Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Husky 4100 30-06. I am attempting to measure for OAL with Sierra 165gr boat-tails.

With the bolt in, I marked a cleaning rod inserted into the barrel. Next, I installed a dummy round with the bullet seated out farther than normal in the chamber and held it in place while remarking the rod.

Measurement ~3.125

This is way short! The load manual calls for ~3.300 If I seat at that depth I have a hard bolt push. With the 3.125 the bolt moves smooth, as it should.

With the bullet seated at 3.125 it is so deep it that the case mouth is on the ogive.

What am I missing here? Can the chamber really be that short?

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have you cleaned the chamber and bore? Could be something stuck in there. Is this a new (to you) rifle? Have you tried a factory round? Are you sure the bore is .308 and not something smaller? Are you sure your bullets are 308 and not something bigger? Might be time for a chamber cast.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you taking into account that the tip of the bullet in your dummy round is going into the hole in the end of the cleaning rod?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for the heck of it try a different method of measuring COAL.

Run a fired case into the sizing die just enough to resize about 1/8" of the case neck. Seat a bullet long by hand, chamber the dummy round, close the bolt, remove and measure. Repeat to verify.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I will look at both things.

I'll have some time tomorrow to play around.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Are you taking into account that the tip of the bullet in your dummy round is going into the hole in the end of the cleaning rod?

Good point. I have taken a screw that is the correct thread for the end of the cleaning rod and ground the head flat. Also make sure the firing pin does not protrude from the bolt face when you are getting that measurement. That should give you a true MAX COL.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fish head
Just for the heck of it try a different method of measuring COAL.

Run a fired case into the sizing die just enough to resize about 1/8" of the case neck. Seat a bullet long by hand, chamber the dummy round, close the bolt, remove and measure. Repeat to verify.

Nothing like simplicity. I also soot the bullet so I can see if the lands grab the bullet and pull it out a bit upon extraction. This does happen, but if you soot the bullet, you can see exactly how far the bullet was pushed in by the lands, even if it does get pulled out a bit. Works every time and is a pretty damn accurate and easy way to find max OAL (aka lands)...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

Another thing I've done to get an understanding of the bullet/lands relationship is make a dummy cartridge with a fully sized neck, seat a bullet to max OAL, black it with a sharpie, chamber it, look at rifling marks, then decrease the OAL in .005" increments, and check the rifling marks at each stage.

It gives you an understanding of jamming the bullet, just a kiss/partial contact, and no contact.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That is the method that I use and it works every time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I tried all the above. Only the Sinclair tool gave me repeatable (within 1-2 thousandths), and only then after recognizing some cases needed more force to chamber.

This was a finicky property to measure for me and the Sinclair tool was what I needed.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a variation of fish head's method. I FL size the brass, then cut and deburr two slots at 180 degrees to each other, the length of the neck, with a Dremel tool. With a little fiddling, that gives the right tension to hold the bullet just enough to get the OAL to the lands. As mentioned, I repeat it a couple of times to make sure I'm getting consistent results.

It's a very good method.

Be not weary in well doing.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use denton's method.

Kelly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for denton's method. Just have to remember to re-do the whole COAL measurement whenever I try a different bullet

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Hornady Lock & Load overall length gauge thingy works for me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use yet another variation--crushing the neck of a case fired in the rifle very slightly, either with pliers or a vise, just enough to hold the bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's all I do. Seat the bullet long and jam it home, pull it out and measure. Sometimes a bullet gets caught in the lands, sometimes not.

What I don't want is MORE stuff around, I have enough stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Split case for the initial measurement then set the seater a few thousands long. Chamber the dummy to see land engagement (sharpie), adjust as the load tells you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...and use a comparator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the comparator. It's just a lot more repeatable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.