Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A 300 Win mag with a case full of HS6 will do it too, just saying.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Looks like the best use for a Salvage.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i am going to pretend i didn't hear that and go scratch my barrel nuts. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a guy a couple years ago on Gunbroker, selling the remains of a Browning (modern Japanese-made) High Wall, which is a notoriously strong action.

The seller admitted it had had the wrong powder loaded. I forget the details but it might have been pistol powder in a .25-06. It was surprising how many parts of the action were still usable, despite rupturing the barrel.

These photos were making the rounds a few years ago. IIRC the problem was judged to be metallurgical failure:

[Linked Image]

The closest thing to a mishap I've had was shooting a .25-06 in a .270. It proved a loud, but harmless way to make .270 cases smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried to kersplode one of them Mosin-Nagants

Pulled the bullet from a loaded round & dumped the powder.

I filled the case to the mouth with Bullseye powder then kinda shook it down & dribbled a tad more Bullseye powder in then I crammed the bullet back in the case. Before I loaded that round I took another projectile & drove it in the bore just a couple inches ahead of the chamber.

I tied it to an old tire out in the yard & pulled the trigger with a long ass piece of cord whilst I was hiding around the corner of the house.

JAAAAA-BAAAAAA-WHOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

That shoulda kersploded the old Ruskie , right ?

Nope

The stock was busted all to flinders , the action was locked up tighter than a bank vault , but all the metalwork was still intact. No catastrophic failure.
I was extremely disappointed & went into a severe depression.

Upon sectioning is was discovered that the steel case head was sorta welded to the bolt and the locking lugs were set back and that was about it.

*Don't try this at home kiddies , results may vary & yours might go off like a fuggin hand grenade.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shame you didn't have a chronograph out front. You may have set a new mark for the Guiness Book. A 147gr 5000fps FMJ. Circling the globe as we speak.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody, but nobody, says flinders any more, Grandma!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Check out the latest issue of "Handloader" magazine, Mike Venturino will show you how you can blow up a Swedish Mauser...

As kids we could buy 93 & 95 Mausers for $7.00 at The Supply Sargent surplus store in Reno. The scruffy rusty ones sold for $5.00, and we would buy several, then pull bullets and dump powder, then fill the cases with Unique and re-seat the bullets.

We tied them to trees with string on the triggers and got down into a ditch. I feel guilty to this day. We damaged a lot of trees.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A 300 Win mag with a case full of HS6 will do it too, just saying.

[Linked Image]

That's impressive. Care to say how you got those powders mixed up?

Last edited by shootem; 07/23/14.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You see the string?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
LOL now that you mention it. Never been quite that disgusted with a rifle but I bet it was fun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's another way: Shoot it with a cleaning rod in the bore.

A couple-three years ago I was shooting prairie dogs with some friends. The oldest guy, in his late 70's, was at the end of the line, shooting a 6mm wildcat he designed, made on a push-feed Winchester M70 action. The brass was getting a little stiff from being fired several times, so occasionally he had to knock a case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod.

After one shot he forgot to remove the rod, and of course couldn't see it through the high-X scope. The next round blew the barrel off, sending it about 20 feet. The bolt remained in place, but the top half of the receiver ring was gone. The scope blew off and back, hitting my friend in the left eye (he's right-handed and eyed). We rushed him to the closest hospital, 90 minutes away, and they eventually sent him on to the hospital in a big town, two hours away. He lost the sight in his left eye, but might be considered lucky.

The cleaning rod was still in the barrel, and couldn't be removed, probably because the bullet was holding it firmly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.... so occasionally he had to knock a case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod.

After one shot he forgot to remove the rod.........

That's a pretty heavy slug for a 6mm.......I would recommend a slower powder. whistle

Seriously though, glad he survived that experience, another good reminder not to get careless....

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the other guys on the shoot is an engineer, who manufactures all sorts of shooting stuff. He did some rough calculations and figured pressures were in the 250,000 psi range!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the other guys on the shoot is an engineer, who manufactures all sorts of shooting stuff. He did some rough calculations and figured pressures were in the 250,000 psi range!

Based on what?............the trajectory of the barrel?? grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, "bullet" weight!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I tried to kersplode one of them Mosin-Nagants

Pulled the bullet from a loaded round & dumped the powder.

I filled the case to the mouth with Bullseye powder then kinda shook it down & dribbled a tad more Bullseye powder in then I crammed the bullet back in the case. Before I loaded that round I took another projectile & drove it in the bore just a couple inches ahead of the chamber.

I tied it to an old tire out in the yard & pulled the trigger with a long ass piece of cord whilst I was hiding around the corner of the house.

JAAAAA-BAAAAAA-WHOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

That shoulda kersploded the old Ruskie , right ?

Nope

The stock was busted all to flinders , the action was locked up tighter than a bank vault , but all the metalwork was still intact. No catastrophic failure.
I was extremely disappointed & went into a severe depression.

Upon sectioning is was discovered that the steel case head was sorta welded to the bolt and the locking lugs were set back and that was about it.

*Don't try this at home kiddies , results may vary & yours might go off like a fuggin hand grenade.

Mike

This had me rollin'.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whenever someone asks about old military rifles, I usually reply, "headspace gauges were invented for a reason"

[Linked Image]

blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We were at a buddies reservior shooting muskrats from a hill above the pond. He was shooting my 204 and a handful of rounds I gave him. Wen he was done with that, he wanted to shoot my 336 30-30. I still can't figure out how he managed to run a 204 round through the magazine with no feeding issues, chamber it, and shoot it. It had to have been sitting perfect in the chamber for the firing pin to hit the primer. When he shot, it sounded funny and he handed it to me, I jacked the shell out and first thing I saw was a 30 cal neck. Didn't think it was weird until I noticed no rim and tiny case head. The case had ruptured in the middle and a bunch of unburnt powder came out. I don't let many people shoot my rifles anymore...

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've posted this story before, but thanks to a then 16 year old
doing what I'd explicitly told them NOT to do - picking loaded rounds up from shooting houses and putting them in coat pocket -

found out a 7-08 will ALMOST chamber in a 6mm Rem M77 eek

several folks in the club shoot handyrifles, and will set a reload or two on the 2x2 that runs around under the windows,
get in a hurry and leave them in the blind.

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 07/23/14.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.