Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think I would want to get someone to check out that powder. Weird stuff happens, but for the most part there is a reason it happens. It seems to me that the powder(either type of powder or the amount of powder) would be the only component that could make that much of a difference.

To me, the easiest mistake to make, that is associated with loading powder, is an attempted double charge. I always take a look once the cases are charged to see if the levels are the same before seating the bullets. I don't know a thing about a 204, will a 204 case even take a double 29gr charge without spilling all over the pace. My guess is that it would not and an attempt to double charge would be an obvious mess. I just wonder if he has the right powder in the can. Didn't buy the can of powder "new" at a gun show did he?

Harry
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cotis
Check to see if he used the new CFE 223 pistol powder instead of the rifle powder. That would explain it.

I wasn't aware they were making a CFE Pistol powder. I took a look at the canisters and if someone wasn't pay enough attention it is easy to see how they could be confused, this seems like a real recipe for disaster.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta be a powder switch issue to cause that kind of carnage. Glad everyone's OK! It could have easily been much worse. I'm afraid that would end my rifle "career."

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
There's no way to double charge the 204. You can put a couple of grains more than you should, but no double charge. The guy is a good reloader. He even has two scales, an older manual 10-10 I believe and an electric. When he pulled the bullets on the remaining rounds to check the powder charge he used both scales to double check and the load was 29 grains. The more I think about it the only thing that I keep coming up with is something with the powder. How long has CFE 223 been on the shelves? Anyone hear of other problems when CFE 223 has been involved? Big Redhead, he too has mentioned that his rifle days may be over. Thanks goes out to all of you guys for trying to piece this puzzle together, it's appreciated. RRM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could there have been a small amount of a different powder left in the hopper from a previous reloading session? The bottom, non-translucent part of it could easily hide a decent amount of a fast burning pistol powder if one wasn't being careful. An accidental duplex load of pistol and rifle powder?

Dump in CFE 223 without properly checking for a small amount of remaining powder, drop a measured 29 grains and seat a bullet. All rounds are normal, sans the first one. Said duplex load gets shot on the 2nd round and chaos ensues.

To me, that would explain why the first shot was fine and why all pulled loads showed what appears to be 29 grains of CFE 223.

The bottom of a powder hopper could easily hide 10 grains of Bullseye, etc.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azar
Could there have been a small amount of a different powder left in the hopper from a previous reloading session? The bottom, non-translucent part of it could easily hide a decent amount of a fast burning pistol powder if one wasn't being careful. An accidental duplex load of pistol and rifle powder?

Dump in CFE 223 without properly checking for a small amount of remaining powder, drop a measured 29 grains and seat a bullet. All rounds are normal, sans the first one. Said duplex load gets shot on the 2nd round and chaos ensues.

To me, that would explain why the first shot was fine and why all pulled loads showed what appears to be 29 grains of CFE 223.

The bottom of a powder hopper could easily hide 10 grains of Bullseye, etc.

Very plausible explanation. That is the kind of thing I mentioned. I don't doubt the guy is a "good reloader", no slight intended. But "doo-doo occurs."

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Just a ? Did he actually pull the trigger on the 2d round - or did it go off on chambering ?(a high primer situation)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
No, he pulled the trigger and he always uses a powder trickler when he reloads rifle cartridges so there is no way another powder was involved. He told me the other night that Ruger now has the rifle, but they have not gotten back with him on their findings yet. RRM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does ruger service still take the whole month of August off? it may be a while till he hears from them......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.