Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MT2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm sorry for my constant bombarding you with questions, but I still have more. Anyway, I know lighter bullets are preferred for antelope, but would a heavier one do just as well? As you might know from my previous questions, I'm trying to find a single bullet for antelope to elk, so I'd like the extra weight for elk, even though I don't really need it. I have heard that antelope are "softer" than deer and therefore lighter bullets should be used. So would a 180 grain Nosler Accubond be fine for antelope?

Last edited by MT2000; 07/21/14.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any of the Nosler bullets from 150 to 200 grain will work on anything from antelope to elk.
Now, what was the other name you have posted under?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MT2000
I have heard that antelope are "softer" than deer and therefore lighter bullets should be used.

Baloney.

Heavier bullets will work just fine on antelope. On my first trip to Africa, I used a 375 H&H Magnum with 270 grain bullets; the Blesbok and Impala (similar in "softness" to Pronghorn Antelope) were both DRT on lung shots no less.

Personally, I think it's a big waste of time to get preoccupied with working up a special load for varmints, another for deer, etc. I choose a bullet that is accurate in a particular gun and go with that for everything from varmints to big game.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Grumulkin
I have a sneaking suspicision that MT2000 knows more about bullets and hunting than most people on here and he is just having some fun yanking everybody's chain with bullet questions. I also suspect that he is an old poster under a new name.
smile

Royce

M
MT2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Royce,
I'm sorry to say that I'm not an old poster. I guess you could call me knowledgeable of bullets since the number of hours I spend reading about them is inestimable, and bullets are the #1 topic I read about on the web, but I'm not as experienced as many on this website. You can call me obsessed if you like, but I call myself "informed".

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, MT2000, I can only speak for myself, but your "bombarding" with questions does not bother me in the least. I ask a lot of questions here because there is a lot of knowledge here. As a matter of fact, it's refreshing to see straightforward questions.
A lot of experienced elk hunters here use the 165 Nosler Partition as their first choice for elk, and I know it works well on deer and antelope also. You'd be hard pressed to find a significantly better choice for all your hunting. Also, you can probably find a cup and core bullet in 165 grains that shoots to the same point of impact, making practice much less expensive.
Shot placement is the most important part of the equation, and lots of practice makes that easier.

Good hunting and welcome to the Campfire.

Royce

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a confirmed "find a good bullet and use it on everything" kinda guy. And I tend toward the heavier end of the choices. In your case, I'd find a good 180gr bullet and go to killin' stuff. As posted, practice enough that you can do shot placement and not just shoot to the big middle.

Aim for the exit hole.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ding dongs can say so much good folks all.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
OOps sorry ..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've used 180gr TSX, TTSX and NAB's on antelope and they do just fine. Have seen several shot with 180gr NBT's with pretty much the same results. Nothing wrong with a heavier bullet that handles the wind better. Antelope are not hard to kill but distance and wind can make them hard to hit... grin

Golden............
IC B3

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I think the 180 grain is your bullet for antelope to elk and it will do a good job on all with well placed shots. I've used 180 grain on antelope, deer, hogs and elk just fine.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My son uses 180g NP's in a .300WM on everything from Texas whitetail, mule deer, hogs and speed goats to elk and black bear� I use 250g NP's in a .338WM for the same assortment of critters. We sight our guns for one load and hunt everything with that load. If we need a smaller load we use a smaller caliber rifle� that's what we keep .223, .243 and .270 rifles in the safe for. Keep it simple. 180g on an antelope= dead goat so long as you put the shot in the boiler room.

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So would a 180 grain Nosler Accubond be fine for antelope?

Yes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Absolutely. My preference is partitions but YMMV.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Properly placed holes to daylight kill. Size matters only a little for what you are contemplating. Ain't no such thing as over-kill, and one load for all has it's advantages.

180 is my favorite .30 cal, with 165 a close second. JJHack, a former poster here with much NA and African experience thought the 165 was the best all-round choice in '06 from his experiences. Won't/can't argue with that., despite my personal preference. Finn Aaguard did some tests years ago and found the 180 gr. in '06 to penetrate better than heavier choices. And it's perfecty adequate on elk, especially in a Premium. On goats, I'd expect a nice clean puncture with the 180. The critter may go a bit farther (or not) than with a higher speed lighter bullet, but in open country like that, you ain't gonna lose 'em..., and likely there will be less meat damage, than with, say, a .25-06 100 grain....

I'm currently shooting 150's in my '06 for caribou mostly at 300 to 500 yards and they work fine, with good groups and bang/flop performance if placed well. For work out to 300, especially on heavier game than caribou, I prefer the 180 or 165.

The elk I took with a 140 gr. .260 round at @ 150 yards several years ago was DRT. The two caribou that I've taken (about 3 seconds apart) with the .338 250 gr. load were similarily DRT, with little meat loss/boiler room placement. Just for comparison's sake.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
. Anyway, I know lighter bullets are preferred for antelope, but would a heavier one do just as well? I'm trying to find a single bullet for antelope to elk,

antelope are "softer" than deer and therefore lighter bullets should be used. So would a 180 grain Nosler Accubond be fine for antelope?

180-grain Accubond would be just fine.

For softer game use softer bullets. Folks use lighter bullets because they don't need a heavy; don't need great penetration, etc. They want higher velocity, less recoil, etc.

For the "best" flight out of a 30-06, I think in the 165-grain range. Efficient shape is good, quick-opening is desired, and elk-capable with good penetration is needed. You might try a 165-grain nylon-tipped bonded bullet to start. A Nosler Partition would be fine also. Or if you really want to impress your friends, try handloads with the newest, most expensive bullets you can find.

Don't think I made any news with the above. smile

I like 180-grain Hornady pointed soft points in my 30-06 BAR, although that's mostly because I like a cannelure and don't get long shots where I use it.

I don't care if questions are "legit" or not. Doesn't hurt to answer them anywho.

Last edited by 100_dollar_Bill; 07/31/14.

There are many copies.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm trying to find a single bullet for antelope to elk
Load for the elk and anything smaller will die with ease. Any 180 gr in a 30-06 will expand plenty for antelope. Nothing ever survived because of over-penetration.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Load for the elk and anything smaller will die with ease. Any 180 gr in a 30-06 will expand plenty for antelope. Nothing ever survived because of over-penetration.

What he said.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sorry for my constant bombarding you with questions, but I still have more. Anyway, I know lighter bullets are preferred for antelope, but would a heavier one do just as well? As you might know from my previous questions, I'm trying to find a single bullet for antelope to elk, so I'd like the extra weight for elk, even though I don't really need it. I have heard that antelope are "softer" than deer and therefore lighter bullets should be used. So would a 180 grain Nosler Accubond be fine for antelope?

Among the reasons you might see people recommend lighter bullets is that antelope are not very hard to kill and a lighter bullet can extend the point blank range a little. IMO it is hardly worth it. As has been mentioned you will do well to find what load you like and stick with it.

Personally I really like AB's but they can be destructive. I highly covet antelope meat and try to recover every ounce so with that (or really any) bullet I'm conscious to try to spare the shoulder and double lung them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 180 gr would be fine for speed goats. FWIW, I use the 250 gr AB
in my 338 RUM for crop damage deer hunting and they work very well both near and far.

JD338

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.