Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm going elk hunting this fall. I don't get the opportunity to hunt elk every year. I'm considering a pair of 8x30 binoculars for the trip. I handled a pair of Swaro CL 8x30s and some Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s while on a work trip in Utah last week. The Swaro 8x32 ELs are out of my price range, but they were very nice also.

For some context, I also hunt whitetail in the midwest, mule deer out west, pronghorn, maybe some moose in a couple of years in Newfoundland if I remain stationed here in D.C.

I have a pair of older (pre ATB 3) Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42s that will make the trip if I do nothing.

So here's the question--should I consider an upgrade before the trip? I liked how the CLs fit, size, weight, clarity. I assume they are much, much better than my old Monarchs. Can I tell the difference between a good elk and a great elk with the CLs?

BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I can tell you that if someone gave m an ATB Nikon, I'd try to sell it or junk it. They are a long way from what I find useful, particularly the 10X42 version.
On the other hand, I carry and use my 8X32 NikonLX more than any other binocular when hunting in open country where I have to walk and climb alot.
For $1000 or even less, there are lots of much sharper binoculars out there. The older Pentax SP models are better at half that cost. Their ED's are right there at the top of the heap as far as I can see.
I'd suggest you test some 8X32's. And when you do, try them from typical hand held positions and at the distances you will use them in the field.
As far as telling a good elk from a great elk, a good 8X32 will work fine. But if you need to decide between two great elk or betwwen a barely legal or not quite legal elk, you'll need a quality spotting scope if they are 2-4 miles out. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Archery or rifle? for archery look for a 8x30 slc should find a like new one for around 800 or rifle id look for more magnification like 10x42 slc or el used for around 1200 the cl are not as good of glass and niether are the conquests swarovski has a lifetime warranty so used is like new. Any issues send them in and get back a like new pair or new pair.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joel,

You won't tell the difference betwixed a good and/or great elk with the CL's vs. what you've got.

In all likelihood the difference is going to be eye strain � if you glass a lot. That said, the the CL's because of the particularly small FOV wouldn't be my choice anyway. The Zeiss Conquest HD's you mentioned will give you considerably more FOV and a bit more eye relief.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a like new Zeiss Conquest 8x32 here on the 'Fire a couple of years ago, and I much prefer it to my wife's 8x30 Swaro (but the latter is a 20-year old binocular). I traded for a Leica 7x35 about the same time (and somehow my stepson ended up with it) but I found it a better glass for open country, despite being a 7X as opposed to the 8Xs.

However, my primary glass is still my old 10x42 Swaro. One of these days I will upgrade to an EL...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I'm going elk hunting this fall. I don't get the opportunity to hunt elk every year. I'm considering a pair of 8x30 binoculars for the trip. I handled a pair of Swaro CL 8x30s and some Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s while on a work trip in Utah last week. The Swaro 8x32 ELs are out of my price range, but they were very nice also.

For some context, I also hunt whitetail in the midwest, mule deer out west, pronghorn, maybe some moose in a couple of years in Newfoundland if I remain stationed here in D.C.

I have a pair of older (pre ATB 3) Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42s that will make the trip if I do nothing.

So here's the question--should I consider an upgrade before the trip? I liked how the CLs fit, size, weight, clarity. I assume they are much, much better than my old Monarchs. Can I tell the difference between a good elk and a great elk with the CLs?

I used the Swaro 8-30 CL's on a recent Red Stag and Tahr hunt on the South Island in NZ. Lots of large vistas and I never felt underglassed. They are light and bright and that's what I wanted.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I usually find the search function beneficial to me, but didn't type in the right word search, "hunting binoculars" until this evening.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/hunting_subpage.htm

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Joel:
Your link has no connection to the question about 8x30
binoculars.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

Joel:
Your link has no connection to the question about 8x30
binoculars.

I'm questioning my choice of 8x30 based on the western, mostly open terrain, hunt. The linked article talks about a larger exit pupil revealing greater resolution, not just brightness. I knew of the brightness increase, but hadn't thought of the resolution increase. However, several of the mentioned binos at the end of the article are rated highly, but are 8x32 binos. Seems like a top-tier 8x32 is a good choice, though possibly not as good a choice for extended viewing.

Are the 8x30 CL Swaros or 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HDs top tier glass? I donno. If the question were ELs or Victory binos, I would judge the answer to be "yes", but I don't know about the mid class binos.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
joel, take this FWIW, but I do hunt open country 95% of the time. I am a died in the wool 10x42 user (currently the Meopta HD), and love them for my purposes. When I wish to sit and glass for extended periods of time, which I do quite often, I use a tripod. Amazing the difference it makes. That being said, I've also been using a Cabelas Euro 8x32HD for a couple of years or so, and they do offer some advantages as well. The depth of field is amazing, far superior to the 10x42. They are obviously lighter and more compact. In challenging light (dusk, dawn, haze, fog, etc) the advantages of the 10x42 is there, but in reality you really won't miss much, if any, by using the 8x32 instead.

I'm sure I will continue to use the 10x's, but the more I use the 8x32HD, the more impressive it is. I was not wowed by the CL's, but I did really like the 8x32 and 10x42 Conquest HD's, but for some reason the eyepieces did not fit me well and I struggled with blackouts.

I have also determined that my 53 yr old eyes do not need $2000+ glass to be successful. Good luck with your search, and have some fun with it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with JGRaider. I am a 10x40-42 guy when it comes to a general purpose bin for out west. That said I always bring my 8x30 Swaro along as a "spare" and have used them quite a bit.They will do well on an elk hunt,although I like the 10's better.

The differences between a "good" elk and a "great" elk will jump out at you no matter what you use. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember Jack O�Conner said something like, �Big looks big.�

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
Remember Jack O�Conner said something like, �Big looks big.�

Never forgot it....he was right smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Doug's additional 10% off post pushed me over the edge.

I placed an order with cameralandny for some demo Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42s. Then I called Zeiss (got the number from Neil at CL) and they're sending out some replacement eyecups for the Conquests. The only bad thing I've read about the Conquest HDs were the eyecups were a touch too short, and if you don't wear glasses (I don't), you might get some black spots from improper eye relief. I'm hoping these redesigned eyecups make the eye relief perfect.

And if I don't like them, I can always return them after spending some quality time looking for birds in the woods.

And cameralandny even applied the "Doug's away" discount for a birthday present for my wife, a Nikon DSLR camera body.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I handled a pair of Swaro CL 8x30s and some Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s while on a work trip in Utah last week.
My eyes love my conquest 8x32 HD. If I am remembering correctly they were about $800. If you watch the classifieds or ebay you can find some used Swaro for about that price range.

When walking and climbing I like small light weight equipment. I don't think your giving up much comparing a more steady 8x30 to a more jittery 10x42 except a little brightness at dusk and dawn.

But usually when hunting in the mountains I'm hunting back towards camp at dusk, not usually setting somewhere waiting for it to get dark as in a whitetail blind.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Joel, Oooops! I see you've already jumped on something, but if you hadn't I was going to suggest that you seriously consider a pair of good used Swarovski 8x30 SLC binos. They will massively out-perform your Nikon ATB's and many other brands and models costing more.

My wife bought a pair for birding about three years ago and I liked them so much better than my older Swaro CL's, my Leupy Gold Rings, or the Nikons, Vortex's, Bushnells, and others I'd looked at that I bought a pair for myself.

They perform way above their magnification and objective lens size when compared to many other supposedly good to premium glass.

Last edited by Skeezix; 07/30/14.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt mostly open country of the west, so factor that in to my comments. I spend a lot of time obsessing of the perfect rifle, load combination when in fact a quality bino trumps the rifle issue. It's importance in the kind of spot and stalk hunting I do can't be over stated. I'm currently using an older 10x40 Zeiss glass and they seem fine to me. I have way more hunts behind me than ahead of me otherwise I might upgrade to a high quality image stabilizing pair.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.