Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Looking at a few different opportunities here and my wife also said she would consider AK. I have been begging since we last visited. I am a Manufacturing Ops Manager in a Next Gen Solar Pilot with experience in the kitchen and bath industry and paper mills. My wife is a Plant Biologist who is thinking of getting into teaching. I could contact a head hunter but I am not sure there are any in AK. I have read that there is a need for teachers in AK. I guess I could be a professional schlepp and hang out in the woods all the time but not sure that would pay the bills:)

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ak is a wonderful place. Lots of job ops there. You may not find anything in your specialty but I would flip burgers if it paid enough just to live there

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Not even sure which area to look yet. Just getting started. I have read that they need teachers pretty bad in some of the more remote areas. My wife should be able to find something but I have a Manufacturing background so might not be a lot there for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's tough breaking into a new field, some how I managed to get hired on to a small fire protection company even though my background was in manufacturing.

There are some head hunters in the oil and gas industry, but typically they are looking for people with extensive experience in the industry. You might want to contact some of the firms that provide contractors such as Taylor Technical. I think in the next year or two there is going to be an upswing in engineering and when their is a boom cycle it's much easier to get hired when you don't have years of experience in the oil industry.

The housing market is pretty strong right now, the biggest problem is lack of inventory but at least in Anchorage that is paired with the problem of very little land left to build on.

I think the teaching market has gotten more competitive, but not to say there aren't some jobs out there if you're willing to live in the bush for a few years. On the flip side with Anchorage laying off teachers due to budget cuts it'll probably be a challenge getting a position on the road system.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am ok living in the bush but I imagine I won't be able to find work in the bush unless it is logging etc. I am just not sure right now. I am 32 and have a lot of runway where I am. I really want to live off grid but with 3 small children is that realistic and sustainable or will we be dirt floor poor? If I did not have children I would take a few rifles and the wife and be there already. She could teach and I could roam.

IC B2

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The other option is to continue to visit there and when the kids are grown in 16 years for the little one just move there then. By then I am sure the population will be much higher but maybe not.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The teaching positions I had heard about where in the bush.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I would be thrilled just working for the state dealing with nuisance animals or trapping etc. I grew up in a very remote part of the Berkshires and loved every minute of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I highly recommend raising your kids in Alaska if at all possible. Like anywhere there are good and bad things, but I can't think of a better place to raise kids.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The way I see it is you can find a million reasons not to do it. If you really want it then do it. It won't be easy, but nothing worth doing is easy.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am looking for areas to look at mostly. I am just getting started looking and not sure which areas to even consider.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, We're Closed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gremcat
I am looking for areas to look at mostly. I am just getting started looking and not sure which areas to even consider.

Your wifes job will dictate that and then its on you to make it work on your end. We could sit here and list 100's of places but if there isn't work for her its just a waste of time. Sorry but to me you sound like your kicking the tires. If there is a will, there is a way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^

what he said

I'd think bush living would be great for a while, teachers are needed in the bush, but that's her job. your job out there will be to do whatever you can. Not going to find much in your fields of expertise.

but once you get your foot in the door, embrace the community and lifestyle, it seems opps turn up. OTOH it ain't like what you see on TV, if you can't/won't embrace the culture differences, lifestyle differences etc. it could be a miserable experience.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I don't watch much tv and to be honest wouldn't believe what I saw. Kicking the tires is a good way to put it. I have heard that living in Fairbanks is not as good as other areas etc. Maybe this is harder than I am thinking. I am thinking she would have a few places to look at and thus some choices or places to narrow our search. Like I said if it was the lower 48 we could just call a head hunter. I am on a pretty good path right now but AK is beautiful and I am just trying to figure out where most people live and why. I am sure I would be giving up the idea of retirement in my future but for the opportunity I am willing to make that sacrifice. It is a bit overwhelming to think about selling everything and making the jump. I want to make sure we are making the right choices. Not much going back if you wind up in the wrong place. I am used to remote living but that was when I was younger and didn't have a family. I am not asking for the keys to the city. I am just trying to wrap my brain around how people make it work and if I can set us up to be successful there by doing a little research great.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I also want to be able to be fishing or stomping in the woods relatively easily. If she gets a job in an area where that is difficult it kind of defeats the purpose.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am also sure we could work flipping burgers and make it work but that would not be ideal. Maybe a few more trips up there to get a better handle on some of the areas would be best.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Narrow your search and take a visit in the dead of winter.

Asking about working in AK is like a foreigner asking where's a good place to move to in the US.

It's that big.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure if there are kids in Elfin cove anymore but if so that might be an option for her. Or look at Hoonah, Angoon, Pelican, and Gustavus. There you could deckhand fairly easy if you don't get seasick and are a hard worker. That would take care of spring, summer, and fall. Trap in the winter. You need to be creative and think outside the box. Anyone advising you to flip burgers is out of their mind. You don't move to AK to flip [bleep] burgers.

I can only help you with the areas I know. Alaska is a BIG AZZ state. There is plenty of work there for a guy willing to work hard and start at the bottom.

Good Luck leave the tires alone and hit the road to AK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was hopin Mark/Kliktarik would chime in.

Believe he's finally gonna retire from his teaching gig and they were looking for someone to replace him.

though those are apt to be big shoes to fill.

but from my perspective he's a guy that made the transition very successfully

course he's the type of guy that would fit in anywhere, heckuva good guy.

and gemcat, you're absolutely correct that FBKS ain't what you're looking for.

it's changed, lots more conveniences, shopping choices, better prices etc. than old FBKS

but man I miss that place, I'd happily pick through the lettuce at Lindy's just to have that place again.

we're looking to buy a house near a smaller town in AK PDQ

Fairbanks is a nice place to visit maybe 6-12 times a year.

but it ain't AK anymore, we even have lil Anchorage on the North Side now....despicable

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.