Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Agree. A hunt is a complete experience. I can say that an African plains game hunt and a DIY elk hunt in the Rockies are two completely different experiences. They are both fantastic! But they are great for very different reasons. Africa, to me, is about experiencing something I had only read about, about seeing massive numbers of game and countless variety. It's about bourbon around a fire at night, riding around in the bakke with the PH, stalking in a land where you are certainly not the top of the food chain, learning a craft from the PH, judging animals and simply seeing a different part of the world. DIY Elk in the Rockies is brutally hard, the altitude, the dry air, the steepness, the distances, living in a tent and eating minimal meals, fatigue, and then if you shoot something it gets real hard. A successful elk hunt is a tremendous reward.

I really think they each have their place. I can tell you that as I get older there is going to come a day when sleeping in a bed and having trackers and skinners doing the hard work will have great appeal.

+1 puckinaeyright

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I have never hunted Elk, I would hunt South-Africa without taking any trophies back. Take excellent pictures and have them enlarged and framed, as for me it is about the experience and not the trophies we take back (there you can subtract quite a bit). If I look at the prices mentioned for Elk, I would rather hunt 4 or 5 animals around here with the right guy, as 5 animals vs 1 would simplify the decision for me. I am not for one moment saying an Elk hunt would not be an exceptional experience, I just think you might be able to double the experience in South-Africa.

Pieter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is an asinine discussion. Experiences are not exchangeable.

Going to africa for a week and taking a plenthora of plains game will not get you an elk.

Nor will you get a discount on your next sheep hunt.

Pick your poison...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I more than struggle gauging the quality or value of a hunt on the number of animals taken. Nothing tough about killing plains game in Africa. Elk, on the other hand, will be more than a smidge more physical and challenging to the point you may come home elkless. Hunting...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by m77
Although I have never hunted Elk, I would hunt South-Africa without taking any trophies back. Take excellent pictures and have them enlarged and framed, as for me it is about the experience and not the trophies we take back. If I look at the prices mentioned for Elk, I would rather hunt 4 or 5 animals around here with the right guy, as 5 animals vs 1 would simplify the decision for me. I am not for one moment saying an Elk hunt would not be an exceptional experience, I just think you might be able to double the experience in South-Africa.

Pieter

Pieter, that's what my mate and I did in Namibia 3 years ago.

I came away with a lot of photos, one set of warthog tusks and an awful lot of memories of the hunting and the good times we had.

The most powerful memory is late on the afternoon of our last day when the 'cruiser scrabbled up a red dune and the PH shut it down on the top.
Both my mate and I were a bit puzzled at this, Arno, our PH said, "There's something we have to do." He walked to the rear of the vehicle and pulled a six pack of Tafel out of the cooler, handed a bottle of each of us and added,
"Before you leave Namibia, you've got to sit on the top of a Kalahari dune, drink beer and watch the sun go down."

That's exactly what we did..

IC B2

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I more than struggle gauging the quality or value of a hunt on the number of animals taken. Nothing tough about killing plains game in Africa. Elk, on the other hand, will be more than a smidge more physical and challenging to the point you may come home elkless. Hunting...

Bold statement to make, that there is nothing tough about hunting plains game. Guess it might have been a place where you hunted and how you hunted animals but I can assure you from the years I have hunted South-Africa I have hunted plenty of places that was pretty hard. To ad to that I am pretty fit and very used to being out in the field. But as I mentioned, it depends on where and with whom you hunted.

Pieter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Africa, hands down. It's not even close. Been there and done both , several times. I am planning another African trip, yet I have no interest in hunting another elk. In fact, now that I think about it, I haven't wanted to hunt elk since I went to Africa the first time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well big game hunting never was a "cheap" sport! I when to Kenya in 1971 instead of getting a European Sports car, took the only suitable rifle I had at the time a Remington 700, Spent a month and had a General License in my pocket, shot two head of game every day for almost a month. It was a good bit of money back then, now you would have to be some kind of wealthy to do it and you would have to go to TZ. On a per shot basis, Africa is a good deal, these days when you look at some of the other stuff that goes into it, I don't think I would bother putting up with the Airlines TSA customs, and the rest of the junk that nobody talks about, let alone supporting a bunch of black thugs too boot, but to each his own! I think I would rather hunt Elk in the deranges just South and to the East of Yellow Stone, expensive yes, the 30 mile horse ride to where you hunt price less!

Last edited by gmsemel; 07/20/14.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=EdM]I more than struggle gauging the quality or value of a hunt on the number of animals taken. Nothing tough about killing plains game in Africa. Elk, on the other hand, will be more than a smidge more physical and challenging to the point you may come home elkless. Hunting... [/quote

As to elk hunting, I've only been 3 times, but I have several local buddies who frequent places like Chama Land and Cattle, the Mescalero Res, and another lodge hunt I can't remember the name of offhand. They aren't what I would consider overly strenuous, as they usually have a nice 6x6 within a couple of days...for around $15k I might add. My latest 12 animal hunt in Namibia was less money, and I couldn't fathom having more fun spending money, unless I could afford a mule deer hunt on the Jicarilla, but that ain't gonna happen. Namibia is off the charts fun.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Me too! Been checking out places lately that leave a mint on the pillow each night!

And I don't feel guilty about it! Ive climbed enough mountains, and packed enough game off of them...

That and Father Time seems to be the typical cure for elk fever, precluding premature demise. Success hastens its arrival.

Last edited by eyeball; 07/21/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Amen brother. I quit hunting elk 11 years ago. People ask why? And they are shocked when I say I don't EVER want to see another one of those big foggers dead on the ground!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Amen brother. I quit hunting elk 11 years ago. People ask why? And they are shocked when I say I don't EVER want to see another one of those big foggers dead on the ground!

Time and injury (destroyed my ankle and blew out my back leaving nerve damage in the other leg) are quite effective at persuading me that I am a deer and antelope hunter. Even then, I'm trying to be more choosey where we shoot the MD to make the recovery easier. I have also started going gutless on the deer if I can't get the truck close to them. Gamecarts and sleds help immensely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Africa, it was nice watching some one else do all the grunt work for a change. Don't get me wrong, I still helped a bit and I carried my own rifle. But it was nice heading for supper while some one else slaved in the skinning shed. Refreshing.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hunted elk all my life here in Western Washington. Now that I am old I prefer hunting Africa. Much more comfortable and don't have to deal with packing out skinning and such. But to be fair both kinds of hunts are too different. Oranges to apples.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tedthorn
However

Elk tag.......... $555 to $780.....$668 we will use
Gas from STL to North NM round trip......$700
Tri State or Vermijo ranch....... $10,000
Cape Skin and process in Raton.....$350
Guide tip....... $1000
Staff Tip....... $100

One animal..........= $12,818

You're an amazing tipper!!... Wanna come hunt Coues Deer in AZ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10%

Based on exemplary performance and budget

and to your invite.....nope

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have never hunted Elk or been to Africa yet. However my gut tells me I would probably rather do Africa once as to hunt elk 10 times. Africa just seems to be calling me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm 100% in the camp of being fiscally responsible. The guy I shared camp with in Namibia this past May was a pretty wise man, and a veteran of 28 safaris. He told me this, which I happen to agree with:

When you're young you have no money.
When you finally have some money, you usually have no time.
When you finally have some money and time, you likely don't have your health.

Moral to the story.....if you have some extra money and have a little extra time, go for it. Africa is a very special place to experience for a big game hunter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Couldn't agree more, I got it out of my system ( as best I could) by the time I was 55, and glad I did. Physically, theres some of it I couldn't do anymore. ( 10-12 mile days after buffalo spring to mind instantly�)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For one animal, an Elk hunt is tough to beat! It seems to be forgotten here that you can elk hunt for very little money as well. Basically a license, camping gear and transportation to the area of choice. Odds of killing are lower of course, but the hunting is still fantastic. Once you get to know an area, the odds get much better.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,933 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.