24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was watching a Have Gun, Will Travel show tonight for the umpteenth time entitled The Naked Gun featuring a Bridgeport Rig. I became curious so I did a Google search and sure enough there is a person making replicas of the Bridgeport Rig. The rig was invented and patented by a sheriff in Texas in 1882 for fast draw by law officers although it wasn't long until outlaws used it as well. A marshal out of Texas used one as well for fast draw.

We always hear that fast draw in Westerns is a Hollywood phenomena only as they never did it in the real Wild West. Yet if one studies the holster history of the Wild West there are a number of examples of fast draw rigs, a few of those rigs are shoulder holsters. This has lead me to think there may have been more fast draw shoot outs than we are lead to believe for why invent fast draw rigs in the first place.

Just some random thoughts.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
- I'll share some perspectives on the subject of fast shooting - with a few words from esteemed lawman and all-around good-guy ... Wyatt Earp:

"The most important lesson I learned from proficient gunfighters of the era, was the winner of a gunplay usually was the man who took his time."

"The second lesson was that if I hoped to live long in the frontier, I would shun flashy trick shooting - grandstand play -
as I would poison!"

"In all my life as a frontier police officer, I did not know a really proficient gunfighter who had anything but contempt
for the gun fanner, or the man who literally shot from the hip."

- I imagine there were as many wannabes back then - as there are now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were far less stand up gun fights than one would think. But when one happened word got out. The "fast draw" came from the days of Wild Bill Hickock who wasn't really a fast draw artist, but fairly quick out of the holster, calm under fire, and an accurate shooter. In what I've read, he always held the gun up at eye level in a gunfight.

But people talked about fast draws, and I'm sure people just worked out ways to be faster whether they needed it or not. Kind like a guy buying a motorcycle that can do 200mph but lives in a large city.

There are some who became quite proficient at fast draw and shooting from the hip. Some amazingly so. But I think for the most part the fast draw artists of the 19th century were more wannabes than anything else.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a book buried in my library I think is called Triggerology that was written in the early 1900's on the old gunfighters some of them still alive at the time. I would get the title but it's so buried up I don't know where to look without tearing everything apart. I tried a search for it on the Internet but all I get is romance novels for the most part. I'm sure the book is either out of print or is not in general circulation.

If you come across it it is a very interesting especially the part in the appendix that deals with the gun exercises the gun fighters used.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gun fighting hasn't changed any in my opinion. There are a few constants:

When you need, you need it now.

Fast is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Equipment can't save you, but buying the best doesn't hurt a fuggin' thing.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am old enough that as a kid, there were still people around in my time that had lived through the indian wars, prestatehood.
My father always thought gunsmoke was funny, standing someone down in the street. His comment was ambush was much better, so was a shotgun.
Later, when I became a popo, my firearms instructor was old school.
He always said the majority of the battle was mental, realizing if blood was to be shed, you were most likely to get hurt. But the winner would be the one that could place shots accurately under pressure, and maintain mental control. Still believe that to this day.
It's interesting to talk about this stuff, but the poolice on here that have had to drawn down on somebody and look in their eyes and consider blowing them to eternity in about a half seconds time know what I mean.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gunfighting is more mental than being fast

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.