Print Thread
Hop To
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Toutle native Jeff Cooper had hunted all his life, but there was one game prize that had eluded him: a grizzly bear.

Sunday night, at a remote location in Northern British Columbia, he came close to realizing the dream when he shot and wounded a grizzly. The next morning, he and two hunting guides tracked it down.

The angry bear charged out of some brush to attack. Cooper and the two guides, reacting instantly, all fired and dropped the bear. Tragically, though, Cooper was standing in front of one of the guides, and a bullet struck and killed him, according to his family.

Cooper had been out to the Burns Lake area of Canada last fall but failed to bag a bear, said his wife of 27 years, Shirley Cooper. So he returned there May 23 � his 59th birthday � to try again.

Her husband was an avid outdoorsman, she said Thursday.

�It was his passion. He just loved being out in the woods. He hiked. He hunted. He fished,� she said.

Doug Fields of the Cowlitz County Chaplaincy told her of her husband�s death Tuesday after local authorities were notified by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, which is investigating the incident.

Cooper said her husband grew up in Toutle and was a 1973 graduate of Toutle Lake High School, where he played basketball and football. He owned and operated a specialty sawmill in Toutle known as South Fork Hardwoods and is well-known throughout the Toutle community, Cooper said.

They are members of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Castle Rock.

�He was a wonderful person. He would help anyone. He was a good Christian,� Shirley Cooper said.

She said her husband raised her two children, now grown, as his own. One of them, Josh King, said Thursday his father had a lifelong dream to bag a grizzly.

�He loved to hunt, and that was a great challenge,� he said. He said his father was going to have a rug made of the bear hide and his family may still act on those wishes, he said.

The family last heard from Cooper as he was crossing the U.S./Canada border on his way up to Burns Lake on May 23. The area where he died is a 12-hour drive north of the border, King said. Shirley Cooper is making arrangements to have her husband�s body brought home and expects that to happen Friday.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Tragic for sure.
If there is anything to dying doing something you love, it sounds as though he did. Still tragic.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was wondering what happened, it's tragic when accidents like this happen. RIP Jeff Cooper.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep, RIP, Jeff.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sad for sure.
RIP Jeff.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Worse than being dead is living with the memory of killing a friend...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Worse than being dead is living with the memory of killing a friend...

I think if I ever did that I would give up hunting and shooting forever.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's a hard thing to live with. I hope that guide can make peace with it, and that Jeff's family is ok. Sounds like their faith is helping them cope with his passing.

He did die hunting, and getting his bear, but it's sad that he didn't get to celebrate and brag.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.