Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many times have you had this boat in the water?

You've never tested it with just yourself in the boat?

Has it ever been on plane?

I had it in the water Once. I took delivery of it May 17 2014.

I put it in the water on May 27 2014. I launched to boat and took it across the lake by Myself to the Resort we were staying at.

It planed out with just me in it, but it took almost 10 seconds and porpoised badly. I forgot to check the RPMs.

With three people it would not plane at all. At their request I brought it back to the dealer. It has been sitting there since May 30th.

Last edited by steve4102; 06/29/14.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mch
Not trying to step on anybodies toes but this is what I do for a living I have propped more than twenty thousand boats in the years I have been doing this.There may very well be something wrong with the motor.But until the Op can get the rpms up where they belong the boat will never perform correctly.Now that may mean two different props for different tasks.Sometimes it works out that way.I always recommend taking the boat out with your normal load and propping it for that load.On some boats a hydrofoil can be detrimental to the handling or even dangerous in a few cases.And it is always hard on the anti cavitation plates.I weld dozens up each year from the extra strain.

Here is the exact boat, it is a Package set up by Smokercraft.

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/fishing-boats/pro-angler/161-xl

I know this link says 90hp, but my boat says 75HP. According to Smokercraft Customer service, they changed/increased the flotation foam to get a 90HP approval in Feb 2014 mine was manufactured before that.

The Prop on this motor is a 10.38 x 12 Aluminum.

The prop calculator here
http://turningpointpropellers.com/
recommends a 12.5 x 8 for water sports and heavy loads, a 10.875 X 11 for cruising and a 10.5 X 11 Stainless.

Does this sound correct.

10.875 X 11 is only one pitch down and a half inch larger in diameter?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,
I also have a 60hp Merc 4 stroke. Mine is on a 17ft.
Lowe bass/john boat.
The prop is 10 3/8"x16 pitch and its a little slow to plain with two people, gas... the max rpm is 5200, good top speed though.
I have a 10 3/8"x12 pitch I put on and will try out the next few days, I will let you know. I am hoping for faster hole shot and 5700rpm at WOT.
My boat has a shallower V and probably weighs a little less than yours, but by no means feels under powered. Oh and I am at 3400ft elevation.
This is my first experience with a four stroke outboard and so far I LOVE it! fuel mileage, quiet, smooth...
I was told slower hole shot... over the two strokes, so it's just as I expected, the good definitely outweighs the bad.
I suspect if you can get yours sorted out you will love it.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, hole shot is not an issue for me, mine will just simply point at the moon.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that we have some info to go on that's a start.

Since the dealer asked you to bring the boat in that's a clue that something is not right and it's not unlikely that something is wrong with the motor. It may not be producing 60 hp.

I wouldn't contemplate any changes until the dealer finishes inspecting and completing whatever repairs are needed. After that take it out on a lake, check the rpms on step, and you'll have a baseline to determine if a prop change is necessary and how much of change is needed ... if any.

A 60hp motor on 16' boat is like peas and carrots. They go together very well and the factory prop, if it's the correct one, should be in the ballpark. If a change is needed it should be relatively minor. My disagreement with MCH was his suggestion that "at least four inches of pitch possibly six inches" are needed. A six inch reduction in pitch is a 50% reduction from what you have now. That's an extremely radical change and IMO is way beyond what might be needed. MCH might have jumped the gun with his first suggestion but I have no doubt, that with the right info, that he could recommend the optimal prop.

The props you mentioned go from eight inches of pitch to twelve. That covers the spectrum of everything from pontoon boats, which are very heavy, to a 14' runabout which is very light. IMHO, your boat would fall in middle and lean slightly towards the lighter end. The small change of only one pitch down and a half inch larger in diameter is in the ballpark and typical.

With that said until you measure the rpm on step it would be difficult for someone to recommend the optimal propeller. The exception would be if someone has intimate knowledge of the same boat/motor combo and Smokercraft, Mercury, and your POS dealer have all stated the prop is correct for your application. It may not be the optimal prop but you shouldn't have to vary too far, if needed, from what it is.

I lived in Anchorage for 14 years and a very popular style of boat was a 16' to 18' aluminum hull with a 35 hp motor. The reason for the 35 was the lower Kenai was restricted to 35 hp or less. I'm very familiar with boats of this type and what they're capable of. I owned two Kenai River legal boats and many of my friends had Kenai legal boats.

I can assure you that a 60 hp motor on 16' aluminum boat is more than enough to carry three people, 20 gallons of fuel, 25 gallons of water in the live well, and get on step. A typical Kenai river guide boat with a 35 would get on step with five or six people on board with no problem.

My suggestion for a hydrafoil was based on my experience with these types of boats. As long as they're properly mounted and you don't run over logs or hit submerged objects they won't all by themselves damage the cavitation plate. I've never heard anyone suggest a hydrafoil on relatively low hp boat that operates at modest speeds is any way dangerous. Could be, but I'm not aware of it.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with hyarafoils on smallish boats. It's a low cost alternative to trim tabs and it will the keep the bow down when coming out of the hole. Worst case, if you feel that it doesn't perform like you want, take it off, and go from there. You'll have a few holes drilled in the cavition plate but that's no big deal. Trim tabs might be your cookie. I'd even suggest asking Smokercraft about their recommendations to cure the bow up on take off.

Like I said I'm not an expert on boat propellers but my first career was in aviation and in particular overhauling aircraft propellers. The last six years I served as the Chief Inspector for an FAA Certified Aircraft Propeller Repair Station. Granted, boat props and aircraft props are two entirely different animals but the basics still apply and I have very good understanding of what pitch is.

Once you get things squared away with the dealer and if you feel a prop change is warranted then contact an expert. MCH seems like a good man and I'm sure he'd be able to help you out.

He posted his contact info in his first post on the fire and offered to help anyone with prop questions. He's at The Prop Shop in Knoxville 865-693-0071.

That's ^^^ a long post. grin

Hopefully there's some good advice in there somewhere.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
You are much more patient than me! If I just took delivery of a new boat and had your issues, and they had it back in the shop for a month, I'd be all over them like a bad rash.
Obviously the boat has more than enough power (running correctly) with the load you have in it. I'd be leaning on the dealership hard to get the boat properly set up and back in the water.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
You are much more patient than me! If I just took delivery of a new boat and had your issues, and they had it back in the shop for a month, I'd be all over them like a bad rash.
Obviously the boat has more than enough power (running correctly) with the load you have in it. I'd be leaning on the dealership hard to get the boat properly set up and back in the water.

The service Manger seems very nice and very concerned, but as time goes by it is clear he is all mouth and no action.

He has promised me several times he will take my boat out (after work ) with friends and family. Saturday the 28th was his last promise. I will have to wait till Monday to find out if he took it out and what he found. My guess is he didn't touch it and it is still sitting there gathering dust.

I even offered to pay extra for a bigger 75hp motor and a 6hp Kicker. No sales person (the owner) has called me back on that offer either.

I did call the factory, told them the problem, they requested the Dealer take it for a ride and if they find it has issues that I described, they will come pick it up and fix the problem. That should pretty much put this boat out of commission for the rest of the summer. Especially if I can't get the dealer to put the damn thing in the water.

I think their plan id to just keep making empty promises until I get fed up and tell them to F-off and I will come pick it up and deal with it myself.

If anyone is interested in the Dealer, they are in Minong WI.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Please- update- what did you learn? Sounds really weird.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.