Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the best .22 for a time of anarchy/civil unrest? We have a debate about it among some friends and your opinion would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of those 15-shot 12 gauge pumps.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.22 mag pistol in the pocket and rifle on a sling.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry. But if anarchy/civil unnrest becomes the law of the land I am NOT reaching for a .22

Not a rimfire, anyways.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is no ammo to be had for it so it doesn't matter.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope it never comes down to having to defend myself or family with just my .22

But if I had to pick just one, it would be my ole tube fed Nylon 66. It's like the energizer bunny of semi-auto .22's

On another though, if it was a .22 pistol, I'd go with my butt ugly Keltec PMR 30 in .22 magnum.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the best .22 for a time of anarchy/civil unrest? We have a debate about it among some friends and your opinion would be appreciated.

I think this is a good question for the imagination. I could see a 22lr being a great tool for short to long term survival. If you were going into battle, sure an AR or AK would be better.

But for surviving discretely...

A bag of seed, 22 rifle, and an assortment of ammo could keep you and yours fed with birds, tree rats, and ??? Around here we've got deer, ducks, geese, and rabbits that add to the variety and don't require the bait. With the right ammo you wouldn't attract much attention.

A 22lr would not be my first choice for self defense, or offense, but a reliable pump 22lr used for collecting meat could also be used for defense.

And it could be used to discreetly take care of roaming undesirables.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would take an all weather .22 LR bolt rifle with a scope mount and backup irons that works with any ammo from subsonics to hyper velocity and uses easy to find magazines or is tube fed. I could use it to hunt anything but big bears and keep my family fed while all the people with apocalyptic firefight fantasies are out killing each other. Something like a Ruger RAR Compact would be very nice. I have the .22 magnum RAR compact but am waiting for a stainless version before getting a .22 LR. (The magnum RAR now spends most of its time in my truck.)

For kicks I have practiced running the bolt fast just in case I need to pick up the pace a little.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This should answer your question.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/07/0...07-15&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Buy a suppressor to go with it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hunter/Gatherer...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I would take an all weather .22 LR bolt rifle with a scope mount and backup irons that works with any ammo from subsonics to hyper velocity and uses easy to find magazines or is tube fed. I could use it to hunt anything but big bears and keep my family fed while all the people with apocalyptic firefight fantasies are out killing each other. Something like a Ruger RAR Compact would be very nice. I have the .22 magnum RAR compact but am waiting for a stainless version before getting a .22 LR. (The magnum RAR now spends most of its time in my truck.)

For kicks I have practiced running the bolt fast just in case I need to pick up the pace a little.

I too am waiting/hoping for a stainless Ruger American 22 LR... Threaded (or I will have it threaded).

Ditto on the suppressor.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not have any data on it, but a .22 LR rifle shooting subsonics is pretty quiet. I wonder how that stacks up against a handgun with a suppressor. I don�t know about the hard hunted southern squirrels, but, up here, the lightly hunted squirrels are not bothered at all by subsonics fired from a rifle. If I miss, they look around like �what the heck was that?� They usually stick around for follow-up shots. I do not perceive any benefit to putting a suppressor on a .22 LR rifle (or pistol, for that matter) at this time. If someone can enlighten me, that would be nice.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Suppressed for shooting two-legged squirrels�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some subsonics are quieter than others out of rifles, at least with the can on.
With a pistol, nearly everything is subsonic and pretty quiet. I run or ran it on both, bolt action guns are much quieter than autos where rifles are concerned.

As to why? There is no comparison between suppressed and merely subsonic. With a good bolt gun, about all you will hear is the firing pin fall. I can think of several instances that could be desireable but they may not be for everyone.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We cannot have suppressors in my state. A few years ago I bought a supply of Agula Super Colibri .22 rounds.

I don't know how they could be any quieter. Just yesterday I was mowing around my vegetable garden and a little cottontail jumped out of my carrot patch right throughout the top part of my wire fence and then stopped under a little pine tree.

I left the mower and went in to grab the bolt CZ and drilled it through the shoulder. The bullet hitting the animal is louder than the report. My family in the house never hears a thing. Even if they were on the deck they wouldn't associate the little noise with what is going on, not that they would care, but it does not disturb what they are doing.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In reference to the thread title "doomsday 22" the reason I selected the pistol is it is not ammo dependent to be quiet. Grab anything but hyper velocity ammo and no one is going to hear you shoot and I still get near full power loads with 40 gr bullets.

But a good air rifle would be useful as well if supressors are not available.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cabindweller
We cannot have suppressors in my state. A few years ago I bought a supply of Agula Super Colibri .22 rounds.

I don't know how they could be any quieter. Just yesterday I was mowing around my vegetable garden and a little cottontail jumped out of my carrot patch right throughout the top part of my wire fence and then stopped under a little pine tree.

I left the mower and went in to grab the bolt CZ and drilled it through the shoulder. The bullet hitting the animal is louder than the report. My family in the house never hears a thing. Even if they were on the deck they wouldn't associate the little noise with what is going on, not that they would care, but it does not disturb what they are doing.

Colibris are bad ass, but a suppressed sub-sonic hits more betterer.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Has anybody else seen that new 455 CZ? It's a 16" barrel and threaded. Not the Tacticool.

Very similar to the old carbine they used to have, only this one appears to have a pretty decent synthetic on it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
[Linked Image]

The CZ 455 SYNTHETIC is also available with threaded muzzle for P-H sound moderator attachment. In the middle of 2013 this rifle will be made also in .17 HMR cal.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The CZ sounds good, I'm actually looking for a threaded bolt gun now, either that or thread one of my Kimbers.

I had a T-bolt that was threaded, 16" and while it shot good, there was just too much plastic in it. It was quiet though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.