Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
bea, why is the bolt on the wrong side!!! I'll bet it would shoot better if the bolt were on the correct side...

I have more Left Hand Rifles than any Sporting Good Store

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My old hunting pal was a lefty also.. He had some beautiful left handed rifles... But he also had some right handed rifles with custom left handed stocks, and some were just right handed.. But he started buying in those long ago days when rifles only came in right hand versions.. Nice guns buy the way...

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used right hand rifles but never really liked them . I would carry a lever any day over a right hand bolt gun

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Is there any real world difference between these 2 cartridges hunting anything from whitetail to elk?? Buying a Ruger M77 and trying to decide what I want it chambered in.I don't handload but will in the very near future.In the mean time I have a buddy that has been loading for me.
Thanks!!

All ya need in TN is a Barrett M468 .270 Short w 12.5- in. Bbl for Whitetail.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Wait, is this not the anyone using ARs for Hunting thread? This one swore an affidavit it was killed w .270 Roy...Cannon County 2005.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

And this is what it does.

[Linked Image]

How far are you shooting? I'm more impressed with this $320 Ruger American in 7mm-08 at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And this is what it does.

[Linked Image]

2800fps is a speed I quite happily settle for in my 270 Win with the 160g Partition, so what your load is delivering is much to be admired.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bobnob17
The 270 Win shoots bullets of similar weights about 175fps faster than the 7-08 at the same pressures, barrel length etc etc. I am using a 140g bullet as a common baseline to make that generalisation.

If that is worth the bit of extra action length, weight, powder burned etc then that's good for you.

Either would work for me.

Cut that number in half and you're probably a lot closer to reality, but whatever. Both work out to a long way.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there any real world difference between these 2 cartridges hunting anything from whitetail to elk??

No

We have killed plenty of antelope, deer and elk with 270's. My good friend and his family has used 7mm-08's on plenty of the same.

Now back to fairy dust on pin heads, and splitting fine frog hairs.

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Pharmseller,that group was shot at 100 yds.

Bobnob17,that load actually duplicates a .280 Rem 160 gr NP,H-4831 load in the Nosler #7 reloading manual.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CRS
Is there any real world difference between these 2 cartridges hunting anything from whitetail to elk??

No

There's the answer right there^^^

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cartridge debates are fun. Usually strategies involve identifying a nuance and impute superiority from it. It ain't logical; but then again, cartridge debates are emotional. There's no need for logic in emotional debates.

The reality is there really ain't enough difference between nearly all practical hunting cartridges within reasonable hunting ranges to cause one to lose a minute's sleep.

If a hunter believes only a mega magnum will kill big game, I'm good. After all, this sport is about having fun within Mother Nature's majesty. But the reality is any suitable bullet from and suitable cartridge that stops flow of oxygenated blood to the brain is going to kill an animal. Therefore, a bullet from either a .270 Win or 7MM-08 Rem that destroys an elk's heart and/or lungs is going to kill it. All the hunter has to do it put a bullet where it needs to be. Nothing living defies biology.

I hate to tell the mega magnum fans here this: a 300 Rem Ultra Mag ain't gonna kill any elk any deader than were it killed by a .308 Win provided bullets from either stop oxygenated blood flow.

I don' have a .280 Rem because when I got in the gun buying business I was too damned smart to realize just how good the .280 Rem is. So I bought me what was then the definitive long range elk rifle: a 7MM Rem Mag. Funny how the passage of time has regulated what was once the definitive long range elk rifle to nothing more than a rifle suitable for smallish coyotes and similar pests.

Hell, you read stuff of rifle experts and they'll tell ya straight up what you'll need as minimum to kill an elk, and most .300 magnums don't qualify.

Were I accorded a hunting do-over, I'd buy a .280 Rem and never need another rifle. There ain't nothing on this continent that that it won't kill; however, were I routinely going after mean Alaskan bears, I'd probably want something along the lines of a Marlin .45/70 that's shootin' 400 grain bullets at 2000 FPS, or an 870 with slugs. But the fact is a whole lot of big grizzlies died after being plugged with 7x57's, .303 British rifles, and '06's. So a 175 Partition out of a .280 Rem ought to break both shoulders of the largest bear considering the fact that its penetrative ability is legendary as evidenced by Bell's culling nearly a thousand elephants with a 7x57 using 175 grainers.

I like my 7MM Rem Mag, but in honesty, it ain't better than a properly loaded .280 Rem. And were we to disregard 175 grain .284 bullets, there ain't spittin' difference between the .280 Rem & .270 Win. We could extrapolate this ad infinitum.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It is a hilarious constant,that is always them who "do" and "know" the least,who are the ONLY ones to start "thinking" that everything is the "same".

Boolits matter more than headstamps and should it coddle your SD Fantasies,Bell flung FMJ's...mainly because that's what the [bleep] he had to work with,at that time and place. That being a function of availability who's byproduct was projectile integrity,rather than a mathematical extrapolation of moot designators. Hint. Necessity being the Mother of Invention. Re-Hint.

Starting velocity is but one facet of the Terminal Equation,arrival speed and projectile integrity,being far more KEY in such determinations.

As per always...boolits matter more than headstamps. Hint.

The Terminal Triology is thusly and unwavering in it's constants.

1) Placement
2) Projectile selection
3) Headstamp

Folks who "know" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be better served in asking questions,rather in giving "answers". Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Yesssssssss...you've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Laffin'!

(Addendum: For more Window Lickers)

The only "designator" more [bleep] stupid than SD,is [bleep] "energy"...though it certainly horns Window Lickers up.

Laffin'!

The Paper Hat Brigade is on [bleep] FIRE!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't have info for LRAB,but gonna use the Nosler Ballistic Tip from their reloading manual #7 instead.

.277" .270 130 gr .433 BC at (rounding down to 3100 fps) 200 yd zero.

At 300 yds it's 6.2" low and 2472 fps.

At 400 yds it's 18.2" low and 2281 fps.

.284" 7-08 140 gr .485 BC at (again rounding down to 2900 fps) 200 yd zero.

At 300 yds it's 6.8" low and 2356 fps.

At 400 yds it's 20.4" low and 2190 fps.

Energy?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
The BC on 7mm projectiles give the 7-08 the edge after 350 yards or so.

BC is better on many .277 caliber bullets of the same weight as a 7mm when it comes to hunting bullets. Like the 140 grain AB BC is .496 in .277 and a BC of .485 in .284 caliber. This difference in BC is splitting of a pretty fine frogs hair of course. Most of the time this is avoided by not offering the same weights in these two calibers or shifting the position of the Ogive to affect BC. That doesn't change the fact that there are more than enough .277 bullets out there for hunting that have a higher BC than the .284 counterpart.

So the theory that the ballistis edge goes to the 7-08 just because it is a 7mm for hunting doesn't really hold water. If a person chooses bullets properly no edge is lost to a 7mm-08 when shooting a .270 Win for hunting situations. Now when it comes to match and target bullets there is no question as to which one offers the best BC's.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boxer,

Do you really think that a .300 Rem Ultra Mag through an elk's heart is going to kill it deader than a .308 Win through an elk's heart? Is that what you want me to believe? That a .300 Rem Ultra Mag has mystical powers than kills deader than dead?

If you know how animals die, you'd recognize that your "Terminal Trilogy" is thusly nuance designed to disguise lack of merit as appearing intellectual. There is a terminal singularity: put a suitable bullet where it will stop oxygenated blood flow and animals will die. That, my friend, is 100% scientific fact.

Remember that gun and hunting magazines are entertainment. They are not professional journals.

It seems as though you've spent far too much time buying in to a factless theory and now you're willing to throw down in order to defend your posture.

Let me write this again: put a suitable bullet from any suitable cartridge in a big game animal's heart and or lungs, and it will die. Caliber & cartridge, within reason, is immaterial. Stopping oxygenated blood flow is material. You do understand this singular concept, don't you? Or do you need a trilogy to kill animals?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boxer,

Let me ask you a very simple question: will a .30-30 Win with a suitable bullet (Nosler 170 grain) at reasonable range (150 yards for this cartridge) kill an elk if the bullet stops oxygenated blood flow? I'm just curious if your terminal trilogy thing that you have goin' on prevents some elk from dyin' after their hearts stop pumping oxygenated blood.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Don't have info for LRAB,but gonna use the Nosler Ballistic Tip from their reloading manual #7 instead.

Energy?
This may sound harsh,but,I don't care about energy figures. All it boils down to is shot placement and bullet performance.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by philthygeezer

Energy?
This may sound harsh,but,I don't care about energy figures. All it boils down to is shot placement and bullet performance.

We may have had past disagreements, but I will tell you that I couldn't agree with you more right here.

BTW, while I will look at ballistic tables only for trajectories, were I concerned about killing power, Taylor KO Index is the only one I'd use.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not gonna like this,don't care much for Taylor's KO Index either. Taylor came up KO Index for solids and elephants. For instance a .600 NE with a 900 gr was supposed to "knock out" an elephant for an half hour if the bullet missed the brain. Yeah right! He never meant it to be used for soft-points. wink

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/20/14. Reason: Too many "either's"

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219DW, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.