Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
For those who don't get to do a backpack hunt every year, either because of financial, vacation time or tag limitations, would you be willing to rent the gear needed?

I look at my own closet and see so much gear, used so little. What about everyone else? Between all the clothes and gear and - would you rent if you could? And if so, what items would you prefer to rent instead of own?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sticking with something I was told a few years ago by a good friend.... "If it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it".

Other than that.... Nahh.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A tent for sure, not sure if want someone else's sleeping bag and ones own pack is a necessity for training for the hunt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm with Woodhits, I wouldn't rent "personal" gear ever. I'd rent a tent maybe. I like to use the stuff I'm going to use during a hunt before the season if at all possible, just to make sure it works for me and won't let me down on a hunt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nope. There is an awful lot of really good affordable gear out there. I don't want to have to worry about gear while hunting.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Of course. Why not? Hunting is not about the stuff in your closet.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't really imagine what gear I'd rent even if I could. Seems the most expensive "quality" gear would be the attraction to save money.
Sleeping bag- $500 bag? There's a rent option that could save a bundle. But as mentioned, who REALLY wants to sleep in a bag used by who knows who? Whos been gassy in there? Who peed in there? Slobbered and drooled in their sleep? Slept with sweat and filthy feet? I know, probably no worse than a rented hotel room but no thanks, I'll use my own bag even if I have to have a cheapo.

Pack- Again, renting could save a $500-$600 purchase. But then, a pack really needs to be fitted to you. You need to train with YOUR pack. Pack it and unpack it. Seems to me it takes me a number of trips just to consistently load it in a manner so I'll know where to even look for things without having to unload the whole thing looking for the toilet paper. And what of the former renter who left an open can of potted meat in there for a week? Again, if you're going to do this stuff, you're gonna need a good pack. May as well buy one.

Tent- I guess this would make the most sense for renting. What could possibly go wrong? Other than the mucked up zipper the last renter got stuck during a midnight pee emergency... which required him to pee in the tent splattering the walls. Of course you discover the screwy zipper during your own midnight pee emergency requiring you to pee inside the tent too and so it goes. There are some good deals on quality tents these days, especially used. Also bad to take a tent into bear country that the last occupant grilled his steak and shrimp in.

Boots- Forget that.

Rifle- ditto.

Like I said, I just really dont know what it is I'd rent if that were even an option.

Last edited by snubbie; 07/20/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Snubbie, pretty much nails what I was thinking.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
One item no one has brought up... clothing.

Example: If KUIU or Sitka offered a 'Mountain Hunters Package' where I could pick and choose a base layer, insulating layer, outer layer, rain coat, and some accessories.... send them all in my size, let me try on, wear for duration of hunt and send back for them to clean up for the next guy, I would absolutely rent the clothing package. Clothes don't have to be "broken in" like boots. And I buy enough used gear that I wouldn't care if someone else wore it.

It doesn't make a lick of business acumen for any major clothing company to do such a thing. Make people buy what they want to try. But if someone had the money to buy each years new line, in all the sizes, and rent it out - I'd probably take a look if the price is right.

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I have been buying gear for fifty years and I have two or three of everything. I have a dozen or more tents and stoves and packs, so many that it's hard to keep track of them all. But I'm retired and hiking, camping, climbing, hunting and backpacking are my primary forms of recreation.

I suppose that someone who never camps might rent gear for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. But considering all the pitfalls associated with rented gear, it sounds pretty risky to me.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'm sticking with something I was told a few years ago by a good friend.... "If it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it".

Other than that.... Nahh.

Tanner

Tanner nailed it!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The best reason I can think of to rent is to try out items before you drop hundreds on something that you're not sure of.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've considered renting optics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brymoore
I've considered renting optics.

Now THAT may make sense.
Especially for us Easterners who come out west once a year to hunt. Kinda hard to drop big money on a spotter when it won't be used but a few days a year.

You could likely check it out before your hunt to be sure it's in good working order and I can't think of any cooties you could catch from optics.

Come to think of it, I rented a satellite phone two years ago for a solo backpack hunt where there was no cell reception. May again this year depending on where I end up going.

Last edited by snubbie; 07/25/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
snubbie you don't shoot at the range much? I use my spotter all the time rifle and archery.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
snubbie you don't shoot at the range much? I use my spotter all the time rifle and archery.

Yes, I shoot at the range. I do have a cheapo spotter I occasionally use, though I wouldn't tote it out west. It works for spotting a target but that's about it.
But our longest distance is 200 yards and I can usually see what's going on through my scope. For mulie hunting, binoculars have been sufficient for me thus far. I pretty much hunt on the move and glass with binoculars.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting mulies and elk for over 50 years and have yet to find enough use for a spotter to justify the weight. A good pair of full sized roof prism binocs is plenty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.