24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do much prefer Federal Blue box to Remington CL's. Better accuracy and bullet performance. I even reach for Power Points over CL's.

BP-B6

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Haven't shot CL's much, but in the .243, 30-30, and .300 Savage, they killed deer and antelope just fine.. For the guys in this area who shot factory ammo, they were the top pick..

Like Moosemike, if I buy factory ammo today, I would spring for Fed. Blue Bx. stuff... But I seldom shoot many factory loads.. For handloads, Sierra, and the various Noslers do all I have ever needed done..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The one Core-Lokt load that's always interested me was the 220-gr. offering in .30-06.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular loading?

Just have to believe that in heavy timber, thick brush, or even African bushveldt, it would work very well on most big game - moose, elk, black bear, and larger African plains game.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pinto,

I put two 220 grain Core-Lokts out of my Husqvarna Aught Six through a Cow moose broadside at seventy yards. Both shots were behind the shoulder and both exited leaving great wound channels. I got better penetration from them than I did with the 350 grain Interlock in the .450 Marlin that I shot a Bull Moose with. That bullet did not exit and came apart. Still brought things to a speedy conclusion though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know if they were corelokts or someone elses bullets, but back in my 'buy factory ammo days' in the upper Midwest, I usually picked up Rem factory 06 ammo with the 220 grain RN, for my 06....

220 grain RN is my favorite bullet in 30 caliber....

They ALWAYS work...

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shot core-lokts for years in my 30.06 and killed a lot of deer before I started handloading and found out you needed premium bullets to kill deer. Kidding aside, core-lokts are deadly on whitetails. I could have saved a lot on money if I had stuck with that original combo.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BLG: Clyde, your experiences with the Core-Lokt bullets mirrors my first hand experinces (few) and my first hand observations (MANY!)!
The Core-Lokt bullet WILL do its job once that projectile enters the heart/lung area of medium size big game (Mt. Goats, Antelope, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Whitetailed Deer and also on Elk).
One of my sons Hunts with a Remington 700 in 25/06 Remington caliber - we found out it shot Remington factory ammo so well that we never did "handload" for it!
He has killed Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with it.
My good friend Brad killt a Missouri Breaks Bull Elk (7X6!) I spotted for him with his Browning 25/06 using Remington Core-Lokts!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aside from the link that mathman provided a few posts back(https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=1171&magid=83) to one of my articles on how a number of bullets have changed over the years, I also know that some (but not all) Remington Core-Lokts in the past 20 years have actually been Hornady Interlocks.

Many of you guys might want to read the linked article as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
John,
Wasn't Remingtons original loadings of 140s in the 280, and 7mm/08 actually the 139 Interlock?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BLG: Clyde, your experiences with the Core-Lokt bullets mirrors my first hand experinces (few) and my first hand observations (MANY!)!
The Core-Lokt bullet WILL do its job once that projectile enters the heart/lung area of medium size big game (Mt. Goats, Antelope, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Whitetailed Deer and also on Elk).
One of my sons Hunts with a Remington 700 in 25/06 Remington caliber - we found out it shot Remington factory ammo so well that we never did "handload" for it!
He has killed Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with it.
My good friend Brad killt a Missouri Breaks Bull Elk (7X6!) I spotted for him with his Browning 25/06 using Remington Core-Lokts!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I would never put mountain goat in the medium sized category... The density and quantity of bone in a goat leg is incredible. They are bigger and tougher than deer by quite a bit, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MagMarc,

I believe they were.

I got curious after Dick Dietz told me in the early 90's that the original heavy-sidewall Core-Lokt PSP had recently been given a thinner jacket. Looked at some of the ammo on hand and noticed the bullets were more "pencil-pointed" (as Elmer Keith used to put it) than Core-Lokts I was familiar with. Pulled a "140" from a .280 and sectioned it, finding the little Interlock ring.

I shot a number of animals with the original heavy-sidewall Core-Lokts with good results, especially the 100 6mm, 150 7mm and 170 round-nose for the .30-30. But that was a while ago.

Haven't sectioned any of the round-nose Core-Lokts in a while, so don't know if they still have the heavy sidewalls. They did, long after the jackets had been thinned in the spritzer models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Why the hate? Two reasons, both relating to reloading. 1st, their premium prices for non-premium components. Use to they were the cheapest bullets to get in bulk or any other form. Usually about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of others like Hornady, Speer, or Sierra. So the value was exponential. Now, they cost just as much if not more than like items from manufactures with better quality control and performance. This, I'm convinced of the buisness practices of Cerabus when they were bought out.

2nd, and more a gripe than anything. They don't make their 180gr .308 RNCL or 125 PSPCL available to reloaders anymore.

Last edited by John_in_MS; 07/08/14.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
Why the hate? Two reasons, both relating to reloading. 1st, their premium prices for non-premium components. Now, they cost just as much if not more than like items from manufactures with better quality control and performance. This, I'm convinced of the buisness practices of Cerabus when they were bought out.

This^^^^^
I will not pay the price of CoreLocs or Power Points when I can buy the superior bullets from Hornady, Sierra, Speer, or Nosler for the same or a little less.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a savage american classic in 308 it groups very well with remington cl hunted with them 40 years never had a problem

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will admit ,that the prices form the CL components has made them much less attractive . I still like them ok but as mentioned above I'm not willing to pay a premium over Hornady.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Used normal corlocts twice. First time 165gr 30-06 whitetail at 20yards. Deer went down then ran off. One spot of blood was all I could find. Found what was left of him next year bushhogging.

#2 was a 150gr 7 rem mag at 200 yards on a whitetail doe. She ran 25yards and fell dead. I don't use em for more than paper anymore. I'm sure they work in most situations but there's that chance of a shoulder bone. My FIL tested them vs PowerPoint both 150gr from a 06 and said that the corlocts usually shed there jacket where the pp's did not

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i'd say there is very little hate for corelokts overall. if true ammo sales numbers were released, i'd bet factory loaded corelokts outsell all others combined. the vast majority of hunters shoot factory rifles and factory ammo. over the years i believe corelokts have proven themselves to be more than adequate unless pushed too fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hate em, they have killed a boat load of critters for me always working well.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.