-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
by the way, I can hit clay targets often at 100 yds with my freedom. Does that qualify me to be in the same room as you BFR? Difference with me is I don't call that 1/2" groups, I call it lucky lol

Last edited by gunchamp; 07/21/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to the op, no matter which one of these you choose, you'll be happy. Whats nice about a custom is you can have it anyway you want. Just look at the beautiful works of art that 257 and whit have. BFR's are very accurate but the grip sucks if that matters to you. Rugers are a great base gun for the build of your dreams and freedoms are the best production gun made. Let us know what you end up doing and post lots of picks!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the advice to a newbie, guys. Appreciate it.

I tend to fall in the 'pretty is as pretty does" camp. I used to be a lover of beautiful wood and blueing but have kind of turned the other way. If I had a gun (rifle or revolver) that was just 'too pretty' I fear I would never take it outside....especially for what they cost.

When I get around to buying one, I think my top concerns would be comfort, durability and accuracy (keeping in mind that I've got a long way to go to consider myself a great handgun shot).

In reality, I would probably be happy with a FA, custom Ruger, BFR, or equivalent. I just doubt I'll be able to shoot any before ordering one so I may have to do as much 'internet' research as possible. I figure I mig be able to fondle a FA somewhere but the others...probably not.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Every bit helps

Oh, and I probably will end up just going with the .45 Colt. Always been a .45 fan and there isn't anything that can't be done with it in a nice wheeler..

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I did not see any targets shot at 100 yards showing a 1/2" group, much less "hundreds" of targets.

let me look. I do not keep all targets. Marko shot first, can did not fall, I took the second shot. [Linked Image]Exit holes. [Linked Image]
Hole in the top is 5 shots with BFR revolver, others from a friends rifle. [Linked Image]

Did you find them?? "Hundreds" of 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a BFR is a hefty claim. Surely you have something to back it up?? I'd like to see a few pics of the revolver, too.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Thanks for all the advice to a newbie, guys. Appreciate it.

I tend to fall in the 'pretty is as pretty does" camp. I used to be a lover of beautiful wood and blueing but have kind of turned the other way. If I had a gun (rifle or revolver) that was just 'too pretty' I fear I would never take it outside....especially for what they cost.

When I get around to buying one, I think my top concerns would be comfort, durability and accuracy (keeping in mind that I've got a long way to go to consider myself a great handgun shot).

In reality, I would probably be happy with a FA, custom Ruger, BFR, or equivalent. I just doubt I'll be able to shoot any before ordering one so I may have to do as much 'internet' research as possible. I figure I mig be able to fondle a FA somewhere but the others...probably not.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Every bit helps

Oh, and I probably will end up just going with the .45 Colt. Always been a .45 fan and there isn't anything that can't be done with it in a nice wheeler..

Come on down to Lubbock and you're welcome to try whatever I have. I'll even supply the ammo!

But I'm very embarrassed that I don't have a BFR for you to sample......NOT!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have handled and shot both, and own a FA in 454, I dont possess the wheel gun knowledge to notice any differences between the two, I do however possess enough sense to know I have just handled two very fine revolvers.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
I have handled and shot both, and own a FA in 454, I dont possess the wheel gun knowledge to notice any differences between the two, I do however possess enough sense to know I have just handled two very fine revolvers.

Hey, you are an expert on these guns.

Don't they make a lot of noise and kick pretty hard... laugh

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're not sure and are sticking with the 45 colt, get one of the bisley 45 convertables and put a couple thousand rounds through it.

[Linked Image]

When you've found what you do and don't like about the gun, have someone like Jack Huntington address those issues. If you just don't like the gun, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you have in it, at most you'd take a $100 hit.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you're not sure and are sticking with the 45 colt, get one of the bisley 45 convertables and put a couple thousand rounds through it.

When you've found what you do and don't like about the gun, have someone like Jack Huntington address those issues. If you just don't like the gun, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you have in it, at most you'd take a $100 hit.

I have a couple of Redhawk conversions, but like the stock Bisley 45 Colt stainless steel 5 1/2" model with spare .45 ACP cylinder. Any improvements by a top of the line gunsmith will only make a good gun better. I personally would convert a .44 Magnum or smaller Ruger Bisley Stainless into a custom minimum spec cylinder model in .45 Colt.

Last edited by Carson; 07/22/14.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]

Excellent taste in single malt as well, sir!

smile

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

[Linked Image]

Best Advice in the whole thread... doesn't have to be the convertible (with the 45 acp cylinder) though, just the 45 Colt version will do and will run you less money. Unless of course you also have a 45 acp pistol!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That is good advice.

Another custom builder is Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision. I bought a used Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt that he built. I also had him line bore a three screw SBH, opening it from .44 mag to .45 Colt. It has a Shilen barrel, Jim's custom front sight, full length steel ejector housing and is really accurate. I did a trigger stop and tuned the trigger.

You can tell I like the .45 Colt round. Not much you can't do with one of those, the right loads in a strong gun crafted to suit the situation.

25 yd. target off the bench, 255 gr. Keith type SWC. 4227 is a great .45 Colt powder.

DF
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now for something different, try the 270 gr. Thunderhead from Penn bullets. Check out that meplat...

That's one hog whacker...

It's not named Thunderhead for nothing...

Not quite as accurate as a SWC, but pretty good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Best Advice in the whole thread... doesn't have to be the convertible (with the 45 acp cylinder) though, just the 45 Colt version will do and will run you less money. Unless of course you also have a 45 acp pistol!

Jerry

I didn't realize the 5 1/2" ss Bisley is again available as a distributor exclusive. That said, the 45 acp cylinder can easily be reamed to a minimum spec 45 colt cylinder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still see them on gun broker most all the time, so the supply is not dry... Yet. AND... if you decide later you want the acp cylinder it will cost you more to pick up a cylinder than just buying the gun with one.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 07/23/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There is always a couple of dealers selling them over on the Ruger Forum and pretty fair prices.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by EdM
There is always a couple of dealers selling them over on the Ruger Forum and pretty fair prices.

I bought mine from a dealer on that forum, he has one for sale now for $575 shipped.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hey, you are an expert on these guns.

Don't they make a lot of noise and kick pretty hard... laugh

DF

LOL, my 500 loaded full bore was the very definition of 'too much of a good thing' grin

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.