Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Polaris 500 Sportsman Big Boss that needs a new chain and maybe sprockets.

Question I have is: when you replace a chain, is it generally required to replace the sprockets as well?

As a layman, the sprockets don't look that worn at all.

Also, how challenging of a job is it to replace both?

For those that aren't familiar with the Big Boss 500, it is the 6-wheeler Polaris built so I'm looking at 2 different chains and 3 or 4 sprockets.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just gotta ask ...

Why do you think the chains need to be replaced?

If the sprockets look good that's a sign that the chains/sprockets haven't worn excessively but if you've ran out adjustment on the chain tensioner then you have a problem.

FWIW, I've never looked at the chains on a Big Boss 500. I know nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the sprockets look ok, I wouldn't worry about changing them.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Chain has stretched terribly. About out of adjustment on tensioners.

Chain is loose enough that your hear a lot of chain slap every time you start moving.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are the teeth on the sprockets hooked? Look like shark fins? The bottom of the sprocket grooves should be nice and round. If there is any elongation you need to replace. A sloppy sprocket will eat a chain up pretty quick. With aluminum sprockets, they get replaced with the chain. I would just replace it all at once. It's gonna hurt but you will have peace of mind.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, when a chain wears out, generally speaking the sprockets are rather worn whether you think they are or not. After installing a new chain, it seems like it's no time before you're doing sprockets. The only way to tell if a sprocket is worn is to compare it to a new one. The opening for each tooth will be larger than the opening on the new one. The difference is subtle, but it's there. The teeth will open up considerably before they start bending over. Just eyeballing the sprocket, especially if you're not used to looking at them for wear, isn't the best way to go about it.

You'll never regret doing the job right. I always change sprockets when I change chains.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The chain and sprockets on my ATV are completely missing, and it runs fine. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with changing the sprockets as well as the chain, if the chain is stretched out, odds are the sprockets have worn to match the chain that is no longer the original pitch even if they look fine.

Pretty straight forward job with the right tools, assuming the nuts and bolts aren't rusted solid. Rusted/frozen bolts can test the most patient of men and lead to colorful language. There is also something to be said for a die grinder and new nuts and bolts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The chain and sprockets on my ATV are completely missing, and it runs fine. smile

That's cause it was built the right way, not the 'old' way! smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Chain is loose enough that your hear a lot of chain slap every time you start moving.

You could always take out a link or two.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Tarkio

You could always take out a link or two.

That's what I'd do unless I just wanted to spend money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a piece of NEW chain of the same size, lay it on the sprocket. It should match the sprocket perfectly with no loose play between the chain links. If it doesn't, the sprocket's worn and will eat a new chain.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
you should also take this time to rebuild the motor in your wife's car.......just because of the difference in years between when your ATV and when her car was made and the gravitational pull of Uranus...............but be careful if it was less than 1869 days.........the world may implode, and you will be seduced by a transvestite with a bigger dick than you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people prefer to do a job right, some people prefer to do it half azzed.

If I'm stuck in the boonies I'll do all kinds of half azzed to get back to the trail head. If however I'm going to replace worn out parts, and worn out parts that could fail and leave me stuck in the boonies I'll do the job right.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt you need sprockets. My polaris is 19 years old and my sprockets are just fine. I did replace the chain after camming the rear axel all i could to tighten it over the years.

New chain was perfect fit without the need to tinker with links and I adjusted the axel length back or however your adjustment is idk on them newer ones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Some people prefer to do a job right, some people prefer to do it half azzed.

If I'm stuck in the boonies I'll do all kinds of half azzed to get back to the trail head. If however I'm going to replace worn out parts, and worn out parts that could fail and leave me stuck in the boonies I'll do the job right.

Sounds like me I would rather replace a couple things when doing a project than tear it apart again later .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.