Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Not gonna like this,don't care much for Taylor's KO Index either. Taylor came up KO Index for solids and elephants. For instance a .600 NE with a 900 gr was supposed to "knock out" an elephant for an half hour if the bullet missed the brain. Yeah right! He never meant it to be used for soft-points. wink

Nope, I'm good with that as well. They only reason for the index is for comparing loads. For instance, there ain't a whole lot separating a 160 .284 Partition from a 175 grain Partition. The index facilitates comparing loads when hand loading.

The only real index that works is dead big game.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,I always did this,match the bullet to the game. Hunting deer,antelope,sheep,caribou etc.. a Sierra Game King/Pro Hunter,Hornady Interlock,Speer Hot core/Mag Tip,Nosler Ballistic Tip will do. For elk,moose,big bears etc.. Nosler Partitions,Swift A-Frames,Barnes X-Bullet will work. Although either group of animals can be killed with the the cup and core or premium bullets.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yup,I always did this,match the bullet to the game. Hunting deer,antelope,sheep,caribou etc.. a Sierra Game King/Pro Hunter,Hornady Interlock,Speer Hot core/Mag Tip,Nosler Ballistic Tip will do. For elk,moose,big bears etc.. Nosler Partitions,Swift A-Frames,Barnes X-Bullet will work. Although either group of animals can be killed with the the cup and core or premium bullets.

When I first got in to hunting, the Core-Lokt was the gold standard.

I use Nosler only because I've always used Nosler with the exception of some .270 GameKings, which kill mule deer instantly.

My dad like Hornady.

I agree, any suitable bullet will work. And suitable bullet is personal preference. Some like Nosler. Others like Speer. Still others like Swift. And still others like what they life. If they kill big game, then they're the right bullets

Years ago I saw a training film that differentiated cover & concealment. A 308 Win will shoot through-and-though a cement reinforced cinderblock wall and have enough remaining energy to penetrate a cop's vest.

A .308 Win will shoot through-and-through the front end of a car, including its engine block, and still have enough energy to penetrate a cop's vest.

With the right bullet at reasonable range, a .308 Win will shoot through-and-through a bull elk.

Dead is dead. What stops oxygenated blood flow ain't nowhere near as important as a big game animal's heart ain't pumping oxygenated blood or that its lungs are no longer making oxygenated blood.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
They all work,it's just a matter of matching the bullet to the game.

For instance,I finished developing a load for a Springfield 1903 .30-06 and a Leupold 3x. The load is 55.0 grs RL-19,Fed 210 Match and a 220 gr Hornady RN velocity is 2371 fps average. Is this load a for antelope,no,it'll work,but it's more suitable for elk,moose and bear in the brush. Have it sighted in dead on @ 100 yds. This is my back-up rifle for my bear hunt in Arizona this November.

One more thing,we can argue about this bullet or rifle or scope or cartridge etc.. it don't matter,use what you want and go forth and kill critters. The best thing anyone can do is PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Boxer,

Do you really think that a .300 Rem Ultra Mag through an elk's heart is going to kill it deader than a .308 Win through an elk's heart? Is that what you want me to believe? That a .300 Rem Ultra Mag has mystical powers than kills deader than dead?

If you know how animals die, you'd recognize that your "Terminal Trilogy" is thusly nuance designed to disguise lack of merit as appearing intellectual. There is a terminal singularity: put a suitable bullet where it will stop oxygenated blood flow and animals will die. That, my friend, is 100% scientific fact.

Remember that gun and hunting magazines are entertainment. They are not professional journals.

It seems as though you've spent far too much time buying in to a factless theory and now you're willing to throw down in order to defend your posture.

Let me write this again: put a suitable bullet from any suitable cartridge in a big game animal's heart and or lungs, and it will die. Caliber & cartridge, within reason, is immaterial. Stopping oxygenated blood flow is material. You do understand this singular concept, don't you? Or do you need a trilogy to kill animals?

SloppyPoozy,

Holy [bleep] Dog Schit...your haste to take STUPIDITY to places it's never been before,is simply [bleep] INCREDIBLE,in it's boundless Do Nothing Dumbfhuqqery! Congratulations?!?

Did you really mutter the word "intellectual",while in the throes of your Vagina Monolgue? Then didja' try and quip Taylor's KO Ruse,as frosting on your triple layered Retard Pie? That is THE funniest schit to hit these pages,since Jeff-O drug up and took her mullet elsewhere. THANKS for them laughs and don't feel slighted in the least,that the schit is ONLY [bleep] funny,because you "think" you "know" what in the [bleep] you are guessing about. EPIC humor!

Lemme reiterate some facts,for your pointy head. The Terminal Trilogy(again).

1) Placement
2) Projectile integrity
3) Headstamp

I enjoy that your opening Vagina Monologue involves #3(headstamps),with no mention of (#2) and less any input on (#1). [bleep] funny schit!

Now lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",in that the ONLY time boolits is equal,is when they are setting on a shelf.(hint) Put them in motion and them constants is no longer constants. Read that again. Hint. Laffin'!

Within the realm of Boolitdom,are there a greater percentage of .308" diameter boolits that'll reach a Wapiti's Blood Pumper via 308Win,rather than an Ultra? Assuredly and without doubt. "Why?" you're quivering lips mutter,in full candor. Because speed and rotational velocity do funny schit to boolits,which often ain't funny. Read that again. Hint. Your very lovely Theorum,do not take anything cognizant into account,though it do laude the schit that means the least. In fairness...you can only do the best you can do and your "BEST" is funnier than [bleep]. Bless your heart.

In conjunction with your sheer and utterly clueless Boolit Buffonery,you badly botch placement(#1) and I always enjoy the "Adventures" of you Haybale & Crockett Dumb [bleep],as you wanna hit schit and watch it run off...which is how asphyxiation "works". Kudos there,that was purty [bleep] awesome in and of itself. Laffin'!

Here...lemme fuel your Imagination,if only to bolster your Pretend.in the HOPES that the cat don't get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

While an AED ain't gonna save the victim and I read in the F&S Autopsy Report that there is a fair amount of trauma there,that victim still hit High Gear and peeled the [bleep] out. Read that again. Hint.

Been ALOTTA Critters hit in the heart,that kept Chooglin'. Read that again. Hint.

Been even more Critters hit in the lungs,that kept Chooglin'. Read that again. Hint.

One more time...not all boolits,in like locations,do like things,as per the arrangement of terminal affects. Once a disparity in IMPACT velocity enters the equation,things can/will/do skew wildly and that via the SAME boolit,in the SAME chambering. Read that again. Hint.

Not to burst your bubbles,but I just may have shot a .30cal once. Laffin'! May have arranged some sensational placement and had projectile integrity let me down,as a direct reflection of headstamp. Hint. Hint. Hint. Read that again.

In fairness,I've shot more 300Whizzum,300Winny,300H&H,3-Bee,300Super and 30-378 than even YOUR Imagination could begin to [bleep] grasp. Hint. Read that again. Laffin'!

Adding to them facts,I've yet to zook a monometal boolit,outta anything,regardless of launch or impact velocity or twist rate. Hint. Read that again.

Flipside being,I've zooked more cup/core's outta moderate case capacities to bore sizing relationship,than I care to remember. Hint. Read that again.

Re-flipside being,I've zooked alotta cup/core's outta upper echelon case capacities as relative bore sizing relationships go. Hint. Read that again.

Re-re-flipside being,I've squirted more than a schit ton of subsonic 30cal's,should the spectrum interest your Imagination. Hint. Read that again.

'Course you'd have to live 1000 lifetimes to have shot half as much as I have and do not "think",that fact don't add to the oblivious humor of your pointy-headed escapades formulated by the dElusions of your Imagination and it's Pretend. Laffin'!

Two thumbs up for your right proper Hissy Fit,the way you wove it into your Vagina Monologue,then encapsulated Bell's FMJ's Forays,Taylor's "KO" Goat [bleep] and went right to the heart of the matter,on an "intellectual" basis,less a single muttering in the firsthand. Yes....them puns is [bleep] intended. UPROARIOUSLY EPIC [bleep] humor,fueled solely by the "resolve" of your "knowledge","experience" and it's cumulative "results". Laffin'!

Next you'll try to "talk" about CNS.

[Linked Image]

Cheer up...I've shot alotta schit in the ear and believe it or not...not everything is the SAME there,either. Hint. Read that again.

Your "index",is simply a reflection of how amazingly little you've actually done and with how very little wares. Yep...that pun be intended too. Congratulations? Laffin'!

PLEASE go The Secret Squirrel PM route,align "all" your assets and really go for the heart,on the next pass.

I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooooo [bleep] hard!!!

WOW +P+!!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This guy cracks me up! "triple layered Retard pie"!

Every once in a while I will go off about something I really don't even believe, like the awesomeness of the 257 Roberts or some such. Simply because I know his response will be [bleep] hilarious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They all work,it's just a matter of matching the bullet to the game.

[i]PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE![/i]

Exactly. This is the "Terminal Trilogy" that Boxer is referring to.

"Practice"= placement
"Bullet"= not all of 'em are created equal. (hint)
"They all work"= HEADSTAMP. Some are better than others, but if "they" will fling the adequate boolit at adequate velocity (and in some circumstances real fast can be too fast)you will kill schit if the first and second are performed adequately. Some headstamps are just more efficient than others. (as Boxer would say, HINT).

wink

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Practice..take the rifle out and shoot it at varmints ie use it. Shooting rabbit,PD's,coyotes helps when it comes to deer,elk etc...

Bullet... match the bullet to the game. A target,varmint bullet is not intended for big game.

They all work...headstamp..meaningless words and numbers that has nothing to do with killing game. Do you think game animals know or care what headstamp they been killed with?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Boxer,

Does this mean the 243 is better than the 25-06? smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was so long ago that I heard this. It made sense than and it still does: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts.

The practice guys are right. Biology doesn't lie. Nothing lives sans its heart and/or lungs. Put a suitable bullet where it needs to go, and your big game animal will die.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
True,but I would add that a .243 with a varmint bullet is not any better. The bullet has to reach the heart/lungs in order to kill. I would prefer the bullet to reach the other side,exit or not as long as the heart/lungs have been perforated.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The OP was looking for a simple answer.

His question:
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Is there any real world difference between these 2 cartridges hunting anything from whitetail to elk?? Buying a Ruger M77 and trying to decide what I want it chambered in.I don't handload but will in the very near future.In the mean time I have a buddy that has been loading for me.
Thanks!!

The answer: No

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SansSouci

Nothing lives sans its heart and/or lungs. Put a suitable bullet where it needs to go, and your big game animal will die.

True. Boxer's point is that some game animals will run for a ways after the heart or lungs stop supplying oxygenated blood to the brain. Take out the landing gear or CNS and that animal dies where hit. No tracking. No bunghole pucker in the thick stuff with big critters that bite or trample...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Shot this cow elk at around 75-100 yds with a .338 RUM and 210 gr NP. Through both shoulders and forward portion of the lungs. She was very much alive when I walked up to her,she died only after I put a .44 mag bullet through her skull. So,I guess you could say she died where I hit her,it just wasn't from the initial shot.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. I don't want to get into a wizzin' contest with anyone, especially Boxer and Elk, but I think the two of them are right: bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world. In the environment I hunt placement is the essential element but construction helps with the variables. I'm sure y'all have shot more game than me but I know what works in my neck of the woods. As Boxer and Elk say, bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world.

Pair those up with a good 7x57 and you are GTG anywhere in the world. grin

That is all you need to know.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world.

Pair those up with a good 270Win and you are GTG anywhere in the world. grin

That is all you need to know.

Fixed it for ya Leopard Britches. whistle

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yep. I don't want to get into a wizzin' contest with anyone, especially Boxer and Elk, but I think the two of them are right: bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world. In the environment I hunt placement is the essential element but construction helps with the variables. I'm sure y'all have shot more game than me but I know what works in my neck of the woods. As Boxer and Elk say, bullet construction and shot placement make all the difference in the world.
Rev,when you say "I know what works in my neck of the woods" you're right. I'll leave it at that.

Got the Pre '64 Featherweight .30-06 Friday.

[Linked Image]

Oh and you have probably killed more big game than me. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread needs color.......HOLLA!!

[Linked Image]

Ran up some 129 LRX w/ '19 to 3,100 in a 22" tube and had a little room to spare. 27 Fruitcake ain't all that bad.....

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
ha ... thats some nice flair there 16

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.