Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9044679 07/23/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took a client out this past weekend for a leisurely hunt for a trophy ram that was going to be close to 30" but not
over If we saw one and I never thought the hunt would turn out like it did. Morning one we work the south end of the ranch
spotting a few ewes here and there along with some young rams but nothing exciting. About the time we
were going to brake for lunch we check one last canyon and right at the bottom of it there was a group
of 32+ Aoudad making there way out of the bottom of the hill side to bed down. After giving them all a good
once over they just weren't what we were looking for. We head back and kill a couple hours before the evening hunt,
6:00pm we head out and its 102 degrees outside no breeze and humid- this is going to be a blast I think to myself.
I head straight to the nearest water tank in hopes of catching a few Aoudad coming down or leaving from a drink.
Before we even get there 2 rams were spotted with one being exactly what we were looking for, we quickly scrambled
to get into position and my client made a good shot putting the ram down. We took pictures and got the ram taken care
of then took a tour of the ranch as the sun was setting, long story short I forgot the range finder on a ledge we were
taking pictures from so we were going to head back in the Am to look for it.

Morning rolls around and on our way back to look for the range finder my client asked me if we saw a big old ewe he would like to take it
so we get to where I think the range finder is and we found it right where I left it. We threw the binos up across the canyon in hopes
to find an ewe and directly across the canyon a group of 10 rams were spotted bedded down with the biggest being about 28" , I look a bit south
and spot movement which I quickly realize they were 3 BIG chocolate colored Aoudad rams making there way up out of the canyon to the top.
My client quickly made the decision to take a 2nd ram and we try to get him on them but with the sun in our face and angle of the shot
I made the call to back out in fear of wounding an animal. Everyone was a bit bummed after that and we went back to looking for an ewe, I went
20 yards the other direction to check a pocket we hadn't seen yet and as I peaked over the edge immediately I spotted another band a rams with
about a dozen in the group and one ancient ram with them. I get my client into position he makes the shot hitting hitting a bit far back so we give
him some time, do a quick tracking job and finish him off. This is the biggest bodied ram I have ever seen on the ground, he was every bit of 400lbs
with a very thick hide.

He was taped at 34.5" solid maybe a hair larger and the 1st ram was a hair under 29".
It was a fantastic weekend of hunting

www.westtexashuntorg.com
915 328 0645 Mike

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1st Ram
[Linked Image]

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

WOW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fantastic animal.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice Goat

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WOW is right.....! Fantastic animal.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might just have to consider one of those DIY hunts for these, next year.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Nice rams. Wondering what rifle, cartridge and bullet.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what a thrill, to take a fine animal like that. Another "WOW".

Sadly, I am in the middle of some dental work. Two implants, and three crowns. Each of which, would about cover a hunt. frown

Last edited by Mannlicher; 07/23/14.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do people normally eat aoudad? I have heard very mixed reviews on whether or not the smell will get to you before you can even get the skin off.

Don't have them around here, but I would like to hunt one of those one day. I just rather not shoot one if the animal can't be utilized

Harry
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice rams!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EWY
Nice rams. Wondering what rifle, cartridge and bullet.

Ernie

The first shot was with a .338 Lapua , I am not sure the specs on the round. The finishing shot was with the clients lighter rifle a 7mm STW 140grn. partition.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Do people normally eat aoudad? I have heard very mixed reviews on whether or not the smell will get to you before you can even get the skin off.

Don't have them around here, but I would like to hunt one of those one day. I just rather not shoot one if the animal can't be utilized

Like any animal that is rutting in most cases they do stink. These rams are very tough critters so naturally the meat is tough. I have several clients that come out every year just for a meat hunt. I would recommend coming during the winter time because it can be quite hot out here and the meat spoils in a hurry. With a little care and preparation its not bad though. The best way Ive had it was chicken fried in a green chile sauce rather than gravy.

www.westtexashunt.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a freakin' beast Mike!

I shot mine last September on a buddy's ranch with his 25.06 firing a Hornady 117 grain SST. It was a good 80 yard broadside shot and he went nowhere. I hunted them again in the Texas Hill Country last month and I will hunt them more in the future, probably farther out in West Texas.

My pal likes to eat the ewes and younger Aoudad, but won't even attempt to eat the big boys, but he has lots of exotics on his place and can pick and choose what he takes to eat.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
West Texas is a totally different ball game than the hill country hunts. Those big barren mountains and cliff faces are a challenge to hunt. I like them both but there's nothing like looking straight up at a big ram on a near vertical drop that is looking down at you.

www.westtexashunt.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mulie_mike
West Texas is a totally different ball game than the hill country hunts. Those big barren mountains and cliff faces are a challenge to hunt. I like them both but there's nothing like looking straight up at a big ram on a near vertical drop that is looking down at you.

The only way to hunt aoudad is like MM suggests. Free range, far W TX is the ticket. A fantastic experience. I haven't found a way to eat aoudad that I can take, but Geedub has (then again that dude will apparently eat anything... :))

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,738
Posts18,457,613
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.