Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Cool story! Is that a yellow rifle?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes sir.

50/50 yellow and black. I stole the pattern from Steelhead.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Most fun - two weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Hayward?

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes sir.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Does it ever get windy out there?

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

[Linked Image]

Travis

Love this pic! Especially the little Blondie girl doing the thumbs up. That is phuggin awesome

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks Rooster. One of my all time favorite pics.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read the thread title wrong. I thought it was Funniest deer.

Here's two of my funniest. To me, they're all fun.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KMS; 08/05/14.

Kelly
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Matching color muzzle tape! Very important and must have taken some research finding it. Nice!

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 08/06/14.

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The funnest deer I've shot was without a doubt the doe I shot last fall. My son was with me and was VERY excited!

There are a few second place deer, but they're distant.

Camp is where you make it.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the funnest deer for me was a doe that I didn't even shoot. It was shot by a kid sitting on my knee. His first deer.

I was at a friend's ranch and the kid really wanted to shoot a deer. I happened to have an extra rifle with me in .243. The kid had never even shot a rifle before, so the ranch owner says if he can hit a target at 100yds three times, "you take him out and you make the call."

That kid hit the bullseye three outa three.

I sat in a blind with him and soon, about five does showed up 200yds out. He got so excited and wanted to have a crack at one. I made him wait till they were about 80yds away and told him where to aim.

He placed the shot perfectly. Doe went strait down. I'll never forget how excited and proud he was. Best feeling ever.

Kelly
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Probobly a doe I shot in ky. It was the early black powder season several years back, I had been out for a few hours and my dad came to meet me so we could do a mini drive. He met me at the top of this big ridge over looking some pasture and we were talking and he pointed across the field there were three does feeding out I ranged em at 250yards. No way I was able to make that shot from there and the only way to get in range was drop off the back of the ridge and come up behind em. Dad stayed up there watching as I made my way down and when I got in the edge of the field I started crawling threw tall grass and briers! I made my way slowly up over the rise and saw two of them. I looked threw my range finder and it said 132 yards. I raised the rem 700ML and fired at the closest one. It rolled down to the bottom of the hill jumped up and ran back up to the top and fell dead. That was the hardest I've ever had to try to get a shot off which made it special.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by 264wm; 08/24/14.
It would have to be my boys first deer. The funny part is I can't remember mine own.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That would be this one with my middle son. The first down from what would become my three boys with this one coming with a hog just hours later. He used his Ruger RSI 243 and the 95 gr Partition over IMR 4350 that he owns and shoots today 16 years later. This outside of Camp Wood on a now deceased friend's ranch.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of really fun hunts.

A few years ago I was asked to guide the wife of a hunter we had at the ranch I hunt. She is a little thing, barely topping 5 feet tall and about 85 pounds dripping wet.
We started out looking for an Axis buck and put the stalk on some but they slipped into a different pasture. We set up on them 4 different times and each time they turned away from us and headed away. The last one she would have been taking a shot at about 200 yards when they slipped through the fence into another pasture that another hunter was in.
I remembered that I had seen a herd of Red Sheep come out on a powerline right of way about 10 AM the week before and thought we might glass the area from a distance.
Almost like clock-work at 10:10 I look up and there they are - 5 ewes, 2 young rams and the big boy - a 30" near-full curl ram.
We first moved into the trees and brush to get out of their sight even though we were some 800 yards away. We crossed one fence on our property to the pasture they were in and worked our way up. It took us nearly an hour to catch up to them by looping around and keeping them in sight and finally get into position. I finally got her sitting down with a small tree for a rest about 30 yards from the right of way. Just as she got set a ewe walked into the 6' wide shooting lane she had about 40 yards out. The ram followed and finally gave her a shot. She hit the ram behind the front leg and he took off.
She was worried that we might not find the ram and since I couldn't see the shot from where I was sitting, I had her talk me to where the ram was standing when she shot. I found the tracks and called her up to me and we started to trail it. About 20 yards down we found the first blood sign - a strip of blood about 2' long. I told her the ram was down and it was just a matter of following the trail. We tracked onward and about 50 yards later found the ram down and done for. I pointed it out to her and she squealed like a little girl getting a pony and the next thing I knew I had this 85 pound Mom wrapped around me squealing in my ear. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The second hunt that was a blast was one of the last one's I went on with my Dad. We hunted a ranch in Llano County - the pink granite country of the Texas Hill Country. We sat up on a hill we called 'The Mountain' and mainly just talked about things. About 8:00 a cull-spike came out about 300 yards out. My 85 year old Dad took a rest and pulled off a head-shot. DRT.

We didn't really want to go back to camp just yet so we just sat there and kept talking. About 30 minutes later, out comes another cull-spike about 10 yards from the first one. I told Dad 'betcha can't do that head-shot again!'. yep, nailed it.

Somewhere in a box I have a picture of him with those two spikes. Great time and a great memory with my Dad. A year later he passed away.

Thanks for teaching me the love of hunting and the outdoors Dad!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R man -

1 of my most fun hunts involves my youngest son, of course. Long story short. We had taken 5 gallon buckets of acorns from our yard and poured them out in an area no one was hunting on our lease.

The deer immediately began feeding on them faster than we could bring them down. I showed Jeff how to slip into the area and where to sit on the ground. No one had ever had hunted that spot AFAIK.

About 8 AM I heard him shoot his MZLDR. No worriers, there was a dim road I could drive and pick up the deer.

WELL the exuberance of youth kicked in and he would walk ahead and put his gun against a tree and go back and DRAG this 6 pt. to where his gun was. He repeated this many Xs till he got to the intersection of the dim road and a well used TAR.

He was exasperated when I told him I could have driven w/in 45 yds of where the deer was. LOL

Also the next time we went down, he showed me the spot where the buck was. I noticed a skint <G> spot on a tree right there. I looked close and found the mushroomed bullet. A neat trophy AFAIC (as far as I'm concerned).

All of my most FUN hunts are while 'stalking' in regrowth cutovers. You NEVER know where/when a deer will jump up or take off. You are on edge in anticipation of the appearance of then judging immediately if you want to shoot or not.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my son was a young lad he came to me one day and asked: "why do you keep that small buck rack tacked inside the garage wall?"

I told him it was because of a weird and funny experience with the deer.

During a Wisconsin deer drive I dropped standers off along a country road and parked my truck and moved east of the road with the rest of the standers until we got to the edge of a marsh.

Soon, deer pushed by the drivers began emerging from the woods and cross the open marsh towards us. A small buck and two does came within range like a prison break. I put the Savage 99 Lyman 57 sight on his shoulder and his front end dropped and he bulldozed a few feet and got up and ran into the small strip of woods along the road. A few seconds later I heard a crash, but did not sound like brush.

When the drivers emerged from the woods I followed up the blood trail of about 40-50 paces. The goofy deer was in the bed of my old 1947 Ford, expired. I had parked my truck close to a high, brushy sand bank which the deer sailed off of.

I began picking up drivers, standers and deer and they thought I had loaded the buck and made up a story. I showed them blood and deer hair on top of a side rack, plus horn or hoof skid marks on the truck bed hoping to back up my story.

My son eventually used the rack for a woodworking project in Boy Scouts.

[Linked Image]

Buck catcher/hauler
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by SKane
Most fun - two weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Skane,
Nice bucks in your neighborhood. One of the guys I work with lives in a lake side development in a similar situation has deer coming around his home.

He said they can't resist corn tortillas, they will come to them with their mouths drooling and take it from his hand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
roundoak -

Neat and funny story. I don't doubt it.

Scared or wounded deer do some dumb/funny STUFF.

Have a goodun!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It is cool how many of these stories involve our sons and daughters.

Mine is my son's last deer before he went off to college, and we knew it would be a long time before he would get the chance to hunt again.

We were hunting a deep canyon with the rising sun at our back; it made every deer super visible. We spotted this one maybe 1500 yards downslope and made a quick sneak. He made a one-shot DRT kill with my .257 WBY from about 325 yards.

[Linked Image]

He seriously violated the family policy about shooting deer below the road. If you blow this picture up you might be able to see the white Chevy pickup in the saddle--that is where we started ( and had to get back to.) The photo was taken from where the buck laid.
[Linked Image]

My son is now 25, working on a cure for Parkinson's disease for his Ph.D. research at some fancy school back east. As we, predicted, he has not had the chance to do any big game hunting since this hunt. But he was out visiting just the week before last, and he remembers it like it was yesterday.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.