-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Critters can go a long ways here in a few "seconds"...

This is a better pic of the area that buck above was shot.

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Jason,

I have heard many third hand accounts of big game traveling miles after their lungs were destroyed or hearts destroyed. However, it has never been my experience. Nor have I ever talked to anyone who has had to actually track any such game any great distance.

My last buck I shot had one lung destroyed. I'd doubt if he made it 50 yards. He was dead when I walked up to him.

A good rule of thumb is to always go with the rule as opposed to citing an exception in effort to refute the rule.

Take care

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the "Rule" again?

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/30/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen both elk and big mule deer go quite a fugging ways with wrecked lungs. Broken shoulders...? Not so much.

Tanner

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What also works? Shooting again.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
What also works? Shooting again.

Yep... that bolt best be flying if critters are still on their feet.

Tanner

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

Also with less tissue destruction (internal) it takes bigger animals longer to run out of oxygenated blood to result in death. In that 'longer' time those larger animals WILL be able to go 'farther' and could wind up in terrain WE wouldn't want to have to get them out of , deep ravines or downfall timber etc.

My original point!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've seen both elk and big mule deer go quite a fugging ways with wrecked lungs. Broken shoulders...? Not so much.

Tanner

THANKS to Tanner & 4th Point for verification. Anyone who's hunted a lot has seen animals do AMAZING and sometimes unbelievable things.

They are not necessarily the exception, they do happen more often than any ONE may see.

Last edited by jwall; 07/30/14.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Souci,
Guess which way he ran?

Downhill, of course. Check the last pic... this was the hillside I was hunting. Not exactly a Kansas cornfield. Cell-phone pics suck, but I think you get the picture.

Lucky for me he ran into a pile of blow-down, and crashed. Otherwise he might have made it to the bottom of the canyon.

So my answer to your question to Boxer is, "Hell yes a critter can live for more than 'seconds'".
Where the hell do you get this idea that animals die within seconds?
Jason

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SansSouci
A good rule of thumb is to always go with the rule as opposed to citing an exception in effort to refute the rule.

Take care

Souci,

I'm going to cite another exception...

Shot this little buck on the wet-side of Kansas to put meat in the freezer. Another 200gr Nosler Accubond from a 300 Win Mag, at ~50 yards. I jumped this buck and another.

Shot the little guy high-chest on the near-side rear portion of chest. Bullet exited low-chest, far-side front portion. Kansas ain't as flat as some people claim. Both lungs wrecked.

He lived more than "seconds". After the shot he trotted off while I worked the bolt in disbelief. Surely I pummeled this buck with my uber-magnum. Why didn't he drop from the doppel-lung shot?

He strolled around a knob in the cornfield... probably looking for his bud. In this time he could have covered MILES. I wonder if he would have done just that, if he wasn't cruising with his buddy?

Anyway, check out the pic where I tied para-cord to keep him from sliding down the Kansas hillside. Steep and slippery is a vast understatement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Someone mentioned earlier that they have not killed that many animals. Well I've killed hundreds.

A CNS shot, they are DRT.

[Linked Image]
85 gr. Nosler Partition, 240 Weatherby

[Linked Image]
200 Gr. Nosler Accubond, 325 WSM

Sever the Spine/vertebrae and they drop and paddle. Does not kill like a CNS Shot, and often you need to finish up with a second shot if one wants to be humane.

[Linked Image]
180 Gr. Nosler Partiton, 30-06 Springfield, spine shot, dropped at the POI.

[Linked Image]
225 Gr. Nosler Accubond, 35 Whelen, Severed vertebrae between ear and shoulder. Dropped and paddled.

[Linked Image]
257 Weatherby, 100 gr. Partition. Severed Vertebrae, Dropped at the shot.

Break both front shoulders they don't go far.

[Linked Image]
338 RUM, 200 Gr. Ballistic Silvertip Dropped at the shot.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/350pig1.jpg[/img]
225 gr. Accubond, 350 Rem Mag. Dropped at the shot.

Heart/lung shots in heavy cover is a good way to lose an animal. Had to track each of these by blood trail.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/292.jpg[/img]
150 Gr. Ballistic Silvertip, 7Mag, ran 75 yds. +/

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/MVC-013S-1.jpg[/img]
180 gr. Nosler Partition, 30-06 Springfield. High lung shot, ran +/- 80 yds and piled up.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSCN5877.jpg[/img]
110 gr. Accubond, 25-06. High lung shot, ran +/- 120 yds.

I tend to favor 7mm and up. May not be necessary, but I like the margin of confidence. Shot placement is paramount.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So Souci,

I gotta ask, what type of game are you doppel-lunging with instant kills? And what terrain?

And what is the "Rule"?

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Can't say I have seen that, at least not with expanding bullets and at least modest velocity. I have seen elk go a couple hundred yards with two wrecked lungs, but its always been steep downhill and they had only a few seconds to do so.

I hadn't planned to kill this lion, but decided to after the third chase. Since I hadn't planned to kill it, dumbass me only had .38 FMJs...MISTAKE...he DID live for several minutes with 2 rounds through his lungs. Dogs caught him on the ground. That was a trip to the vet and a new pair of shorts. Lesson learned the hard way. Broke shoulders would have helped for sure here, but I think the schitty bullet was more of an issue than the lung shot. Critters (and lions especially) normally die quickly with expanding bullets through the lungs, even at lowly 22LR speeds.

[Linked Image]

FMJs and hard casts are a no-no for hunting...unless CNS shots are in the mix. This is one of the few times I think bullet design is more important than placement, within reason. By placement I mean shoulders vs pure lung...shoot them in the guts/ass and all bets are off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Badass picture DH, that's not the first rodeo I've heard of with dogs catching cats out in the open... pretty gruesome what can happen after! It's hard to tell from the photo- is that a female or a Tom?

I should have been more clear on what I meant by "quite a fugging ways"... I've seen a handful of elk and deer each go 300-400 yards uphill, downhill, and sideways after solid lung shots.... but some of them I'd attribute to poor bullet performance as much as anything else. I have definitely become a fan of shoulder shots, though.

Off to AK Friday morning....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by geedubya
Shot placement is paramount.

Yep, good advice, might heard it before. wink

Originally Posted by jeffbird
Shot placement is paramount and trumps all.

Won't argue with that,

Best,

GWB

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...arch/true/Re_I_have_the_urge#Post9025098

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It was a small tom. About 100(ish) pounds.
[Linked Image]

Shoulder shots work no doubt, but I get tired of dealing with this:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If not dealing with a ruined heart (my absolute favorite part) and that nasty, gritty bone marrow all over the meat means a possible 200 yards track, but more likely a 30-50 yard or less (quite often MUCH less) track, I'll take it every time. Its all what we have confidence in I guess.

Have fun in AK. It's been a while since I have been there. Take advantage of all that you can while there.

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 07/31/14. Reason: wrong pic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone mentioned earlier that they have not killed that many animals. Well I've killed hundreds.

A CNS shot, they are DRT.

I'm not as old as some of you fuggers grin

Jason

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Camp-drink-poker-dominos-
Bullshitt, its whats for dinner...

ya got it wrong, bozo.... smile

Drink like fish.
Lie like lawyers.
Don't admit to nothin.
Who's turn cooking.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can understand the problem with lung shot animals moving off a ways from a solid lung hit...the lungs are the gas line and it takes a few seconds for the gas (blood) to run out before the engine is out of fuel.

By force of habit I have always try to angle shots into shoulders coming or going and catch the vital plumbing along the way if I can...this immobilizes and destroys vitals at the same time,and tends to work well,whether it's a pronghorn or brown bear,but nothing is guaranteed once you cut loose.Your bullet has to work.

One 6x6 quartering "on" was hit on the point of the shoulder with a 180 NPT at not far off 500 yards and collapsed like the proverbial dynamited smokestack.The bullet broke through the heavy bone, wrecked the chest and was recovered against the hide on the back ribs. He never got up.

But another hit near the back of the lungs at about the same distance sauntered off 75-100 yards;bedded down and jumped up as I approached and had to be finished at that point.Conversely a 300 pound bear ( one of those little Maine bears smile was hit through the lungs with a 140 Bitterroot was DRT and never got up...lungs were a train wreck.

My last mule deer buck was on the move and hit through shoulders and spine with a 130 Partition that went through and through at about 80 yards. He was dead so instantly that I saw his head snap between his legs as the rifle recoiled.

Another had his lungs scrambled with a 130 Sierra but had enough fuel left that he clung to life but did not go far.

I have not had much problem with ruined meat but tend to use tough, antiquated designs like NPT's and Bitterroots; but give them lots of velocity and twist...they tend to kill like bombs out to 400-500 yards,as far as I have used them,and penetrate more than needed regardless what I hit,which is why I keep using them.Putting them on bone helps expedite matters,too. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4th,

I'm luckier than you,because Kansas is piss flat and of rather modest vegetation...as my front yard attests. Trio of Bucks sauntering across the lawn,not too many days ago.

[Linked Image]

I love lung shots.

Laffin'!

SloppyPoosy,

Your Imagination and Pretend are a [bleep] hoot!

I'll yet again feign my "surprise",that the culmination of what you've "heard" and your pard "Joe" have "done",soundly trump your Couchbound "Adventures".

You drooling "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot!

Keep doing your "best".

Wow.

KchuntShoot,

One in the ass,is better than two in the grass.

Prolly my favorite Ass Shot of ALL Time.

[Linked Image]

You really "get after it".

Laffin'!

'wall,

Don't forget about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore,if only because it's unbecoming. Laffin'! You Whined long and loud how you were "out"(but were never even close to being in) and that is some seriously funny [bleep] schit. Congratulations?!?

You musta "forgot" that you was gonna wax eloquent on the 300Winny and "tell" me "all" about the chambering...yet your kchunt cain't leave the couch and a cat's got your tongue. I'm really "surprised" too,because you were doing so "great". Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

Dog',

I've seen alotta schit,soak alotta schit.

Meat gets shot in the ear,Booners get broken shoulders. Lady Elk get ear-holed.

162 offside exit shoulder,started at 3100fps+ and impact distance 80-ish yds.

Never took a [bleep] step...because he couldn't. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I should upload a bunch more video,to get minds right.(grin)

Bob',

Noone loves crushing skeletal structure,more than I.

I'd much rather hit the Emergency Brake,than engage 4-Wheel Drive.

Lung Poppers are typically Hay Bale & Crockett Texans and they've the luxury of schit being hemmed in by fences.

"Lucky" bastards.

Laffin'!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.