Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What do you guys like for killing gophers in the lawn? They're building mounds and I can't get a shot at 'em (they ain't squills wink ). Is there a particular poison or trap that works? Whats the technique? All I have are mounds of dirt on the lawn with no obvious entrance hole.

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They dig tunnels from one mound to another. Locate a tunnel, and insert an Out-O-Sight mole trap. Snap. Dead mole.

Gassing, flooding, and poisoning don't work as well.

Be not weary in well doing.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Watch Caddyshack...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make poisons and traps for them.

Poisons can be bought at the farm supply stores. They also make a tool to put the poison seeds in the tunnels. But, you can take a hoe handle and punch around the mound of dirt and usually find a tunnel. Drop seeds into the tunnel and then cover the hole, made by the hoe handle. If you dont cover the hole the gopher will push up more dirt (they dont like the fresh air and sunshine) and not eat the seed.

Traps can also be bought at farm supply stores. Dig up the mound and you will find a tunnel or two. Place the trap in the tunnel as far back as you can reach (dont be afraid to dig the tunnel out by hand). Place something over the tunnel mouth to keep out most of the sunshine, we used dried cow paddies. Be sure to stake the trap because cats and dogs will tote off the traps and eat the gophers. It may take a few tries to get the gophers, but if you stay at it you can really put a dent in the population.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smoke bombs but they may not be available in Calioto.

half of a sulfur based road flare will work just as well

Last edited by 700LH; 07/22/14.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The best way is to get on the riding mower with your bow on your lap and then act like you are mowing the yard. Never make eye contact, just keep on as if you were mowing and get into position, pull up the bow and shoot the gopher...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Smoke bombs and flares won't kill em at all, it just inconviniences them for a bit. The only way to get em is traps, and I vastly prefer the gut hook style..

Like oldman said, get under the mound and you'll find two tunnels, going off in diff directions. It'll take a little pokin around but widen them both out enough to get a trap in each one. Set it a little ways back in the tunnel and put somethin over the hole to keep the light out. You get some dumb ones that stumble right on into their funeral, but you also get some smart bastards. Those are the ones.....

Those are the ones that turn it into a sport. They test you. They outsmart you, again and again, till you've turned your backyard into a lunar landscape tunneling further and further to get that perfect trap set...

And when you get that big elusive bastard...whose taken down 3 of your prime tomatoe plants, and countless other lesser vegetables....that's your time.. Celebrate your victory..
I usually throw em in the roof and let the owls get em.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bottles of Paprika, and a water hose.

I love Certifiable's focus, and aggression.

Last edited by WillARights; 07/22/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The best way is to get on the riding mower with your bow on your lap and then act like you are mowing the yard. Never make eye contact, just keep on as if you were mowing and get into position, pull up the bow and shoot the gopher...

[Linked Image]

That's UBER sinister right there....the fake mowing, the silence of a bow and photo proof (We need video, that would be hilarious).

I vote for the BTDT guy.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've actually had good luck with the smoke poison. And yes, you can get them in Ca. Imagine that.

Most people don't dig down into the tunnel enough for them to be effective. Do two or three tunnels at a time. Cover them up after lighting so no smoke comes out. It'll work.

Or I'll loan you my Beagle for a month. He'll kill all of them. You won't have any yard to speak of after though. Ask me how I know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M-80's worked about the best, wish they were still available.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RobJordan
What do you guys like for killing gophers in the lawn? They're building mounds and I can't get a shot at 'em (they ain't squills wink ). Is there a particular poison or trap that works? Whats the technique? All I have are mounds of dirt on the lawn with no obvious entrance hole.

Thanks,

Jordan

Looks like it might be fun in the prcess.

http://www.rodenator.com/

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks all. I'll report back next week. Certifiable, you don't seem half bad. wink Sorry I was such a prick Sunday. (I am going through menopause. blush )

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had good luck with the Macabee traps. Here is the website. Watch the how-to videos. Good luck.

http://gophertrapping.com/

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They make an adapter for the your car exhaust that connects to a hose. Hook it up to your car and feed the hose into the gopher hole. Run your car for an hour or so and dead gophers.

[Linked Image from ]
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by WyoJoe

Looks like it might be fun in the process.

http://www.rodenator.com/

Yes, yes it is fun!! Here is a past post regarding the rodenator;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Group_fails_in_bid_to_recal#Post7787531

It can alter the top soil but it's quite interesting and fun seeing where the tunnels are routed. I've had the tunnels run in the complete opposite direction from where I thought they would go....it certainly gets your attention when the ground heaves up under your feet!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the Caddyshack vein farmers have a lot of fun with these on pocket gophers, extensive tunnel systems. May have to re-landscape though. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Thanks all. I'll report back next week. Certifiable, you don't seem half bad. wink Sorry I was such a prick Sunday. (I am going through menopause. blush )

Jordan

Good grief,...and no comment on your hot flashes.....emphatically not my dept,though okok or leslie may be able to steer you straight ( or Gay,...or bestial,...whatever )

Gas the goddam things with heavier than air propane or CO2,
or use a tractor / engine exhaust.

"Go Die Gopher" is a great alternative, if you just have to complicate things.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a kid, I used to shoot them in the yard at our hunting camp. Takes patience, something a 12 year old needs to learn anyway for hunting. You have to dig out a tunnel, deeper than the tunnel itself so when the critter tries to fill it, the dirt falls away from the hole, after about 2-3 tries, he will poke his head out to see what is going on, then you apply a charge of .410 lead.

Takes me back about 45 years..... smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.