S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Like the ones Kenton does. Anyone?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Shootem,

Kenton makes custom turrets for many of the scope manufacturers out there. They work directly with many of them including Zeiss etc.

So not sure what scope you have, but they are probably the people you need to talk to.

But I think G7 makes them too, but not sure about that.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for someone to convert regular exposed target turrets to an ASV style locking turret (lift to change, push down to lock) no one I am aware of does this. Kenton was considering getting the equipment to make this modification to Zeiss scopes that do not already offer this, but I don't know if that ever happened.

Kenton can convert some non-target turret scopes to exposed dialable target turrets, but they will not lock, if that is what you are looking for.

The only scopes that I am aware of that have locking turrets that pull up are some Zeiss models, the Weaver Superslam, Leica ERi, Leupold VX7's..there may be a couple more, but it's relatively rare. I was looking for this feature and consider it important for my uses...ended up with a Zeiss HD5 3-15. Wanted the 2-10, but that feature was not offered on that magnification, so had to go up a bit. With that purchase, I got a free custom turret from Kenton, a deal Zeiss was offering at the time that has expired.

I hope more manufacturers start offering locking turrets like this...I think it makes dialable turrets more apt to all kinds of hunting conditions, but many may feel it's unnecessary, and apparently most manufacturers agree.

Hope that helps!

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The HD 2-10x42 is what I have and it must be retrofitted with target turrets by Kenton to get their yardage specific turret. When done the turret does not lock. Free to turn. Have not used a yardage scale turret but like the concept. However it makes no sense to me to have unsecured turret knobs, especially when it's no major engineering chore to implement one.

But I'm in the market for another scope in the next 6 months or so. Are you saying that your Zeiss 3-15 turret as undated by Kenton has a locking feature? If so what type?

The Zice is Nice but heavy. What I'm really hoping to find is an aftermarket locking yardage turret for the Swaro Z3 3-10x42. Kenton tells me they have no plans to do that or any other Swaro work. Outdoorsmans has a yardage turret for the Z3 4-12x50 with BT and the Z5s with BT but no upgrade for the 3-10x42.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Shootem,

Your experience mirrors mine exactly. Zeiss does not offer a locking turret for the 2-10. Kenton only offers exposed target turrets for that one. I talked with Zeiss about making that happen, and they said they would not retrofit, nor had any plans to add that functionality. This was in December.

I talked to Kenton, and they told me the same, but at that time were trying to decide whether to offer that service in the future (retrofit for locking turrets). But as of then, they only offered a change to exposed turrets for that scope.

I consider locking turrets (based on the advice I got) very important if they are to be exposed. So I ended up going with the 3-15 Zeiss. In that scope, they offer a plex, z600, z800, z1000 these all have screw on caps...and then 'lock plex', which is the pull up locking turrets you are wanting. So that would be the one you want...3-15 (or 5-25) with the 'lock plex'. With these scopes you get a plex reticle, but with pull up ASV style turrets that let you pull, adjust, push down to lock. Very fast.

On the weight, I had the same feeling. I liked the weight of the Swaro better. But I did not like the eye relief...for me, the Zeiss was noticeably better...and the lack of a lock on the turret was a no go. So I put up with the 18 oz weight of the HD5...I think the Swaro was 14 if I remember correctly. Frankly, for me, it was a good compromise, but if you are trying to have a really light rifle, maybe not so much for you.

You might look at the Leica ERi. It has locking turrets, great eye relief, great glass. It is heavier than the Swaro, but a couple ounces lighter than the Zeiss if I remember correctly. My problem with it was that the reticle was super fine...but the maybe illumination would fix that. The real problem for me was price...I just could not get there.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you need more info!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Oh, one more thing, if you do go the Zeiss Lock Plex or the ERi route, Kenton does make custom turrets for these. So mine is set up in yards for my load, no problem.

IC B2

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, found out Swarovski does have a locking turret. But they do not offer it in the US. How smart is that?????????? Here's a link describing what appears to be a very simple way of doing it, but look down in the lower right corner of the page and you'll see the US disclaimer in grey:

http://z6.swarovskioptik.com/en/features/ballistic-turret/

It's even described in the Ballistic Turret manual download. They also have developed their own Custom Turret with yardages instead of colored dots. According to the email I got it is very simililar to the Kenton/Zeiss turrets or the Outdoorsmans Swaro Custom Turret except the ring and top cap are one piece. Guess Anybody that would like to have such a locking turret could drop them a message on the website. Maybe they'll get around to it after I've bought a Zeiss.
http://www.swarovskioptik.com/is-bi...SD/SPAG_CustomerService-ViewContactStep2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ask Big Boxer. He will point you in the right direction.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Boxer likes M1 turrets on Leupold scopes.

I think one of the best buys is the Leupold CDS. You can send your Leupold back for a CDS retrofit, $89 and it takes around 2-3 weeks and you get a generic turret. You can then buy yardage turrets for $59. The older friction turret leupolds won't work, need to be newer click turret scopes.

DF

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Only problem with the Outdoorsmans is that it doesn't lock. Maybe a minor point but doesn't make sense to me. I don't want it to move until I move it intentionally. The Zeiss lockable and the Swarovski that isn't offered in the US seem a lot more practical. As far as turrets that can reach out to forever I don't need it. Anywhere I'll be hunting a 400 yard shot will be a long, long and unusual shot. Probably don't even need anything more than a standard turret, but the yardage dial appeals to me.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It has a zero stop.

The turret is hard enough to turn that it's never been bumped or accidently moved. I hear about that, it just hasn't been my experience.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I can't imagine why Swaro would not offer the same in the US as elsewhere, that's weird. That's a pity, really. Maybe they'll get around to it shortly. In the meantime, some HD5 models are the choice, or the Leica ERi, which, money aside, is probably the best choice from what I hear. I don't like their plex reticle, way to fine for my use, but with illumination, 2 0z lighter weight, lots of mounting room, great eye relief and wonderful glass...along with the locking turrets, it's a solid choice...comes with a solid price though.

That being said, cameraland has a demo IBS reticle one for 1249...they don't show the plex one in their list right now, but I gotta think it's in the 13-1400 range. Might be something to consider. The HD5 seems to be easily had in the 8's currently, so that 600 bucks more, but I do hear nice things about the Leica.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't know if this appeals to anyone but if you find a turret you like these people will make a turret tape w/ANY info you want on it.
I just put one on a minox and it turned out perfect....great quality...low price.

http://customturretsystems.com/how-to/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.