it is a solid investment, I will regret missing out.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would pass on it. Have no idea on value because my guess is that it is a fake. Not 100% sure, but 99%.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There was a thread in this forum in early May discussing this and other "professionally refinished" M70's in uncatalogued chamberings at the May RIA auction. Personally, would have no regrets missing out on this gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have studied this model for many decades now and have to agree with fellow responders. The chance this is original is extremely slim. But never say never where Winchesters are the topic. I saw one in 405 Winchester at the Cody Winchester Collectors show. Winchester would try about anything once or twice. But there are a great many high quality fakes around. I knew a gunsmith with enormous talent that spent his career faking Marlin Marauders and would turn any abused Winchester that arrived at his shop into a "factory" high grade gun with superb engraving and wood.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like others I'd be leary of any of these "professionaly refinished" guns in rare calibers. Another thing that bothers me about the rifle in the link is that it says the rifle's front bridge is drilled and tapped yet it still has a type 1 safety.

I've always wanted a P64 M70 in 35 Whelen. I figured I would find an "06 in so-so shape and put a new barrel on it. The OP says the one he is looking at the guy is asking $1900, at that price I would be very interested in it even if it's not original.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Buy it reelman....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That'd be a dream to own a Pre64 35 Whelen. Talk about oozing cool!

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
That'd be a dream to own a Pre64 35 Whelen. Talk about oozing cool!

Very cool (no doubt), but a 99.9% chance it is faked. If not, it better damn well have some documentation with it proving it is original. Usually your first hunch is right...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yeah. I meant a build of a Pre64 into a 35 Whelen. I agree, slim chance of a real Whelen Pre64. Not a huge surprise though, the Whelen wasn't standardized till the 80's was it?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, 1987 in the Remington 700 classic... I agree though: A whelen, or even one of my favorites (the 9.3x62mm) would be skookum for sure..

This is going to sound funny, but did you guys see the person on ebay advertising "NEW" pre 64 model 70 barrels in every configuration imaginable. His buy it now price was $1,000.00. This was a while back when I saw the auction (maybe 5 months ago), but I think he got shut down pretty fast. I haven't seen him there since. He said he could turn out a perfect factory barrel in any chambering. You name it, he could do it. Seemed very strange/illegal to me, but there are guys out there still doing this..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Reelman,

Now its 1425.00...

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/368997_Winchester_Model_70_35_Whelen_.html

Again, I haven't seen it, but am working on the assumption that it is this rifle, previously sold in AK: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8511340/For_Sale_Winchester_Model_70_i

FWIW-

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You are probably right. Hunthard goes through a lot of rifles. Obviously, the rifle that Tim bought was a re-bore (to 35 Whelen) and priced accordingly ($900.00).. The other place is foolishly/ignorantly trying to sell it as an original when it's not.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No pics in the link, but I bet that rifle looks very familiar. The caliber markings were very well done, but couldn't be mistaken for factory by someone familiar with pre64s. If it is the same gun, it says a lot about the seller.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I bought it I would look and price it as a custom built on a pre 64 action. Great cal. Im willing to bet it has a fantastic Lothar Walthar barrel. I also doubt it was built to pass as a factory counterfeit, just a nice custom using the original 'dog knot 'profile. A lot of smiths do not like Lothar Walther as they are so hard and require a special technique to work. I have used,shot 2 of theses barrels that were hummer accurate, limit factor was nut behind trigger. very best Winpoor

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I know a guy who has a pre 64 whelen, but again it suffers for the same problem of no provinance. I have been round and round on this gun, and as I see it there are only two ways it could be orginal. One as said here it is a custom order form winchester, or two and I think this far more likely. It was a recalled 35 remington and some very smart individual had it rechambered into 35 whelen. I still want one but the price these guys are asking are just way too high for gun that while way cool, is just to hard to confirm.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not aware of any 35 Rem recall. They recalled the 358Win but all of those would be in the Featherweight configuration. I have one ot these that was rechambered to 350 Rem Mag but no attempt to conceal it not being original was made.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The Whelen is a fake....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.