Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bought one when they first came out, but just ran across another one last week. Been watching for awhile and they are getting harder to fine in any number, especially with wood I like.

Thought I did well on the first one, but the latest is very, very nice considering it, as is the first one, is just the tribute model.

First two pictures the original one(first picture doesn't do justice to the wood), last two pictures the newer one. What you don't see in any of the four photos is the subdued fiddle that runs through both when you move in the light a certain way.

Perhaps when I order the matching soft case I'll get the correct spelling on Lewiston....giving me one of each as I have the mispelled version already.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC014_zps945a4b4d.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC013_zpsd1d80745.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0015_zps2b9a83c4.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0016_zps2242daa3.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 07/21/14.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For those of us not familiar with these rifles, a little (or a lot) history would be welcome. How many were made, caliber,years....... they sure are beautiful.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
That second rifle has super nice figure on the wood!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by robertacabin
For those of us not familiar with these rifles, a little (or a lot) history would be welcome. How many were made, caliber,years....... they sure are beautiful.

These rifles were chambered in.270 only in honor of Jack O'Connor, thus the JOC reference. They had two models available...the Tribute (black rubber pad on stock with AA wood..msr...$1999.00), and the Custom Tribute (checkered metal butt plate and AAA wood...msr....$2499.00).

They only made the following numbers.........

Custom Tribute.....506
Tribute................410

Here's a link to a Winchester article regarding their unveling at the 2012 Shot Show.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/articles/detail.asp?id=397

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful rifles. Especially the second one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you don't mind, let us know how they shoot and if you have any problems with copper fouling. A member here was having a terrible time with his. Thanks..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wish they made them in a lefty...
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JOC wasn't a lefty... grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If you don't mind, let us know how they shoot and if you have any problems with copper fouling. A member here was having a terrible time with his. Thanks..

Will do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would be me. Yes, I had some copper fouling problems. Beautiful rifle but lately I haven't had the chance to work with it due to just getting home from bypass surgery in my left leg. I can't even stand yet, have to use a walker. It may be weeks before I can get back to the range as I'm undergoing therapy. frown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kitch, I hope you heal up fast. Take it easy buddy...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too, BSA, but it'll be about two weeks before I can walk they tell me. They stripped a vein out of my leg to bypass a blockage but, that's another story and another thread. Thanks for the well wishes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Kitch, just looking at the wood on that thing ought to make your leg feel better:) Good luck with your rehab, hope you're up and around real soon.
John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's pretty for sure. I have a SC born and bred Winchester 7x57 and a recently(pre-surgery) purchased Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen and I haven't had the chance to shoot either one of them yet.

I still can't walk after being home a week. I have to move about with a walker. The physical therapist told me yesterday afternoon it may be two weeks yet. frown

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bringing up an old thread. I just stopped at the local fun store and they have a NIB Custom Tribute with beautiful wood. This is a pre-owned but unfired rifle that the first owner already sent in for the case and other stuff for it. They are asking $2295 for it but I think I can get it for $2000. What do you guys think, sound like a decent price? It would look nice next to my 270 Ultra Grade.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
reelman, if you can live with the FN BACO. I say go for it ! ! ! Just a reminder of Kitch's problem he's had with his JOC rifle: It fouls something terrible. If you want to go mining for copper, look Kitch up.. wink

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lord, those are pretty rifles! EVERY time I see one . . . "I don't need that, I don't need that, I don't need that . . ."

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy it reelman.

Then take it sheep hunting. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JOC was a good man and knew a good rifle when he saw it. I'm sure he'd even like the new BACO's... whistle

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What is it with his particular series that causes the copper fouling? Wouldn't using Molly coated bullets reduce or eliminate that? I molly coat the NBT's I use in my 257 Wby and all my varmint rifles.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bought one of the Tributes last year. It shoots extremely well and the bore does not foul very much at all. Took an eating-size mule deer buck with it last fall.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Copper fouling?

Dyna Bore Coat is the first thing I'd try. Will probably be the last thing needed.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I bought one of the Tributes last year. It shoots extremely well and the bore does not foul very much at all. Took an eating-size mule deer buck with it last fall.
Interesting,the "egg heads" here say that a .270 bullet bounces off animals. whistle grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Copper fouling?

Dyna Bore Coat is the first thing I'd try. Will probably be the last thing needed.

DF

Kitch gave that a try. I'm pretty sure it still copper fouls pretty badly though.. It's a shame too, because the rifle is a beauty. I'd love to have one, just to look at grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting,the "egg heads" here say that a .270 bullet bounces off animals. whistle grin

They do don't they??? whistle

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy it reelman.

Then take it sheep hunting. smile

If I could afford a sheep hunt I wouldn't be asking, I'd just buy it!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Copper fouling?

DF

Kitch gave that a try. I'm pretty sure it still copper fouls pretty badly though.. It's a shame too, because the rifle is a beauty. I'd love to have one, just to look at grin

Just wondering if he really got it clean before application.

It may need a second coat.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/21/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 77 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.