Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess a lot depends on your use.

The safepacker seems obvious what it is but is full concealment and padded as well as secure. It's means of attachment are adaptable.

The chest pocket from Hillpeople may work for some but would need to hang lower for me to be comfortable with a rifle and it would take some real getting used to going prone. It may work well with an adjustable height chest strap on a backpack.

Is this for hiking trails where a bigger pocket looking rig would be less conspicuos than say a book bag going to college type where a much less tacticool look is needed?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know that I have ever crossed a hiking trail in the UP...am sure there are some somewhere. Actually seldom bump into anybody, in or out of season, unless it moving over while driving down a lumber trail...:)

In the first post, I mentioned I was looking for a small day or utility pack that would hold a pistol for easy access. The safepacker looks like it would work fine on a pack belt, but it is not a day/utility pack and it isn't any cheaper.

If I have a rifle, it's season and I don't carry a pistol--just more lunch. Going prone ain't in the cards for the terrain & cover...

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My idea of a small day/utility pack is more like Badlands Source or Reactor and even then I think they're a bit to small for me. I'd be looking at the 2200 or something similar. So for concealment I'd probably consider a similar sized pack with a pocket in the belt. My personal defense pistol is small. Concealment isn't easy but then again, depending on the situation....

You'd likely get better feedback in the personal defense forum if that's what you're asking about. In reference to a daypack a pouch on the strap or belt would be a good thing. Unzipping a pocket may use up what little time you have to react.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BigNate
Unzipping a pocket may use up what little time you have to react.

That's not a problem with this piece of gear. It's designed to open without having to pull on a zipper to open it. The guys who designed it are up to speed on what works with personal defense and they designed it with that in mind.

I have a safepacker too but I prefer the kit bag for quick access. Thing is, even without a pistol it's a good piece of gear for anything you want to have readily accessible like a camera, binos, headlamp, snacks, etc.

Shooting a rifle with it on is not a problem either.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
smokepole- exactly. I'm trying to address his idea of a backpack, most have zippers. I think a safepacker would work well, but the way I read the OP's response I thought it sounded like he thinks it's to big. I don't even know what size gun he's trying to hide. Maybe I missed it.

Samuel Colt.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.