Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
In the last 5-6 years our camp has killed probably a dozen cows and spikes with 165gr bullets from an '06.

I used an accubond on a couple,my brother used ballistic tips on a couple. IIRC my buddy has killed 3 with core-lokts. Another buddy uses partitions.

165s of all different flavors work for us.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I killed my cow last year with a 150 NBT from a 308. 150ish yards and it was a mature cow. The bullet smashed though the onside shoulder and the jacket was under the hide behind the opposite shoulder. Couldn't find the core, but the jacket penetrated the meat between the ribs.

The cow stumbled 30 yards or so and dropped....

The 165's you mention in the '06 should be just fine..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's called coming apart and is to be avoided. You got lucky. NBT's are designed for deer sized game. AB's & PT's are designed for elk sized stuff but I've had 180 gr. AB's come apart the same way. The PT is much stronger than either.

From Nosler's web site:
Game Recommendations:

Hogs, Antelope, Deer

From Nosler's FAQ's:
What is the difference between the Ballistic Tip� and the AccuBond�?

Externally, they look the same except for the tip colors, Ballistic Tip� bullets are color-coded by caliber while all AccuBond� bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip� is not bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention. Conversely, the lead alloy core of the AccuBond� is bonded to the jacket. This bonding increases weight retention (65-70%) and slows expansion resulting in deeper penetration and enhanced bone-breaking potential in larger animals.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I killed my cow last year with a 150 NBT from a 308. 150ish yards and it was a mature cow. The bullet smashed though the onside shoulder and the jacket was under the hide behind the opposite shoulder. Couldn't find the core, but the jacket penetrated the meat between the ribs.

The cow stumbled 30 yards or so and dropped....

The 165's you mention in the '06 should be just fine..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's called coming apart and is to be avoided. You got lucky. NBT's are designed for deer sized game. AB's & PT's are designed for elk sized stuff but I've had 180 gr. AB's come apart the same way. The PT is much stronger than either.

Glad somebody said it..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's far from bullet failure when an animal dies within 30 yards. Considering the bullet smashed through the onside shoulder and was caught under the hide on the opposite side (after exiting the meat), I wouldn't hesitate to use it again at 308 velocities. The insides were Jello....

Call it coming apart or bullet failure if you want, but the results were devastating. When going on an elk hunt again, I'll probably use stouter bullet. Not because I was unhappy with the performance with the 150NBT, but I just like to experiment. I'm betting she'd have traveled farther after the shot had I been using a TSX...

Two days later I stood beside the guy in the picture below and watched him shoot a bull at about 300 yards....with a 25-06 and 117 grain Hornady soft points.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful Elk! Man, pictures like that get me revved up! Very nice!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nice bull.

Good times just being there.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's far from bullet failure when an animal dies within 30 yards. Considering the bullet smashed through the onside shoulder and was caught under the hide on the opposite side (after exiting the meat), I wouldn't hesitate to use it again at 308 velocities. The insides were Jello....

Call it coming apart or bullet failure if you want, but the results were devastating. When going on an elk hunt again, I'll probably use stouter bullet. Not because I was unhappy with the performance with the 150NBT, but I just like to experiment. I'm betting she'd have traveled farther after the shot had I been using a TSX...

Two days later I stood beside the guy in the picture below and watched him shoot a bull at about 300 yards....with a 25-06 and 117 grain Hornady soft points.

You got lucky this time. Next time it might come apart before it gets through the shoulder. Any time a bullet comes apart like that, it's a failure and will often result in a wounded and lost animal. Nosler says it's made for deer, not elk. They make stronger ones to do the job better. I've had AB's come apart like that and they're much stronger than BT's. A few years ago, I found an AB jacket under the hide just like that. Later when we cooked the heart we found the core inside it. I figured I got lucky with that one and I was using a bullet supposedly made for the job.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MT2000
Do think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond out of a 30-06 is fine for elk? I'd like a single load for my 30-06 that can be used on anything from deer to elk and I think a 165 grain bullet would be a good weight for a wide range of game. And do you think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond would penetrate through an elk's shoulder?

Do your part and the elk will die.

My experience with a .30-06 on elk is limited to three cows. Two dropped straight down after being hit with a 165g North Fork SS. The first, at about 125 yards, disappeared in the tall sage and we had to circle around a deep gulley to get to her. She struggled back to her feet as I approached but didn�t move and I finished her from about 10 feet. The other, shot at about 25 yards, got back up immediately, although with difficulty, and I dropped her with a second shot. She slid to the bottom of a steep slope. The third was with a 150g AccuBond, range 262 yards. That one dropped straight down and stayed there.

More elk have gone straight down to my 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam than any other combo, but I�ve also used it more times than all my other rifles combined. None were lost and none went far � the exception being two cows that made it about 40 yards. Most of those Grand Slams exited and it wasn�t until my last elk with that combo (after 20+ years of using it) that I recovered one. That bullet had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull and stopped under the hide on the off side. My 7mm RM loads back then were not particularly fast and the sectional density of the 160g/7mm bullets is slightly lower than a 165g/.308� bullet. In other words, in terms of velocity, diameter and weight the loads were similar to what you are contemplating and they worked very well.

This year I�ll be using a .30-06 again, most likely with factory WW 180g Power Point ammo. My backup rifle will most likely be a .30-06 with 150g AccuBond handloads. My confidence level in both is high, provided I do my part but I will apply my long held belief in shooting them until they are down and stay that way. (Given good shooting I don�t recall ever needing more than 2 shots to put one on the ground. There was a cow I shot with a .338/225g AB that took three, but placement of the first was horrible, above the spine. The second would have done the job, a third just speeded things up a bit.)

Provided you shoot them well, either a 165g AB or Partition should work just fine. Some elk go down faster than others, even if mortally wounded, so always be ready for a follow-up shot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Do think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond out of a 30-06 is fine for elk? I'd like a single load for my 30-06 that can be used on anything from deer to elk and I think a 165 grain bullet would be a good weight for a wide range of game. And do you think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond would penetrate through an elk's shoulder?

Do your part and the elk will die.

My experience with a .30-06 on elk is limited to three cows. Two dropped straight down after being hit with a 165g North Fork SS. The first, at about 125 yards, disappeared in the tall sage and we had to circle around a deep gulley to get to her. She struggled back to her feet as I approached but didn�t move and I finished her from about 10 feet. The other, shot at about 25 yards, got back up immediately, although with difficulty, and I dropped her with a second shot. She slid to the bottom of a steep slope. The third was with a 150g AccuBond, range 262 yards. That one dropped straight down and stayed there.

More elk have gone straight down to my 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam than any other combo, but I�ve also used it more times than all my other rifles combined. None were lost and none went far � the exception being two cows that made it about 40 yards. Most of those Grand Slams exited and it wasn�t until my last elk with that combo (after 20+ years of using it) that I recovered one. That bullet had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull and stopped under the hide on the off side. My 7mm RM loads back then were not particularly fast and the sectional density of the 160g/7mm bullets is slightly lower than a 165g/.308� bullet. In other words, in terms of velocity, diameter and weight the loads were similar to what you are contemplating and they worked very well.

This year I�ll be using a .30-06 again, most likely with factory WW 180g Power Point ammo. My backup rifle will most likely be a .30-06 with 150g AccuBond handloads. My confidence level in both is high, provided I do my part but I will apply my long held belief in shooting them until they are down and stay that way. (Given good shooting I don�t recall ever needing more than 2 shots to put one on the ground. There was a cow I shot with a .338/225g AB that took three, but placement of the first was horrible, above the spine. The second would have done the job, a third just speeded things up a bit.)

Provided you shoot them well, either a 165g AB or Partition should work just fine. Some elk go down faster than others, even if mortally wounded, so always be ready for a follow-up shot.

CH, I'll be looking for a report on how well those 180gr. WW powerpoints do for you. I've been burning up a lot of them for the past year now. I'll also be using those on my buck this year. Good ol 30-06 running them at 2730 fps should work out nicely. Good luck with your hunting..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

CH, I'll be looking for a report on how well those 180gr. WW powerpoints do for you. I've been burning up a lot of them for the past year now. I'll also be using those on my buck this year. Good ol 30-06 running them at 2730 fps should work out nicely. Good luck with your hunting..

Thanks. Come end of season I hope I have something to report!

Good luck to you as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot a lot of elk with a 270 using 150gr Speer Hotcores. They've held up extremely well and are very lethal. 165's in a 30-06 should do as well or better.
I have very little experience with Winchesters. I reload everything and nobody around here sells their bullets.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Crod1972 sells Winchester power point bullets on the cheap. Last time, I bought 750 from him for my 06's and they are surprisingly accurate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond out of a 30-06 is fine for elk?

It'll do, but you might want to consider the 168 Barnes TSX.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've killed a number of elk using the lowly .308 and 165 grain Sierra hollow point Game Kings. The are superbly accurate and on elk and mule deer their performance has left absolutely nothing to be desired.

On the negative side, past 600, due to their very poor BC, and essentially having the ballistic resemblance of a pumpkin, they really get blown around by the wind.

Due to this I try to limit my shots to under 6, with most ending up being in the low to mid 4s for whatever reason.

Personally once I run out of my supply, I'm switching over to scenars, due to their excellent accuracy, and excellent long range performance. That however is a whole other rabbit trail.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.