Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
OH YES, my Marlin does not like the Hornaday "Leverevealution" either!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You speak of the lack of bloodshot meat, and that has been my experience with cast bullets. Not so with the jacketed bullets at high velocity.

Though capable of taking much larger game than my .30-30 (another favorite), I see much less trauma at the wound site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A late season doe from a few years back in a narrow river slough, shot was aprox 115 yds with my 444 and 310 gr cast bullet.Wound channel was only golf ball size and no blood shot meat to contend with.Good cast bullets work extremely well when properly alloyed for the task at hand..

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
OP Offline
M
WOW! Thanks for all the comments and insight. I've been talking to a buddy of mine who is getting into molding his own bullets. He has a Marlin 45-70 with the 22" barrel that he's been using factor bullets on. He's cast for other calibers but not the 45-70 and just picked up a couple of different molds...we're going to have a little fun!
A little update - finally got out to our cabin and did a little shooting. Fired some JHP Remington 300's as well as a few of the Leverlutions. Had no chambering problems like some speak of with the Leverlution. Used a small 5" paper plate tacked to a big pine tree for a target and put 6 rounds into it. Then put a soda can ontothe tree with the bottom end out and hit two out of three on it...last one was a tad low. Only 30 yards, but with aging eyes and the stock open sites I was pleased. It's funny... I've always shot better with an open sight than with a scope. I assume it's the field of vision combined with my own specticles.

It's going to be a learning curve with ol big bore to learn how to reach out and touch something, after shooting the '06 and 300 Win Mag for a number of years... but with my friend loading them up for us, it will be fun.

Again - thanks for all the replies. I'm learning a lot!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A doe is the best eatin meat as far as venison goes IMHO, Woody. But I couldn't pass up this feller . . . This is the deer that was the recipient of the recovered bullet I posted earlier, you can kinda see the entry hole on the right shoulder. BTW - that is me pulling on the rope, at that point in my life I was 6'-2" and about 280# to give some scale . . .

[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For your 45-70, get a 480 grain flat nosed bullet and cast it 50/50 wheel weights and lead, or 30-1 lead to tin. Drive it at 1200 to 1250 fps, and you are set for anything. I have shot through and through both shoulders of a 2000 pound bull bison at 84 yards, and through a bull elk lengthwise with that load out of my 45-70 Sharps. Deer and hogs are simply a slam dunk. The only one of those bullets I have ever recovered was from a cow kudu on a center chest shot at 100 yards, and the bullet was at the base of her tail. The bullet still weighs 478 of its original 480 grains.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 07/20/14.
M
OP Offline
M
Nice buck you got there Otter. We don't have too many Whitetail here in Idaho... well at least in the areas I hunt in the SW - most are up North of here. We mainly have the mule deer.
That Sharps must be a fun rifle to shoot sharpsguy... I've fondled many at local gunshows, lol.
I think my biggest challenge will be to figure out the drop on particular bullets. My "point-blank" range on a 300 Win Mag is obviously quite different. The bullet power is obviously there... it's just that drop that I will need to figure out with practice at the range. I really don't want to put a scope on it if I can avoid it. Where I hunt is pretty brushy and has thick timber as well...a 100 yard shot would be pretty common. But there are some areas you come across where longer shots would be required. Maybe just setting myself a "max" range that I feel comfortable taking a shot is one way to approach it and over time maybe that range will lengthen a bit. When you compare bullet drops (granted they are lighter factory loads) on computer ballistic programs that big ol arch is a bit intimidating to deal with as you "learn" your rifle and bullet's capabilities. Depending on my ability to stalk the critter given the particular cover, wind direction, etc., a closer move may be possible. I'm not looking for the trophy buck or bull - I just want meat in the freezer. Certainly the talk of lack of blood-shot meet sounds great, as well. Disappointing when you lose some meat, for sure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.