Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Employers in Illinois can no longer access criminal background checks on potential hires until after an interview is conducted.

Gov. Quinn signed into law this week a bill that prohibits private employers from asking applicants about their criminal history prior to determining if they are qualified for the job.

�Everyone deserves a second chance when it comes to getting a job,� Governor Quinn said in a press release. �This law will help ensure that people across Illinois get a fair shot to reach their full potential through their skills and qualifications, rather than past history. It will also help reduce recidivism, fight poverty and prevent violence in our communities by putting more people back to work.�

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
OK, I guess this is good news for embezzlers and drug dealers. Now, every bank can hire a (former) embezzler to count the money!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apparently employers in Illinois have a lot of overhead to piss away. If I did a background check on every applicant before I finished interviews I'd go broke.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rlott
Apparently employers in Illinois have a lot of overhead to piss away. If I did a background check on every applicant before I finished interviews I'd go broke.

it's easy, you profile. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gov. Quinn signed into law this week a bill that prohibits private employers from asking applicants about their criminal history prior to determining if they are qualified for the job.

So government goes about business as usual?

Double standard laws should be stricken from the books.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
So private schools and day cares can't check for child molesters?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

it's easy, you profile. laugh

What, you care if a prospective employee is a twice-convicted thief? laugh

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KansasBound
So private schools and day cares can't check for child molesters?

You have to interview them first, then run the check.

I believe that is what they are saying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's to stop an employer from asking on a job application ...

"Have you been convicted of a felony?"

Or something similar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spend a fair amount of time trying to get released felons hired into white-collar positions that they are not only qualified for, but better qualified for than anyone without a criminal record who'd be willing to work for the same pay.

I see a lot of silly behavior, stupid misconceptions, and baseless prejudice. (My guess is that I'm about to see a burst of all three right here on this thread.)

But for me, a law like that would be a complete disaster. If the background check has to be delayed until after the interview, then the very fact that a background check was conducted is evidence that the employer considered the candidate qualified for the job, which means that if he doesn't get the job because of an unrelated felony record, he can sue the employer, which means the employer isn't going to ever get within half a mile of anybody who even looks like he might possibly smell of a felony, just to avoid lawsuits.

Not only would such a law be a disaster for me and the guys I try to place: it would also be a disaster for folks who have never been to prison but for some reason look or sound like they might have been.

You don't eliminate prejudice by making laws against it. You eliminate prejudice by bringing it out into the open and turning it into a competitive disadvantage.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
He's just being proactive.

With so many former Illinois governors having been in jail, or still in jail, Gov. Quinn is trying to make it easier for himself when he gets out of prison.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking more employers will move out of Illinois

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'm thinking more employers will move out of Illinois

That way inner city Chicago can expand.

I'm sure that will be productive for the state. shocked

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What? Doesn't make sense. You mean after?

The interview costs employers a lot more money than the background check. You do it before the interview so your people don't waste time on interviewing criminals.

This new law is how progressive fascist politicians pander to members of the Ghetto Gangster class.

I wonder if employer will start using agencies to conduct the "interview" before the employee does the real interview.

Last edited by ConradCA; 07/23/14.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175

The problem comes down the road in the form of lawsuits. This means when the interviewee gets asked that question he knows he's qualified for the job. If he is then not hired, he'll be able to say it's purely because of a pesky little criminal issue somewhere in his past. Courts will decide that employers will not be permitted to discriminate against felons.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry. Didn't read Barak's post before I posted. Great minds.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Courts will decide that employers will not be permitted to discriminate against felons.

The EEOC tried this once already, that criminal background checks discriminate against minorities - but the court laughed them out of the room.

They are regrouping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the left is just following one of their main rules: If at first you don't succeed, then try, try again.

They NEVER give up.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if the state of Illinois will apply that same line of reasoning to background checks on prospective firearms purchasers ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many companies have applicants fill out or do a series of basic test. The entire process could take up to 4 months.

This usually includes: (all based on time limits.) Usually 20 to 50 questions.
1. Simple math
Like 2 + 5 = ___ answers are from - multiple choice answer
2. Complex math
Like 3 rolls of paper cost 69 cents what does 10 roll cost. again answers are from multiple choice.
3. Reading comprehension test.
4. Safety analysis test.

If you score well on this test you are then scheduled for a interview. All persons interviewed will be asked the same questions and each question will be scored on the answer that was provided to the questions from 0 to 10

Every one was asked to provide proof of a valid driver license, As most employees would at some time be driving a company vehicle. And if they were selected for an interview they had time to obtain a driver license prior to the interview.

If you scored well on your interview you were then subject to a drug test and back ground check. The score you obtain from the interview panel will determine your spot in the potential new hiring list. Example: with 20 questions a top score would be 200 and if you scored 167 and the next person scored 159 that is the score you live with.

If you pass the drug test and back ground check. The person is then slotted with their interview score on the potential hiring list. An example: In Chicago we needed to look at 100 persons to to obtain 3 potential hires that could pass the drug test.

I did job interviews for 5 years and the persons gender, age, race, religion, did not play into the hiring process.

Drug test failures were an automatic disqualification.

Back ground checks that brought up outstanding warrants, were potential disqualifications. However, The person was allowed to provide and explanation to the background check findings. With common names, sometimes a person with a clean record was tagged with someone else's record. Therefore the reason to allow a person to explain. With persons identity's being stolen at an alarming rate in the US, Allowing a person to provide an explanation was prudent.

If the person did not provide and explanation, we took that as not being interested in the job.

The company i worked for has hired, individuals with prison records and they went on to be good employees.

Last edited by Bwana338; 07/23/14.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 44 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.