Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking for some one in the greater Portland Oregon area who does this , so I might tag along and observe. If you wouldn't mind to show the UN-informed around, it would be most appreciated. If any one can help please PM me. Thank for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Coyotes are a tough critter. Just get out there and make mistakes.
I have been hunting them for years and still ant no good at it..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don,

I don't live near you but I will expand a little on what rainierrifleco said. It ain't rocket science. It is just hunting, that's all.

Buy the foxpro now in the classifieds section, get camo'ed up, have a lower powered centerfire 22 or 243 on hand with a low powered scope or variable set on 2 or 3, get out into the scablands, back to some brush or trees and wind in your face. Looking into a valley or small canyon or draw is awesome. Play with the sounds on the foxpro while you sit there with your rifle resting in your shooting sticks and lap. Don't move. Move your eyes inside of your head instead of your whole head to look around. Sooner or later, a coyote will show and then you blast him.

You now have a Masters degree in coyote hunting. Time for the practicum and the residency aka time out there doin it. Those of us who have done this a bit know that the gimmicks and trends that come along are only that. Going out there and observing and doing is where its at.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wind is the best advice you will ever get smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Wind is the best advice you will ever get smile

Agreed ^^^
And I'll take a cross wind over "wind in your face". Coyotes ALWAYS come in down wind so with "the wind in your face" you'll never see em because they'll be behind you.
I'd start with a mouth call. Plenty of instructions on the interweb on how to use them. Then move up to an e-caller,,, eventually get tired of messing with buttons, batteries, and expensive gadgets,,, and go back to the mouth call. Most Coyotes these days have already heard all the sounds "FoxPro" makes anyway.

Luck

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And coyotes don't always go by the rules. Once my partner and I were set up with the wind in our face and the sun at our backs, just like the books say and one came from directly behind us. My partner hit him twice with 12 ga. 3" #4 buck, he stumbled once and kept going. Last we saw of him, he was about 800 yds. out and still running hard. Main thing is just try to set up right and get out there and do it, like they say, "practice makes perfect". I don't think there's any one perfect way to do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRoper
And coyotes don't always go by the rules. Once my partner and I were set up with the wind in our face and the sun at our backs, just like the books say and one came from directly behind us.

You just made my point.
The Coyote came in "down wind" which happened to be "behind you".
He may not have gotten your scent right off but I wouldn't count on that happening on a regular basis.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 07/27/14.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My fav coyote calling method was using a portable "sectional" ladder blind, made of lightweight aluminum. After scouting an area, I'd backpack the blind into where I wanted to hunt. Getting 10 ft. or so above the surface wind is effective.

Our calls of the day were "Weems", and my call of choice was the two pieces of plastic with a rubber band stretched through the middle. Biting the plastic changed the tone.

Being an old-time duck hunter, my most successful calling technique was subtle intermittent rabbit squeals rather than the continuous squall the new digital calls use.

Best of luck bagging some yotes!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You certainly aren't going to get a "masters degree" in predator calling from a couple of very elementary paragraphs. There has been some very good basic advise given, the best being about the wind direction/crosswind set-ups. Keep researching and get outdoors and put solid information into play. You'll screw up some and get busted, you'll get damned aggravated at times and then you'll begin to see a little success here and there. Predator calling is one hell of a lot fun and quite challenging too. Have fun and keep learning throughout your time afield.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As MOGC stated, this thread is a perfect example of why there are so many educated coyotes out there from the folks who think its as easy as sitting on a hill with a Foxpro...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As MOGC stated, this thread is a perfect example of why there are so many educated coyotes out there from the folks who think its as easy as sitting on a hill with a Foxpro...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Double post.....

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,
I agree, things changed with the availability of inexpensive e-callers. I call more coyotes with hand calls.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, but he still came within 35 yds. of us. I've had them come from all directions no matter the wind direction. Just trying to point out that you can't always count them to do the expected. Moat of them I've called in came from up wind then as they get close they start circling to try to get down wind. Sometimes one will just come barging in not paying any attention to wind at all. Coyotes are unpredictable.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The only call I have ever had was Barnham Bros. call back in the sixties and the rubber has deteriorated.,What hand calls do you folks use?
I do appreciate all the input that has been provided.
Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 07/29/14.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is no shortage of good calls on the market today. Pick any one. They all will call coyotes. No two people are going to sound the same on any given call, which is one of the benefits of a mouth call over an electronic.

Try not to over call. When a coyote is coming in, stop calling. It's pretty easy for a coyote to pin point you if you keep blaring on a call while he's coming in. If he stops coming, work him a little with some very soft calling or lip squeaking or even a little bulb squeaker.

I try to set up with a cross wind or the wind in my face but have had coyotes come in from every direction, even straight down wind. One even had to run past my parked truck to get to me and came in so close from behind me that I almost hit him with the gun barrel.

Calling coyotes is a numbers game. The more stands you call the more coyotes you call. You can improve your odds on every stand by setting up well, using the wind and terrain to your advantage. Try to avoid setting up so the coyote is coming downhill to you. It can work but I've had much better luck the other way around, bringing the coyote uphill to me. And it doesn't have to be a steep uphill. Just enough to give you the visual advantage.

You can't always do it but try to plan and manage your shot. The terrain may offer you the opportunity to move into a shooting position as the coyote drops into a ditch or hollow on his way in. That's the time to bring the rifle up and be ready to shoot when he reappears. It doesn't always work out but the more stands you call the more familiar you'll become with looking for those opportunities.

If I call with a partner I like to sit side by side, against one another and about 90 degrees apart so we can cover the most ground with the least head movement. If one spots a coyote a slight nudge with an elbow alerts the other to an incomer. I prefer to pair up so one has a shotgun and the other a rifle.

Managing multiples can be challenging. I try to take the furthest reasonable shot first and then attempt the closer runners. Often you can stop a running coyote with a series of frantic coyote distress yikes. I haven't seen it but a buddy of mine had two stop and start tearing into their companion as it spun and yiked at the shot. He ended up killing both of them as they torn into the first coyote.

Watch your weather forecast. Calling will be good before a weather front and often times really great right after. I've had great luck calling when it's been really cold for several days.

Good luck. Go out and call. Don't worry about making mistakes. Those will make you a better caller and be some of your best stories.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Lot's of good advice for you.

For a new caller, I would suggest you take your chosen call (E or hand) and go to a large State Park near a Metro area, or somewhere you know coyotes are not getting called and shot at.

Practice there. Since you are not going to shoot them, you can pay attention to the details such as where, and why, they came from the direction they did, watch their body language as they approach, notice the wind direction, etc.

They are able to triangulate almost exactly where I'm sitting, with only a few seconds of sound, and they can do it from a very long ways off, so I do not move when I can see them, only moving when they are out of sight.

Remember this, you can fool their eyes, you can fool their ears, but you can never, never, fool 'The Nose'.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Learn to track coyotes drive the roads and look for the crossings. Figure out were they are laying and wait for the right wind. I have been exposed to some of the best coyote men in the world and called for 30 years and have had 2 coyotes COME in down wind for no reason.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a young coyote come in with the wind the other morning.

Bought myself a Primos Alpha Dogg caller a while back. It has what they call Expert Hunt calls and they work. The fawn distress so far has brought in some seriously upset mama does looking to save the poor fawn. They come in at high speed, ready to stomp a coyote. They run over to the caller, skid to a stop, and don't seem to know what to do! And then high speed back to cover. And shortly thereafter coyotes have shown up. I finally gave up using the mouth calls. Just never could get it right.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is nothing quite like having somebody else call in all yer critters.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
heck, as long as they come to the call, I personally don't care who or what's making the noise.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hardly ever use prey sounds anymore and when I do it's a bird - Seems my call success always is higher with vocalizations these days.

I sure love to attribute it to all the wanna be's blowing on a call or pushing "Lightning Jack"...

- Greg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
There is nothing quite like having somebody else call in all yer critters.....

grin whistle

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys keep the info coming I appreciate any and all help. Cheers NC A few more names of hand caller would be enjoyed!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lil Dog from Randy Anderson is one of my cheapo favorites -

- Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For a factory produced call I am a long time fan of the Sceery AP-6 bite call. After that I have gradually gravitated to customs from Kerry Carver. Kerry builds a beautiful call that is perfectly tuned. Seems like a hell of a good guy too, he has always treated me right. Matter of fact, the same can be said of Ed Sceery.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The best call is a large farm tractor pulling a fertilizer applicator in the stubble. The yotes will run along side the tractor waiting for the mice to run. All you have to do is open the door and start shooting. Or to make it interesting you open the door and let them recognize you as a danger and give them a head start running before you start shooting. nothing to see half dozen yotes a day for several weeks during the fall. The colder the weather the better it is for calling if you can stay warm.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Production calls, I've probably called more coyotes with a cheap Talley Ho call than any other but it's what I've used more than any other too.

Vocals can be deadly but knowing the coyotes and what the vocals are saying is most important. Distress still works and would be a safer bet for a newish caller.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to this website, but I want to come here more often. I thought I'd post my youtube channel for anyone who wanted to take a look at some of my predator hunting trips.

After a solid 2 years of hunting, we are starting to have a lot more success as we get to know the areas, the habits of coyotes, and increase our patience and practical application of skills. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpegzkjwL3QE5rtrsyJ6_mA

I don't claim to be the ultimate expert b/c I am certainly not. Keep in mind that these videos have also been edited for time sake. It's not accurate as to what call were made in what sequence.

I used a .22-250 currently and a Primos Alpha Dogg caller. Most of our kills shots however have been at 100 yards or less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.