Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My Mom used to send my twin sister to the orange grove to pick a suitable switch when I transgressed. Sis never failed to find one that suited Mom just fine. laugh

Sam......

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
STXHunter,

Only you and your brothers know if it was a beat down -vs- a spanking.
true, my father also quit drinking shortly after that, so that went along way in it stopping, we're all a very close family now. my dad lives with me and will for the rest of his days.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's something wrong when a father disciplines his child for being disrespectful to an adult and he has to defend his actions. There would have been an imprint in the drywall had I done so growing up. Another fine example of what is going wrong in our country.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And yet, when public canings are suggested, the idea has no merit. Go figure.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Back in the day, the judge would've insisted that the kid appear in court to testify.

So he could give the kid an ass-whuppin too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
....and had I cussed a adult as a eight year old, my ass would still be sore 40+ years later!

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No normal person wants to see an 8 year old get hit. But unfortunately that's all they understand sometimes. They remember that a lot longer than a lecture and a time out. Authorities don't want parents disciplining their kids with a little force, but later in life when they act out from the lack of discipline they have no problem slapping them with felony records to screw up the rest of their lives.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
My Mom used to send my twin sister to the orange grove to pick a suitable switch when I transgressed. Sis never failed to find one that suited Mom just fine. laugh

Mann, I bet that led to some good sibling rivalry.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Mann, I bet that led to some good sibling rivalry.

she laughs about that to this day. smile Me, not so much.

Sam......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was the oldest of 12--I was 13 when 12th child was born. I was expected to set the example so I got more lickin's than any of the rest.

Mom would grab your arm and paddle your butt on occasion--didn't hurt much but was quite a shock.

Major transgression required the belt from Dad--he made a big spectacle out of taking it off and making you bend over the couch--then he would proceed to beat hell outta the couch--didn't hurt at all--but it did make a lasting impression on ya.

I'm sure my father went to his grave very proud of the fact that his children were well behaved in public.

In public 'Children are to be seen but not heard'--I grew up thinking that was a law or something handed down from God to Moses or something.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ever since my son was a young age, his wrong doings were not responded to by being hit or spanked, they were responded to by we talking about making a right choice or a wrong choice.. and if he had to do it over again, which one would he make...

That has worked out pretty well...it bothers me when I see adults being physical on kids... they learn that is the way to do it, and they do the same thing when they grow up to their kids...

sounds like a real 'liberal environment'? not really.. my son is a very conservative kid, and all of his teachers and adults he has been around, have always commented on his level of maturity and reliability compared to others.. and how he knows how to be very respectful to adults...

He didn't get yelled at either... I was that mad, I walked off until I calmed down...and we had level headed discussions on doing life the right way or wrong way...

same worked with my wife's boys from her first marriage.. they were little brats to beat the band.. that changed by not hitting them, but by talking things out and when they did something good, I'd ask them how did that feel? they'd answer "pretty good".. and when something wrong they felt bad, and they would say so...and my response was 'see how all this stuff works?'

they responded to it...

In Scouting, we can't breathe wrong on a kid... so I discussed 'the problem' with kids when they were being an issue to deal with.... at first, you'd get these wiseazzes that would tell me "you're not my dad! you can't tell me what to do!"

My response was " you aren't being told what to do, you're being shown how to make a right choice, instead of a wrong choice....
and your first choice is...you and me can have this conversation... or you, me and your dad can have this conversation... which one do you want?"... none ever seemed to want their dad as part of the conversation...

but you can show the kid the right way, most will respond to it.. they crave consistency and crave feeling like their opinions matter...and they personally matter... the need to do so is an opportunity as an adult or parent...

do I think parents need to end up in front of child services? not in many cases that they are called over....

but many kids are the product of what their parents have created... and many of the parents I see with kids who have discipline issues... its the parent ya feel like beating the crap out of.....

When a child does wrong, how many have ever taken the path of hugging the child, telling them you love them.. telling them they are NOT in trouble... but that you and they need to talk about what they just did... and maybe another choice would have been better.....

always worked with the kids I have been around and my own...

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

That has worked out pretty well...it bothers me when I see adults being physical on kids... they learn that is the way to do it, and they do the same thing when they grow up to their kids...

Don't recall spanking my kids. Certainly not a belt.

I am first to say that, in its way, I probably deserved everyone one I got, but I can also say that those memories taught me more about being a different type of parent than mine were.

Not that they were wrong, or I am right. Or vice versa.

Just different.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i never had to hit my kids, the fact i was disappointed in them was enough.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad spanked me and I'm thankful he did. I still get chills when I pull my belt thru the loops real quick. I spank mine. Not fun to do. I don't just walk in and start whackin away at them because I had a bad day, but sometimes it is necessary. Spare the rod, spoil the child. And as a teacher I've seen the lack of spanking by the "enlightened" parents and the results are an entire generation of buttholes with a few quality specimens sprinkled in (usually the offspring of parents that give a rip about their children as a PARENT, and not their kid's friend).

I know that if I had cursed an adult, or for that matter cursed in general (within earshot), my dad would half killed me. TWICE!!

Last edited by philgood80; 07/22/14.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember having to do that as well. Trying to pick one JUST good enough to satisfy my dad, without getting one TOO good. In my case, we had an australian pine in the back yard, and, if you're not familiar with them, new trees sprout off of the roots of the existing tree. Man, those saplings stung!

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 07/22/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I definitely don't like having to spank any child, and much prefer to discipline them by talking. However, some times, with some kids, that just does not work. The 5 at home now, I very seldom ever have to do more (rarely at that), than tell them that they better straighten up, or get a date with Woodie ( my paddle). My oldest boy, grown up and moved on, was a different story. When he had his mind made up to not behave, the ONLY thing, that would persuade him otherwise, was a couple of swift licks on his butt.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Major transgression required the belt from Dad--he made a big spectacle out of taking it off and making you bend over the couch--then he would proceed to beat hell outta the couch--didn't hurt at all--but it did make a lasting impression on ya.

And that's all it took.
Sounds like a good man!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes a kid does need a whack, and if you don't discipline your kid while they are young and easily corrected, they'll be a terror when they are older.

As far as kids turning you in, that's pretty easy to deal with. I pick up the phone and say, go ahead and call them. If you think your standard of living is going to be better in foster care, go for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boococky
Worse damn thing was grandpa making you go out and pick a switch. That was like walking the green mile.

that was my mom. had a peach tree out the front door. and if you came back with a 6 inch twig it added to the sentence. didn't affect me, affect me, affect me,
t

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

As far as kids turning you in, that's pretty easy to deal with. I pick up the phone and say, go ahead and call them. If you think your standard of living is going to be better in foster care, go for it.

HAHAHAHA thats awesome

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 721 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,421
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.