Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek

AND I LEARN FROM THESE GUYS ON THIS FORUM EVERY DAMN DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

I do not know it all...every day I'm reminded that I don't.

Along with observation comes critical thinking. You observe something then it's time to seriously ponder what you've just seen. Is the lesson absolute? I'll tell you right now, it rarely is.

Nowadays, I don't make many absolute statements; that's when feet go in mouths.

Good stuff, and not just about forum-land.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gmoats, FM,GG. and others. I have just reread this entire thread. I can see how I may have sounded condescending. If so that is intolerable even by my standards. If anyone perceived my posts as being condescending in tone or content I apologize with all sincerity.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Class! You got it after all, Mike.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Gmoats, FM,GG. and others. I have just reread this entire thread. I can see how I may have sounded condescending. If so that is intolerable even by my standards. If anyone perceived my posts as being condescending in tone or content I apologize with all sincerity.

mike r

�..actually you were the one that was NOT condescending, Mike---personally I got a kick out of your sarcasm---alittle obtuse and too pointed to go unreproved, but it appears that it's all water under the bridge at this point.
PAX to all

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

mike r
Hey we're past that, let's talk guns. And good Scotch.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

mike r
Hey we're past that, let's talk guns. And good Scotch.

Agreed! It is all good here.

Back on topic of what we don't like about our CC guns, do any of you know of a 9mm that is smaller and lighter than our KelTec PF9? I find the PF-9 just a hair to large to be able to quickly remove it from a jeans pocket, and large enough to print or show badly so carried. In my back pocket, enough of it sticks out to make it very easy to see and discern.

I would love to find a semi auto 9mm the size and weight of a P3AT or close too it. Alas, I suspect that such a pistol may be beyond the materials and designs we now have at our disposal.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also would love for my RIA 10mm to be a bunch lighter. Anyone know of a Polymer or Aluminum frame 1911 in 10mm caliber? Maybe the Aluminum would not be able to stand up to the pounding a 10mm gives to a pistol, I don't know. But, we were asked what we don't like, and I do not prefer the weight of my RIA full sized 1911 10mm.

Last edited by safariman; 07/18/14.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Back on topic of what we don't like about our CC guns, do any of you know of a 9mm that is smaller and lighter than our KelTec PF9? I find the PF-9 just a hair to large to be able to quickly remove it from a jeans pocket, and large enough to print or show badly so carried. In my back pocket, enough of it sticks out to make it very easy to see and discern.
The Taurus 709 Slim is a bit smaller, but not nearly as small as the P3AT. I ended up with a 709 for a few months and then sold it to a guy who needed it much more than I did. It really is slim, and the one I had (sample of one) worked perfectly with everything I fed it. It was tough getting the last two rounds in the mag though. I'm betting that's why it worked so well though. The super-short throw of the slide makes for a fast cycling slide. So a very stiff magazine spring is essential to advancing the next round in time to be caught by the slide.

I had a few little gripes about the 709, but overall it was a decent little pistol. I don't imagine it's something that's going to survive thousands of rounds...one of those guns you carry a lot and shoot very little. And with what they cost, I'd just consider them disposable.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I also would love for my RIA 10mm to be a bunch lighter. Anyone know of a Polymer or Aluminum frame 1911 in 10mm caliber? Maybe the Aluminum would not be able to stand up to the pounding a 10mm gives to a pistol, I don't know. But, we were asked what we don't like, and I do not prefer the weight of my RIA full sized 1911 10mm.
I've never seen an aluminum frame 10mm. I guess it all depends on how many rounds of the full power stuff you would intend on cycling through the gun as as to whether or not it would be a good idea. 10mm is hard even on steel frames.

No one offers aluminum frames aftermarket, which really bums me out. Rumor has it that Caspian will do a batch from time to time, but I've yet to see one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I Cary an old LW commander they I tricked out and did a bobtail flat top and night sights.
It shoots great in the hands of a good 1911 shooter. I just wish I could shoot it as well as I do a revolver. Nothe at all wrong with the gun just the jerk behind the trigger.
No doubt I have enough confidence in it to get the job done if needed..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GunGeek,

I will look at the Taurus 709. Did you find it small enough to hide inside of a back jeans pocket etc? Our PF-9 was, at the time, the smallest and lightest 9mm going, but maybe the 709 has bested it in that area. I will go look at one as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip.

While I would love a lightweight 10mm auto, I am pretty sure you are correct that an aluminum version would have a short shooting life. Maybe Smith and Wesson will do something in Titanium and Scandium a la my 329PD. Was not so long ago that no one would have believed there would be a viable, shootable 23 ounce full sized 44 Magnum!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I Cary an old LW commander they I tricked out and did a bobtail flat top and night sights.
It shoots great in the hands of a good 1911 shooter. I just wish I could shoot it as well as I do a revolver. Nothe at all wrong with the gun just the jerk behind the trigger.
No doubt I have enough confidence in it to get the job done if needed..

THAT sounds like a super cool little carry gun! If you ever get around to taking some photos of it, I would sure love to see them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
safariman why not just keep the PF-9 in your front pocket? It has never been a problem for me there. But you might wear skinny jeans! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
safariman why not just keep the PF-9 in your front pocket? It has never been a problem for me there. But you might wear skinny jeans! smile

I have tried that, but my wifey does like me in tight fitting jeans. Not the quickly tapering 'skinny' jeans mind you (ICK!) but quite snug ones up around my, ummmm.... backside? I guess that so long as she wants to admire it, I had best show it off for her. Sherri could not fit a skinny dime in her jeans, and I have to admit that I LIKE it that way! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Added to that is that suit pants, dress slacks and gym wear will print a gun of any wieght or size at all.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My PF-9 in shorts pocket looks like a wallet. I know this doesn't sound right but I carry mine upside down when wearing shorts. I wear boardshorts a lot. The weight being on the bottom of the pocket keeps it in place much better. Yes I know its not fast, but neither is velcro pocket flaps.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
My PF-9 in shorts pocket looks like a wallet. I know this doesn't sound right but I carry mine upside down when wearing shorts. I wear boardshorts a lot. The weight being on the bottom of the pocket keeps it in place much better. Yes I know its not fast, but neither is velcro pocket flaps.

Now THAT is an idea I had not thought of. Thanks.

I can carry a PF-9 in the front cargo pocket of my Carhardt work shorts. Might just buy a few more pairs of those instead of a whole different gun.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image]

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GunGeek,

I will look at the Taurus 709. Did you find it small enough to hide inside of a back jeans pocket etc?
Honestly I never tried it, I always carried front pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The thing about portraying yourself as an all-knowing ninja on the innternets is that somebody's likely to call you on it.

For example....
-Somebody could theoretically google a list of approved training providers in your city where you're employed as a "firearms instructor".
-Then cross reference that with the name or partial name you use online.
-Then see which folks with that partial name work at a gun range similar to what you've bragged about.
-And pretty quickly narrow down who you likely are and just how awesome your resume actually is.

And THEORETICALLY they could discover that your career as a firearms instructor largely involves giving free CCW classes or catering to the bachelorette parties and weddings in the VIP lounge of a luxurious indoor range. And then your ninja cred goes out the window.

Theoretically, anyway.

ok that was funny!

well done Blue, well done indeed grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.